Thread: I'm waiting for more "nestables!"

User Info Menu

Question I'm waiting for more "nestables!"

After the thread about 70's drums sans resos, I got to thinking about nestable kits. Why don't the major drum makers have them? I suppose it would make for easier transport(a bit heavy tho, all in one case!) and they could simplify the reso lug patterns down to maybe 1/2 of the existing number per reso so tune-ups would be fast.Make the lugs and shells appropriate to nesting.
    Of course you'd have to tune the resos at the gig...using a drum dial and an electric "key driver." But would the simplification be worth it?

What say you guys?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm waiting for more "nestables!"

I believe the 'it would be a bit heavy, all in one case' would deter me. Those Whitney Nesting kits are great inventions - but the drums, in one case weigh in at something like 55 lbs - not exactly lightweight. Also any time you may gain in carrying less bulk you will lose if you have to spend time fitting and tuning resos. Something like a cymbal case to transport reso heads would also be advisable if you want to keep them undamaged.

If you have a single case for your drums, one for hardware, one for cymbals and another for resos/rims, pedal and throne (if not included in hardware case) + stickbag, you are already going to make multiple trips to set up.

In reality I don't think it would be worth the hassle. I would consider a single case with a divider to transport a floor tom and mounted tom/s - as the weight would be reasonable.

Just my opinion - but I've already started using two hardware bags to spread the weight of my hardware!

User Info Menu

I'm all in. It's no so much about weight as it is about volume in cubic feet. I would love to have a set for up in Canada that could fit into my tiny car.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I believe the 'it would be a bit heavy, all in one case' would deter me. Those Whitney Nesting kits are great inventions - but the drums, in one case weigh in at something like 55 lbs - not exactly lightweight. Also any time you may gain in carrying less bulk you will lose if you have to spend time fitting and tuning resos. Something like a cymbal case to transport reso heads would also be advisable if you want to keep them undamaged.

If you have a single case for your drums, one for hardware, one for cymbals and another for resos/rims, pedal and throne (if not included in hardware case) + stickbag, you are already going to make multiple trips to set up.

In reality I don't think it would be worth the hassle. I would consider a single case with a divider to transport a floor tom and mounted tom/s - as the weight would be reasonable.

Just my opinion - but I've already started using two hardware bags to spread the weight of my hardware!

forget about cases. I'm just interested in something that I could pack into a small two seater car!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Back in the 70's nesting was the way to transport drums. I did it all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Back in the 70's nesting was the way to transport drums. I did it all the time.
    Yes.........I had a seven piece set and it all fit in three cases.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    forget about cases. I'm just interested in something that I could pack into a small two seater car!

all the best...
    I can see how that would be a challenge Kay-gee. A D.I.Y. 16,12,8 nesting set maybe - you could place it on the passenger seat, snare and pedal in footwell, cymbals behind the seats and hardware in the boot/trunk.

Can your car tow a small trailer?

User Info Menu

I don't think he could fit a nesting kit on his scooter. Sorry kay had to throw that in

User Info Menu

If I took off the reso heads, I think I could fit my Jungle kit all into (1) 16"FT case. The 8" into the 13", the 13" into the 16". Then I think I could put the 12" snare into the 16" as well, since it's 15" deep. That would easily fit in the back or passengers seat. The hihat stand is the awkward part.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I imagine it like my drum cases... I can fit almost all my drum cases into my one bass drum case. But when I do to store them... that bass drum case is twice as heavy as it is when the bass drum is in it! lol More than one inside itself gets so heavy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I can see how that would be a challenge Kay-gee. A D.I.Y. 16,12,8 nesting set maybe - you could place it on the passenger seat, snare and pedal in footwell, cymbals behind the seats and hardware in the boot/trunk.

Can your car tow a small trailer?
    Nope. It's a Smart Car. 3 cylinder diesel, two seater, no trunk

all the best...

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

I doubt this is 'Smart Approved' Kay-gee, but it may be worth considering.