Thread: Bass drum endurance

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum endurance

If any of you are familiar with derek roddys endurance exercise,it sure is tough especially when you have to alternate the feet.i cant go for two minutes straight without taking a 5 second break but wow double bass is really strenuous.also did samba feet for 10 minutes.hoping to see improvements with these exercises.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum endurance

I don't play double bass, I'm still trying to master the speed king single pedal..but I will tell you what I found out the hard way.. and that is to do some calf stretches or you could injury yourself like I did.
    A while back I went all whole hog playing for hours at a time, guess I was trying to get somewhere in a hurry.I'm old now and my broke down body couldn't handle it but even if you are young,you still need to build up to it gradually.

So there's a lesson here..Be patient and just work on doing things cleanly and in time. and the speed and the endurance will come.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I don't play double bass, I'm still trying to master the speed king single pedal..but I will tell you what I found out the hard way.. and that is to do some calf stretches or you could injury yourself like I did.
    A while back I went all whole hog playing for hours at a time, guess I was trying to get somewhere in a hurry.I'm old now and my broke down body couldn't handle it but even if you are young,you still need to build up to it gradually.

So there's a lesson here..Be patient and just work on doing things cleanly and in time. and the speed and the endurance will come.
    And don't eat at McDonalds.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Hahah yeah.. i wish someone had mentioned that to me 20 years ago... It's amazing how much your body says screw you at about 35 or so if you didnt take care of it

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    And don't eat at McDonalds.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=wired;652233]I don't play double bass, I'm still trying to master the speed king single pedal..but I will tell you what I found out the hard way.. and that is to do some calf stretches or you could injury yourself like I did.
    Ok i took your advice and the next day my body was still cramping from the day before.so i stretched and slowed the tempo to about 120 and it sound cleaner and i got through the routine without feeling like i was about to die.
    Oh i dont play double bass i just use the hihat so i can work on both feet

User Info Menu

Here's a great video exploring 6/8 time which while not perfect is just so cool.
    In fact there's a lot of great lessons to his videos. He's a nut but what he's teaching would cost somebody hundreds of dollars to learn. I mean "Nut" in a good way,He has a ton of knowledge to offer and he has chops,and great groove upon groove,fills. Seriously Terry's a badman!

On the stretching and exercising/diet stuff the others comments about taking care of your body have it right. Learn all you can about that foods/drinks you put in your body along with the stretching and the proper way to go about it. There's usually wrong and right ways to go about anything.
    Also I know of a young drummer (28) who does some pretty cutting edge stuff and because of the challenge of the music the endurance of it. That even he has these exercises/stretches routines that he does before gigs and practice.
    Last edited by wired; 07-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Derrek Roddy is a beast!!!

User Info Menu

Here's a great video exploring 6/8 time which while not perfect is just so cool.
    In fact there's a lot of great lessons to his videos. He's a nut but what he's teaching would cost somebody hundreds of dollars to learn. I mean "Nut" in a good way,He has a ton of knowledge to offer and he has chops,and great groove upon groove,fills. Seriously Terry's a badman!

On the stretching and exercising/diet stuff the others comments about taking care of your body have it right. Learn all you can about that foods/drinks you put in your body along with the stretching and the proper way to go about it. There's usually wrong and right ways to go about anything.
    Also I know of a young drummer (28) who does some pretty cutting edge stuff and because of the challenge of the music the endurance of it. That even he has these exercises/stretches routines that he does before gigs and practice.
    Thanks man

User Info Menu

Yeah he is good but should start a go fund me page so he can get a headset to speak into. I find myself constantly turning my volume up and down when he talks and plays. Great idea's and practice tips though
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

holy toledo! i've just tried this, was doing even 16th note triplets, this is the best blues-rock exercise ever!

dude in the vid moves his arms too much, kinda distracting, but the content is GOLD!!!

Wired, put yourself in for a promotion!!!

User Info Menu

Hey man glad you liked the link.. I didn't want to hi jack the thread and I'm too lazy to start another thread. But Terry has two youtube channels. I like to watch the crazy man late at night when I can't sleep.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bonzoleum/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/TerryKeatingDrums/videos
    Last edited by wired; 07-14-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck