Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you use a China cymbal?

User Info Menu

Default How many of you use a China cymbal?

There was once a guy here in town that had the most awesome 20" China cymbal. I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't sell. At one point I offered him $400 for it, that's how bad I wanted. He wouldn't budge. About 4 years later I get a call from him and he wanted to know if I still wanted it. He sold it to me for $300 (he was hard up for cash). To this day, it's one of my favorite cymbals.

User Info Menu

wish i had one. those things r awsome!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

i have an 18 inch wuhan china...i love it...but it must be used sparingly...they are so freekin loud

User Info Menu

They're great cymbals...no doubt. I've just found them to be a little fragile. I prefer a cymbal that's made out of brass.

User Info Menu

anyone ever play with a titanium cymbal?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

No, what do they sound like? I haven't kept up the the cymbal lines.

User Info Menu

I love my China. It's a zildjian "18 oriental china trash. Best $180 I spent for a non-crash cymbal I have bought so far. I plan on getting a zildjian earth ride somewhen down the road too.

User Info Menu

China cymbals produce an intresting sound that is amazing. I have a Sabian xs20 18 inch china cymbal, it has a nice sound, but I only got it because it was cheaper. I would (in the future) like to get some zildjian chinas.

Anyways, can anyone explain to me why someone said I have a half china?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    Anyways, can anyone explain to me why someone said I have a half china?
    Never heard of that. Could be he just made it up.

User Info Menu

I love china cymbals. I have a Paiste 3000 16" China. Not too long ago I got a 12" & 14" chinas. No-name brands... Lyon. The store out here had a deal and I got BOTH for $30 !! Now I need stands for them...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Man that's a great deal!

User Info Menu

Yea. How can you pass it up... Buy the 14" for $30 and get the 12" free... who cares if they're not one of the big-name brands.

User Info Menu

$30 for 2 chinas thats insane the lowest i've seen is $150 and that was used
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

Some big blow-out the place was having. I guess the price was so low because they're a "no name" brand...

User Info Menu

My China cymbal was like $105 new

User Info Menu

Yea, my Paiste was expensive like that back in the late '80's when I got it. I found out that the brand of those two chinas are actually World Percussion. Still, you can't pass up a deal like that...
    Last edited by METAL DRUMMER; 06-23-2006 at 10:32 AM.

User Info Menu

What is the advantage of having your china cymbal on the very right side of your drum set which i see on many different drummers set ups?

User Info Menu

for me i can get more powerful hits that way...and i just simple don't have room on the left side...i dunno bout other ppl though

User Info Menu

i was thinking about getting a china but i cant decide if i should or not because i think they sound cool and stuff but i mean really how many songs use china??? its not like a hh which you hear in almost every song... so i guess what i'm trying to get at here is... is a china worth the price because i cant decide if spending $150 or so on a cymbal that i might use in like 2 songs
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

I use mine A LOT!! If you find one that's musical and a little trashy, then you'll be surprised at how much you'll be using it! I found one that still has that china sound, yet fits musically, with my crash cymbals. You may want to take one or two of your crash cymbals to the music store so you can try them together with the chinas. Like I said, you'll be SURPRISED at the use it'll get.
    As far as locating the china on the right... I have mine mounted just to the left. Partly because of lack of room, and partly so I can play it with either/both hands.

User Info Menu

I agree with Metal Drummer, it is a Very good idea to take your crashes with you to find one that fits. Usually, chinas from the same series will fit better into that "family" of cymbals ( like AA's or ZXT's). I picked up a 14" china that was the same series as my crashes and ride and it was a perfect fit. As far as placement, put it where it's comfortable. If your going to use it a lot, put it towards the front like Metal does. Otherwise, put it off to the side so the cymbals you use more are towards the front.

User Info Menu

You can buy an 18" Wuhan online for almost nothing, and they sound like ones costing hundreds of dollars.

User Info Menu

I would recommend to any drummer that you check out Meinl China's. They sound as good as if not better than any of the high end Zildjian ones i tried. I use a Meinl classics 16" china and it sounds like £300 worth of cymbal and it was only £60.

Ace bargain :P - they sound so trashy if that is the sound your looking for.
    +//P.R.E.S.O.U.L.N.A.T.I.O.N\\+

User Info Menu

that's cuz zildgen sux.....it's only a name...the sound qulity is poor...at least in my opinion...

User Info Menu

i want to buy a china but im not sure what to get any suggestions