Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What genre have you never played and why?

User Info Menu

Default What genre have you never played and why?

Hi,
    Just wondering, is there a genre of music you have never played, but would like to try?What has stopped you
    And why have you never tried it before?
    I am really getting into funk! It is really good fun to play.
    I have a friend who is a guitar tutor and is awesome at playing, he once said jazz is what you start to learn to play when you can play everything else!
    I think I know what he means, jazz seems pretty vast and complicated to me.
    Bridie
    I think I may try it one day

User Info Menu

Default Re: What genre have you never played and why?

I tried learning Indian music but it's very different from western music.

User Info Menu

Anything metal related. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondering, is there a genre of music you have never played, but would like to try?What has stopped you
    I have a friend who is a guitar tutor and is awesome at playing, he once said jazz is what you start to learn to play when you can play everything else!
    Bridie
    If you begin to really listen and understand jazz, everything else sounds like "kiddie" music!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Polka. Don't like the music, though the rhythms may be fun to play...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Anything metal related. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole!

all the best...

Same. I just don't like it, not because I can't play it.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Bridie
    Great question Bridie!

Funk is fun! Jazz can be ultra-intimidating at first if you don't grow up with it but, like anything else, you just take it a little at a time and you'll eventually grasp it.

To more directly answer your question, I've never played greek music and only because I just never pursued it. There's a lot of odd times in their music. It would probably be quite challenging since we focus so much on 4/4 in mainstream music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Polka. Don't like the music, though the rhythms may be fun to play...
    Years ago...I did a sub gig for a polka band. It was an unexpected blast.

Probably 600 people.....all "well-lubricated" having a great time.

Easy......EASY crowd.

Had an older woman come up to me flirting with me and say...."If I was only ten years younger!"

I then said back to her...."yeah...and I was ten years older!"

She wasn't happy about that response.....but the rest of the gig was really fun.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Actually, like Tom brings up, there's tons of ethnic music; Serbian/Balkan, Arabian, Oriental, et al...on & on...to which most of us have very limited exposure, let alone getting to play.

User Info Menu

Cool, I have tried Indian drumming, I loved it. Would love a go on a sitar if I knew anyone with one.
    I think jazz is something I will check out , and maybe get into when I am older.
    We have a few djembes, congos, talblas, and such like in school, they are fun too and I would like to try and play a Bodhran, cool for busking
    One I do steer away from is death metal, it is just that fast and heavy you lose something, you might have amazing technique but hard to appreciate it !
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Jazz is for me the best music ever, the freedom of rock combined with the intellect of classical with a blues feeling. It's a completely different style of playing, so much focus on dynamics and coordination...just listen to Tony Williams on Maiden Voyage and you hear 15-20 different ideas, most rock songs give you 5...10 if you're lucky.

that being said, I don't try playing jazz much anymore, too difficult and not what my band plays.

Metal isn't my cup of tea either, generally the singing is awful and the lyrics for 14 year old boys, but there's some good stuff. I don't see myself playing double bass anytime in the next 5 years, so it's not that interesting for me for drumming. I've also spent waaay too much of my life in Moravian pubs being tortured with crappy metal.

World music is fun for me cause I have an ekit, so I can turn a knob and I now have a percussion kit. You can play the percussion parts on the toms and it sounds good, but I really like having my left foot play a cowbell instead of just the HH. I get a lot of Balkan music over here, I prefer line bands from NOLA, the same instruments, similar sound, but a much better musical background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7bv7bHK4sY
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I've never tried jazz, I don't think I really have the finesse it takes to play it. I do like listening to it though. And country. Country just seems kind of dull to me. I would like to play some disco. Always liked how the hi hats were used in a lot of old disco.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Same. I just don't like it, not because I can't play it.
    For me it's more about the subject matter. Death, doom, gloom, and occult just aren't with in my reality.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think country is under appreciated. Most drummers I think find it too simple and boring but the waltz,train beats,shuffles, and just being steady in the pocket. I think anybody if they really got into it deep could find something to hold their interest.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Punk & Rap.
    Can't get into either.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Hi,

I definitely cannot play "everything else," but I would mostly agree with that statement. Until the last year or so, I've had almost zero exposure to jazz, but I'm beginning to appreciate it. Playing it is another thing altogether, because jazz requires almost all the skills that I don't possess, primarily independence. I truly admire good jazz drummers, but if forced to play it I'd be stuck with simply playing triplets on the ride!

Country music is another story. My father was a huge devotee of roots country, so I've been constantly exposed to it since I was a child, but never had any desire to play it. Then I was hired by a couple of really good country bands for a few years and learned how to really nail it. It was not boring or monotonous, and turned out to be a lot of fun to play. But I still don't listen to it!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I tried learning Indian music but it's very different from western music.
    Yes it is its very fast too if you are talking about tassa. I think if you have good rolls you can play it

User Info Menu

I wish I had more opportunity to play jazz more. I like the atmosphere that many of the jazz gigs have. But then again....some of the gigs are a bit to "lounge- y".

I've always believed that one could be a decent working "rock" drummer with minimal skills. However, to be a decent jazz drummer ALL of your drumming facets and elements need to be polished and top-knotch. You can't "Slemph" your way through a jazz gig without it being noticed.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I tend to play very basic rock and blues type songs due to my limited abilities. I will happily play songs of genres I don't particularly care for if they are not too technically demanding in an attempt to expand my abilities. Hopefully this will pay off someday.....

I don't think I'm qualified to even listen to jazz.

User Info Menu

Love playing jazz, and love playing metal.

But I've never tried playing country. I am capable of playing country, but I haven't, because I absolutely can't stand it.

But, I'll do it if it pays. I just won't enjoy it, lol.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Jazz, Heavy Metal, rap, funk just not my cup of tea. Classic rock of the 60-70 and early 80's now that is my music

User Info Menu

Aint she cute

thank you Bridie for adding a new thread that's fun to talk about. Seems like DC's been kind of lean lately on things to talk about
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I would have to say Jazz and anything metal.

Jazz...due to not being worthy, capable or knowledgeable let alone no other members in my musicianhood are playing it.

Metal....I know for sure I couldn't-wouldn't want to play doubles at 4000 BPS.

The rest, I'll give a go if needed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

New Country.....Why? Nothing above 120 BPM

User Info Menu

Having been a lover of jazz since I was 12 (after seeing Buddy Rich with Harry James play Caravan on Jack Paar, or, I should say that I'm pretty sure it was Jack Paar), I got into Brubek, Hamilton, Blakey, Roach, Morello, Krupa, Belson, and so many others.

In the '60's and '70's, you could always find a jam at Mintons, the Lennox Lounge and numerous other clubs in NYC, especially in Harlem.

R&R was money in the bank, but jazz is so totally different that you really can't be "taught" jazz drumming. You can't teach "feel".

Our bass player used to say that I was a jazz drummer, playing in a R&R band, doing jazz fills. There is some truth in there, but not as much as he would say there was.

I love jazz. I would have played in a jazz band for half of what I was making playing R&R.

After my 1st jam session, which was about '65, I was asked back, so I knew then that I didn't screw it up. It didn't make me a 1st class jazz drummer back then, but I knew I was in the ballpark.