Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth Sticks

I currently use 5BN.............but I'm going through pairs quicker than I prefer.
    They grind down in the shoulder area due to hats and cymbals and within a week or two become sawdust.
    Therefore, I am looking a three other models (larger nylon tips and/or shoulder areas, similar weight and length) -- can anyone tell me about their personal experiences with any of these Vic Firth models ???

3AN

SOH

SAG
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vic Firth Sticks

I don't have any experience with the specific sticks you listed but I do use Vic Firth 7A nylon tips. The 7A stick has held up much better compared to the Vater 5A Los Angeles series stick that I was using prior to the switch.

As you stated, the sticks you currently use wear down around the shoulder area. Just by mere looks, the SOH stick has a thicker shoulder compared to the other sticks. I'd assume you'd get more "life" around the shoulder on the SOH stick compared to the others.

The SAG stick is longer than the other two you listed and it's also the thickest stick but the shoulder looks similar to the 3AN which would concern me if pre-mature shoulder wear were a concern.

3AN

Barrel tip produces bright, articulate
    cymbal sounds. Great for light rock and
    fusion. L = 16”, Dia. = .580”

SOH

OMAR HAKIM (SOH)
    Round nylon tip for a brilliant cymbal
    sound. In honey hickory.
    L = 16”, Dia. = .585”

SAG

ALEX GONZÁLEZ (SAG)
    Features a barrel shaped nylon tip on
    a 5B shaft. Powerful and articulate.
    L = 16 1/2”, Dia. = .600”

Last edited by late8; 07-09-2015 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Rich -- you are great with posting helpful graphics, etc.......thank you.

My resolution is likely to be to order one pair of all three of these models and give them a test-drive.
    Yesterday I searched the entire provisions of Regal Tip, Pro Mark and Vic Firth and came up with these three as my best options.

You are correct in that the thicker shoulder will help the life-duration of my stick...........I also remember playing a "round ball" nylon tip in the past (such as the SOH) and really liking the loudness of the ride cymbal.

I'm currently using the VF 5BN (.595) and I love the feel of it but I go through them like a good box of candy.............I bought 12 pair with an on-line sale about 5 months ago and I have a few left.

The rug under my kit is covered with sawdust.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

You're welcome. If you are currently using a stick with a .595 diameter, the SOH might feel "thin" in your hand. Grant it, there's only a .10 difference but the thickness of a stick makes a huge difference on how well I can keep my hands relaxed without resorting to a death grip. I'll swap from 5A to 7A during different songs in our set list and I immediately notice my hands struggling to hold on to the thinner 7A stick.
    Last edited by late8; 07-10-2015 at 11:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for all your help, Rich.
    I just ordered two pair of each of these three models.
    Added to the few 5BN pairs I have, this gives me about ten pair with which to play around and experiment.
    Looking forward to the different feel of each..............maybe I'll discover a new favorite that also lasts longer !!!
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

The SAG and the 3AN, once in your hands, are more similar than expected........SAG is slightly longer.
    The SOH feels a slight bit skinny but I love the "ball tip" on the ride cymbal.
    All three of these choices feel "stiff" compared to the 5BN.

Out of these three selections (which are all very good) , so far I like the 3AN best.

It feels a bit bigger, heavier and very strong............in spite of the measurements provided............a bit of a move toward a 2B without feeling like a Lincoln Log.
    These sticks are just a bit louder with a bit more attack on the toms..........I'm guessing they just fit my style better.
    The 5BN sticks (which I have been using for three years) still have better bounce and overall feel than all three of these options, but I go through them faster.

My thought is to carry a pair of all 3 of these new options in the stick bag and use what is best for the present gig, whatever that might be.

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Mr. Firth; we are blessed with many quality drumstick providers in the market today but for my tastes, I prefer Vic Firth.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Just a question, Rick: do you dent your drumheads?

I don't know how to explain it, but about fifteen or twenty years ago (oh, my! ) I just almost completely stopped breaking sticks. I can't really explain why, except that at that time I can remember focusing a lot on how I hit the drums and cymbals and using more of a "whipping" action rather than muscling sound out of the drums. Even though I use significantly less energy, I play just as loud as before. At the same time, I stopped denting heads.

Could the stick-breaking problem be related more to how you play rather than the drumsticks themselves? Not accusing - just asking.

Of course, if you play lots of rimshots on the snare, there are very few sticks that can stand up to that kind of punishment. (And that might explain some of the changes I made, as well, because I used to play hard rimshots on every snare hit - even on fast single-stroke rolls. Excuse the rambling - I'm typing out loud here.)

I wish I could better explain the changes I made to stop breaking sticks and denting heads, but honestly, it's been so long ago that I don't have a clear memory of it.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    do you dent your drumheads?
    Could the stick-breaking problem be related more to how you play rather than the drumsticks themselves? Not accusing - just asking.
    I wish I could better explain the changes I made to stop breaking sticks and denting heads, but honestly, it's been so long ago that I don't have a clear memory of it.
    Answer = no & no.

Here is the original question in the original post :

I currently use 5BN.............but I'm going through pairs quicker than I prefer.
    They grind down in the shoulder area due to hats and cymbals and within a week or two become sawdust.
    Therefore, I am looking a three other models (larger nylon tips and/or shoulder areas, similar weight and length) -- can anyone tell me about their personal experiences with any of these Vic Firth models ???
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Mr. Firth; we are blessed with many quality drumstick providers in the market today but for my tastes, I prefer Vic Firth.
    I seriously doubt that Vic made the sticks personally or that they will stop being made.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I seriously doubt that Vic made the sticks personally or that they will stop being made.
    LOL...............implication not intended.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Sounds like you prefer your hats set high and cymbals relatively flat therefore the sawdust. I often have to compromise between chewing up sticks verses having my hats/cymbals lower than I want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sounds like you prefer your hats set high and cymbals relatively flat therefore the sawdust. I often have to compromise between chewing up sticks verses having my hats/cymbals lower than I want.

I hear ya...................

I don't want to lower any cymbals or hats, so I have to live with stick-chewing.
    The sticks in the photo are VF 5BN.............love them, but as much as I have been at the kit lately (learning a lot of material), I'm going through a pair of sticks every ten days or so.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I don't want to lower any cymbals or hats, so I have to live with stick-chewing.
    The sticks in the photo are VF 5BN.............love them, but as much as I have been at the kit lately (learning a lot of material), I'm going through a pair of sticks every ten days or so.
    That's a beefy looking stick. Nice kit too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice kit too
    Ebony gloss..............pretty cool, huh ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I started using ahead sticks a few years ago......................they took awhile to get used to, but now, I prefer them to any other stick!

I haven't broken one yet......................my first pair was bought around 5 years ago................I'm using the "Tico Torres" sticks for the last three+ years and not a single break.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I started using ahead sticks a few years ago......................they took awhile to get used to, but now, I prefer them to any other stick!
    I haven't broken one yet......................my first pair was bought around 5 years ago................I'm using the "Tico Torres" sticks for the last three+ years and not a single break.
    I have heard they are slippery and easy to drop...............true ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have heard they are slippery and easy to drop...............true ?
    I use stick wax...........and have for quite a few years.............IMO they aren't any more slippery than a normal stick.

User Info Menu

Ebony gloss..............pretty cool, huh ?
    They must look a little different in person. From the photo's I would have thought walnut brown...Like my 8x14 snare.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    They must look a little different in person. From the photo's I would have thought walnut brown...Like my 8x14 snare.

all the best...
    Yep............coming on August 26th :
    I will have those shells 38 years.
    They are not as pretty as they used to be; but they sound gorgeous.
    They were delivered to me on 8/26/77.
    (Exactly 10 days after Elvis died).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Yep............coming on August 26th :
    I will have those shells 38 years.
    My lard! I've never kept anything that long - 'cept my underwear!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

They look great. What do you know about the company circa 1983? That was when I got mine, but I believe they were being made in Nashville or somewhere at the time. Mine have the square badge, with a mirrored GRETSCH USA.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 08-01-2015 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

The set I use in my videos was bought at Sam Ash in NYC in either '71 or '72.

The basic set is: 24x14, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, and there was a 13x9 that came with the set that I never used until a few years ago.

They were used in probably 80% to 90% of my gigs, and they were the set I kept when I retired. I sold 2 sets of Ludwig Black Pearls, a set of Rogers White Pearls, and a set of Slingerland White Pearls.

I was always surprised that for the few that watch my videos, that nobody ever noticed that the up tom holder was a Slingerland Set-O_Matic. While it's fragile by today's standards, it held a 14x10 tom for over 40 years.

With all due respects to my brother (and sister) drummers, I have never understood how drummers go through so many sticks. I broke 1 stick playing about a year and a half ago, and it was the 1st stick that I broke while actually playing in about 40 years. The same goes for heads and cymbals. I think the last head I broke, while playing, was when I was about 14, and I've never broken a cymbal.

As for all the broken sticks, I don't want to say that it's bad technique when we have too many accomplished drummers on DC, so I have to go in the other direction and ask, "How hard do you hit the drums and cymbals?"

In this day and age, where everything is mic'ed to the max, the need to beat the crap out of everything seems a bit redundant.

Just a opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    My lard! I've never kept anything that long - 'cept my underwear!

GeeDeeEmm

Must be "stand alone" Fruit of the Looms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The set I use in my videos was bought at Sam Ash in NYC in either '71 or '72.

The basic set is: 24x14, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16, and there was a 13x9 that came with the set that I never used until a few years ago.

They were used in probably 80% to 90% of my gigs, and they were the set I kept when I retired. I sold 2 sets of Ludwig Black Pearls, a set of Rogers White Pearls, and a set of Slingerland White Pearls.

I was always surprised that for the few that watch my videos, that nobody ever noticed that the up tom holder was a Slingerland Set-O_Matic. While it's fragile by today's standards, it held a 14x10 tom for over 40 years.

With all due respects to my brother (and sister) drummers, I have never understood how drummers go through so many sticks. I broke 1 stick playing about a year and a half ago, and it was the 1st stick that I broke while actually playing in about 40 years. The same goes for heads and cymbals. I think the last head I broke, while playing, was when I was about 14, and I've never broken a cymbal.

As for all the broken sticks, I don't want to say that it's bad technique when we have too many accomplished drummers on DC, so I have to go in the other direction and ask, "How hard do you hit the drums and cymbals?"

In this day and age, where everything is mic'ed to the max, the need to beat the crap out of everything seems a bit redundant.

Just a opinion.
    I don't hit hard.......I don't break heads..........I don't break sticks.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Have you considered the shogun 5B oak sticks? I tried them out because I was chipping tips like nobody's business and was pleased with the results.
    Mmm... Saturns.