Thread: FYI: Complete Removal of Texture from Heads

User Info Menu

Default FYI: Complete Removal of Texture from Heads

It was an "accident." I wanted to simply clean an Evans snare drum head for use on a snare, but instead of grabbing the Windex, I grabbed a bottle of Mean Green spray cleanser. In milliseconds it completely removed the textured finish (except for the logo!), leaving a clean, smooth white head. Not what I intended, but posted for your information. So, if you want a smooth white Evans head, that's how you do it. Drats.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: FYI: Complete Removal of Texture from Heads

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    It was an "accident." I wanted to simply clean an Evans snare drum head for use on a snare, but instead of grabbing the Windex, I grabbed a bottle of Mean Green spray cleanser. In milliseconds it completely removed the textured finish (except for the logo!), leaving a clean, smooth white head. Not what I intended, but posted for your information. So, if you want a smooth white Evans head, that's how you do it. Drats.

GeeDeeEmm
    Did it change the sound?

User Info Menu

I bet they are clean though!

Like longgun asked, did it change the sound? I'm just wondering though, over time, doesn't the texture kind of wear off anyway from playing a lot?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Evans coating seems to come off very easily.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Evans coating seems to come off very easily
    Funny, my Remos' coating wore off much faster than Evans' or Aquarian's.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Seems to me that Aquarian coatings last much longer than Remo or Evans.....
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Funny, my Remos' coating wore off much faster than Evans' or Aquarian's.
    One of those anomaly's of life I suppose. All Evans heads I've had lost coating quickly.

all the best...

User Info Menu

...and back in the day I bought drum head coating spray for my Remos. Yes, there was such a thing! Evans and Aquarian were not popular then, maybe not even in production, IDK.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

That is on of the reason why I only use clear heads. 2nd reason never liked the coated for leaving stick marks all over the cymbals and they show dirt.

User Info Menu

haha i love simple green.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Did it change the sound?
    Don't know yet. I just grabbed another head out of the reserves and used that. I'll try the bald Evans sometime and post the result.

KayGee - Were those pre-D'Addario Evans heads that shed their skin? Before being acquired by D'Addario, Evans products were downright inferior in quality. Since D'Addario bought the company there has been a dramatic change. I don't think I've had any texture coat fail on any of the newer Evans heads I've used. Completely different animal now.

User Info Menu

I'm always apprehensive about using cleaners like Windex, Mean Green, Purple Power, etc.. They work well, but sometimes do funny stuff to some metals, plastics and especially ink writing. Like Spaz said, I found Simple Green to work well and never had a problem with it hurting paint, decals, plastics, etc.. In fact, a 1/4 cup of Simple Green in a bucket of water is amazing for washing your car at home. It dries with no water spots (even with hard water) and leaves a shine like wax. It even makes water bead off the windows.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The Evans I'm talking about were bought with in the last couple of years. I don't mind the over all performance of Evans, just something I've noticed. At least with Remo, the mylar under the coating is white so it doesn't allow me to see the floor through the drum.

all the best...