Thread: Soca or calypso

User Info Menu

Default Soca or calypso

Anyone enjoys playing soca music or calypso/extempo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Soca or calypso

I love it.....

Not much "work" for it out here....but I'd love to have a full-time playing gig doing that stuff.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Soca or calypso

Keish, my DrumChat nickname spells it out for ya. I can play both set and hand drums, but give me the choice and I'll sit down behind the congas and bongos every time. Must admit the St. Louis area isn't a hotbed of calypso action, but that doesn't stop me from workin' on tje Latin stuff almost every day.

Must admit I'd love playin' down your way -- or visitin' Cuba -- but that's gonna take some work, too!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I study it. I'm just not very good at it.

User Info Menu

I have some CD's of authentic old school calypso from Trinidad (Lord Kichener, et al).
    Great stuff, clever lyrics, frequently on the risqué side. I am a big fan of folk & vernacular music from around the globe. Would love to get my band to work up one of those old chestnuts, 'Shame & Scandal' for instance, I bet could be a crowd-pleaser.

I have heard some of the modern So-Ca music, and did not care for it. To my ears it sounds like monotonous electronic dance music, and not "roots-y" enough for my taste. In fact, not sure there was even real drums on what I heard ...sounded programmed to me.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 09-27-2015 at 06:23 AM.