Thread: Playing some funky Soulive last night.

User Info Menu

Talking Playing some funky Soulive last night.

Hey guys, just did another really cool gig. I've been playing a lot lately. I just did a week long stint playing drums for some plays for K-5 students and then did a set for a jazz/funk gig. Here was one of the songs we did:

Soulive is one of my favorite bands. I would say Alan Evans was part of the reason I got super into drums again after a big hiatus. Hearing his playing, and that general "sound" of funkiness and groove got me to see how much fun that sort of playing could me. Before that, I was in this existential crisis of how drums could be musical. So, I am just always looking for ways to pay homage to those guys Hope you guys dig it!

By the way, that's the Krupa snare in action. FINALLY got it tuned up juuusssttt right and I'm LOVING it. I've been stressing because I haven't been able to get my toms to sound good (I suck at tuning). So right before the gig at the venue, I tune them fast, and somehow, someway, I get them to sound amazing. Like, they resonate nicely and are just "boom." The lower one the bottom head wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that the drum just sang. All of this just really put some needed confidence. It's lame when your drums don't sound good!
    Last edited by ZackPomerleau; 07-20-2015 at 02:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing some funky Soulive last night.

As always really enjoy your playing. Snare sounded great. Thanks for sharing.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Sounds damn good.. i was curious about those krupa snares.. there is one locally for $300.. i just can't justify another snare :(

User Info Menu

Wow Zach, that was cool! Awesome playing man!!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

That was very cool. It reminded me of music heard when I was young, when I was out with my folks. Organs were very popular then. Good job on the drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    As always really enjoy your playing. Snare sounded great. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it. The snare is definitely the best. So glad it's finally up and running, so to speak!

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Sounds damn good.. i was curious about those krupa snares.. there is one locally for $300.. i just can't justify another snare :(
    Thank you! It's been a longggg time coming with this snare! $300 would be good if it's in good condition and the strainer is perfect (mine was completely defected). I had to replace mine with the retrofit, so it brought the snare up to about $300, well worth it. The sound of COB is beastly; it's so responsive. The Acrolite pops at high tunings, but maybe isn't as responsive. I find this snare is also more friendly to lower tunings (like woah!). Mine is a mid 70s so it may have COB rims, so that is a possibility of whether or not that price is good. Also check if it has 10 lugs or not, and if it's the 6.5" version...that's if you go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Wow Zach, that was cool! Awesome playing man!!
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    That was very cool. It reminded me of music heard when I was young, when I was out with my folks. Organs were very popular then. Good job on the drums.
    Thank you very much! Not enough organ players out there nowadays. Really dig Booker T, The Meters, and Jimmy Smith. The sound is just so fat