Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microfiber cloths

User Info Menu

Default Re: Microfiber cloths

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Note that MF will scratch soft smooth finishes like on the car dashes. I just went over my dash in my Venza and it left scratches grrr.! I don't want to use ArmorAll or any other chemically based cleaners in my car so I guess I go back to just a wet soft rag on the dash. Just sayin be careful where you use it.
    Gilles, so sorry to read about the scratches created by the MF towels on the Venza. Is yours a 2014 model? Here's the interior shot of that particular model year and I'm assuming the scratches you mentioned can only be seen on the smooth shiny surfaces like the plastic around the gauges? I find it hard to understand how a soft MF towel would cause scratches on the dashboard. I've been using it on my dash for years and it leaves no marks. Thanks....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Gilles, so sorry to read about the scratches created by the MF towels on the Venza. Is yours a 2014 model? Here's the interior shot of that particular model year and I'm assuming the scratches you mentioned can only be seen on the smooth shiny surfaces like the plastic around the gauges? I find it hard to understand how a soft MF towel would cause scratches on the dashboard. I've been using it on my dash for years and it leaves no marks. Thanks....

I'm with you, Rich. I've not experienced them scratching a dash ever. Or a Nav screen. Paint if I rub super hard...but that's it.

User Info Menu

Yes, Rich it is the part that goes on each side of the radio and then curls behind the gauges is very soft like leather like. The only soft spot of the whole dash. The inside of my car is all black leather easy to clean can't see the dirt. What do you guys use for cleaning leather seats?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Yes, Rich it is the part that goes on each side of the radio and then curls behind the gauges is very soft like leather like. The only soft spot of the whole dash. The inside of my car is all black leather easy to clean can't see the dirt. What do you guys use for cleaning leather seats?
    Thanks...now I understand. That's a very nice ride you have there!! I would be upset too. To condition the faux leather inserts in my car, I use this:

User Info Menu

To condition the faux leather inserts in my car, I use this:

^+1 on that!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Thanks...now I understand. That's a very nice ride you have there!! I would be upset too. To condition the faux leather inserts in my car, I use this:

I use the spray bottle version of that. Great stuff.

Here's the secret interior detail tip: MF cloth and Mequiar's Ultimate QUICK WAX. That's right. Put it on EVERYTHING. It will condition door seals. Great on leather. EVERYTHING.

User Info Menu

Another tip for car interiors....wear rubber gloves. You don't want your finger nails scratching your leather....which may have happened to you, Giles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I use the spray bottle version of that. Great stuff.

Here's the secret interior detail tip: MF cloth and Mequiar's Ultimate QUICK WAX. That's right. Put it on EVERYTHING. It will condition door seals. Great on leather. EVERYTHING.
    My OCD won't allow me to use a spray bottle on the inside. The over spray tends to splatter places where my old man eyes can no longer see well. The door seals is where most over-look. I'm glad you mentioned the tip....I'll try it next time! Thanks....

User Info Menu

Does that product come in wipes or just spray.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-21-2015 at 11:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Both.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

My OCD won't allow me to use a spray bottle on the inside. The over spray tends to splatter places where my old man eyes can no longer see well. The door seals is where most over-look. I'm glad you mentioned the tip....I'll try it next time! Thanks....
    You're 100% correct. I get overspray all over the place. Rookie move. I'll go with the bottle next time, believe that my brother!

User Info Menu

You're 100% correct. I get overspray all over the place. Rookie move. I'll go with the bottle next time, believe that my brother!
    I spray it on one cloth, wipe it where I need to and then dry it with another. Is there a better way? You guys are the pros at this.

But then again, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to detailing my car. I get it done at work all the time for $15. bucks.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I spray it on one cloth, wipe it where I need to and then dry it with another. Is there a better way? You guys are the pros at this.
    To saturate the rag, you're still constantly spraying. I know it's probably a minimal amount of overspray if you spray into the rag.

User Info Menu

But then again, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to detailing my car. I get it done at work all the time for $15. bucks.
    I like to spray directly on to the seats, especially if I have some dirt or something. Let it soak a few seconds and scrub with a stiff brush.

User Info Menu

I like to spray directly on to the seats, especially if I have some dirt or something. Let it soak a few seconds and scrub with a stiff brush.
    Awesome! Thanks marko! I appreciate it!!

But then again like I said, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to this. We have a detail shop were I work. I get the employee discount. They do a full vacuum, shampoo of carpets if needed, wipe down and protect the whole interior, wash the outside, wax, clean tires and rims and put protectant on the tires. They do a really nice job. The only thing I do is occasionally wipe things down between details and use a clay bar.

...and yes, I have taken friends and family's cars through the detail shop. shhhhh....
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Awesome! Thanks marko! I appreciate it!!

But then again like I said, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to this. We have a detail shop were I work. I get the employee discount. They do a full vacuum, shampoo of carpets if needed, wipe down and protect the whole interior, wash the outside, wax, clean tires and rims and put protectant on the tires. They do a really nice job. The only thing I do is occasionally wipe things down between details and use a clay bar.

...and yes, I have taken friends and family's cars through the detail shop. shhhhh....
    For 15 bucks? I'd do that every week.

User Info Menu

For 15 bucks?
    Yep, exactly. See why I'm lazy?

They even dust out vents and such with detail brushes if necessary.

If I didn't work here, I couldn't afford it. I think they charge over $100 for services. Yaaaa... I consider myself VERY lucky.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

For 15 bucks? I'd do that every week.
    +1................around here it's at least $50.............and that's a steal...................for $15, I'd have it done every week too.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice.. I'm gonna take one of microfiber cloths from home to training place today..
    Pearl VBL Concord fade (22" bd, 8"-10"-12"-14"-16" tt)
    Pearl JJ1365 Joey Jordison signature snare
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)
    Tama Iron Cobra douple pedal (powerglide) and HH-stand (flexi glide)

User Info Menu

Concerning MF could it be that the one I use is too coarse for my dash. Do MF come for different surfaces.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 04-19-2016 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the ones made by D'Addario. Even though they're intended for guitars, they work quite nicely on drums and chrome hardware. They're also machine-washable, too. Just don't add fabric softener...it will ruin the microfiber.

User Info Menu

I bought a bunch of the blue MF which are multipurpose use and they work fine no scratching my dash anymore. The orange ones are made for glass and they a bit more coarse and this why it scratched the soft finish around my dashboard. Live and learn the hard way lol.