Drum Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Microfiber cloths

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Microfiber cloths

    Have any of you used these microfiber cloths on cleaning your drum shells etc. I have just used them and they are amazing. No chemical to use just wipe dry or damp depending on how bad they are. I also use them around the house, glass,computer/tv monitors, counter tops, range tops, bathroom fixtures, tub, toilet etc. So much use and with ease. Never going back to paper towels and cleaning products ever.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Yes... All the time. Cymbals, drums, chrome... The whole lot get hit with a MF cloth. Awesome invention.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    I'm using "Swiffer" sweeper cloths: anti-static, I think. Maybe the micro fibers ave the same properties for dry cleaning-no water or chemicals.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

    http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    I just use a rag but maybe I should try one of these microfiber things.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Since I wear glasses, I have an endless supply of them. I use eyeglass cleaner on the shells with the microfiber cloths.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I'm using "Swiffer" sweeper cloths: anti-static, I think. Maybe the micro fibers ave the same properties for dry cleaning-no water or chemicals.
    Microfibers are not anti-static like swifter. You would have to read up on the MF to get an idea of why they are awesome.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-19-2015 at 03:56 PM.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Have any of you used these microfiber cloths on cleaning your drum shells etc. I have just used them and they are amazing. No chemical to use just wipe dry or damp depending on how bad they are. I also use them around the house, glass,computer/tv monitors, counter tops, range tops, bathroom fixtures, tub, toilet etc. So much use and with ease. Never going back to paper towels and cleaning products ever.
    Yup...been using them for years on the shells and cymbals. I also keep one in the glove box of the car to wipe the dash, etc. Quick and clean!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    You know it is funny that no one has ever mentioned MF until now . Everyone where mentioning everything under the sun but never MF that is odd cause it is a great product and safe on any surface. I have them all over the place e.g. studio, car, house etc.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    yep
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride


  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    I've got a mountain of micro fiber cloths. I use them for everything. Car detailing especially, b/c they don't scratch.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    I use them to polish anything that requires care.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Can you use them for waxing? If so, do the fibers get messed up from dried wax? Can you wash them, successfully, to get wax out of them? In my younger days, I used to use old cotton cloth (t shirts) to apply and wipe wax off of my car, but I only used them until the cloth was pretty well coated with wax, then threw them away. MF is a little pricey, and I wouldn't want to throw them away after each 'wax job'!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Can you use them for waxing? If so, do the fibers get messed up from dried wax? Can you wash them, successfully, to get wax out of them? In my younger days, I used to use old cotton cloth (t shirts) to apply and wipe wax off of my car, but I only used them until the cloth was pretty well coated with wax, then threw them away. MF is a little pricey, and I wouldn't want to throw them away after each 'wax job'!
    I have washed em once or twice but chrome polish kind of ruins them if it hardens before washing. Wally world sells a pack of 48 cloths for close to $20 so I don't worry about it anymore. I can get up to 4 good uses out of one cloth using polish and wax but at less than 50 cents per sheet I am not that worried about it plus I use maybe one every 2 weeks so no big deal.
    Crush Sublime Birch

    Ludwig Classic Maple (IN UTERO)

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Yes, they can be washed. I relegate my more used/washed ones to tire/wheel duty. Keep the newer ones for paint detail.

    I always thought they were rather cheap. Don't buy expensive MF cloths. Treat them as disposable or usable a few times and toss them. Or keep them and use them for less sensitive jobs.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I always thought they were rather cheap. Don't buy expensive MF cloths. Treat them as disposable or usable a few times and toss them. Or keep them and use them for less sensitive jobs.
    ^This...buy the cheap kind. The cleaning grade microfiber towels are cheaper than specific microfiber towels used for polishing:



    Avoid these. The red dye will run when the towels get wet with any liquid.


  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    And a warning...even though MF is non-scratching...you CAN and WILL scratch any surface if you rub hard enough. Take care when cleaning/polishing...whether it's your drums or your car.

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Buy the cheap kind. The cleaning grade microfiber towels are cheaper than specific microfiber towels used for polishing:


    ^This exactly. Cheap 12 pack of them is like $8 bucks at Wally World.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    I've never found MF to work very well with liquid based cleaners and polish. I use them for dry or paste wax, but I prefer an old, very thin, soft, 100% cotton dish towel for liquid spray-on polishes like Pledge and Quick Detail.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've never found MF to work very well with liquid based cleaners and polish. I use them for dry or paste wax, but I prefer an old, very thin, soft, 100% cotton dish towel for liquid spray-on polishes like Pledge and Quick Detail.
    MF towels for buffing dried wax or dried polish. For liquids, I too use a thin cotton fabric. An old bed sheet ripped into squares...

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    For really delicate jobs, use clean cloth baby diapers...the best!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    thats all i use

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Good ideas, guys, thanks. I know that soon I won't be able to help myself from giving my new gloss lacquer Cherry shells a good coat of wax. I wanna give them the best possible treatment!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Note that MF will scratch soft smooth finishes like on the car dashes. I just went over my dash in my Venza and it left scratches grrr.! I don't want to use ArmorAll or any other chemically based cleaners in my car so I guess I go back to just a wet soft rag on the dash. Just sayin be careful where you use it.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-21-2015 at 08:43 AM.

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    I have more microfiber towels then I know what to do with... we use them on the car. And I do a lot of car shows so I buy a lot of them.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini |4pc PDP Concept Maple Classic| 57 Snare drums and growing!

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Microfiber cloths

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^This...buy the cheap kind. The cleaning grade microfiber towels are cheaper than specific microfiber towels used for polishing:



    Avoid these. The red dye will run when the towels get wet with any liquid.

    those red towels are only good as shop rags. But you must keep them seperate
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini |4pc PDP Concept Maple Classic| 57 Snare drums and growing!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •