Thread: Cheap 3-mic setup

User Info Menu

Default Cheap 3-mic setup

So I've got a 7 piece drum setup (snare, 2 toms, 2 floor toms, 2 kicks) and I've been thinking about recording them, but I don't have the money for a proper setup. Here's my idea, I use my Blue yeti for an overhead, as it has X-Y stereo capsules built in, and 2 bass drum mics hooked into my scarlett 2i2.

This brings me to 2 questions.

1) How do you think this will sound?
    2) What mics should I get for the bass drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap 3-mic setup

You need a mic for the snare drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    You need a mic for the snare drum.
    I realize this but my only XLR interface is 2-input, and I can't afford a new interface AND 3 decent mics at once. With 2 mics, I either get both bass drums, or just one and the snare, which makes my second bass drum none but an expensive tom stand. If I get 2 mics now, I can get a nicer interface and another mic for the snare later.

User Info Menu

IMHO I would use one mic front and centered between the two bass drums approx 4 ft away. Position the second mic overhead aiming it either towards the snare or between the snare and ride or snare and hats depending on which you'd prefer to hear better. See how that works for you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Buy a mixer with at least 4 xlrs. Mackie makes one for around 120.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    IMHO I would use one mic front and centered between the two bass drums approx 4 ft away. Position the second mic overhead aiming it either towards the snare or between the snare and ride or snare and hats depending on which you'd prefer to hear better. See how that works for you.
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go.