Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motivation

User Info Menu

Default Motivation

What keeps you motivated in your down moments?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Motivation

Jack n beer.

If you're talking about drumming, whenever I have a bad practice or show I'll pretty much just shrug it off and know that it's temporary. I'm assuming that's what you meant by "down" moments.

Motivation for time away from playing, well I do like my time away from it but once it gets closer to practice day I'll think about what I can try out playing wise and that kind of motivates me.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Self help books. Go to that section in the bookstore. They're a good pick-me-up and the motivation you'll get from them helps with drumming too.

User Info Menu

If I'm down on my drumming I'll got back down and go over the basics. Going from struggling and not really getting it, to just destroying it normally gets me back into it!
    That's why I love Metallica. I've been working on some Incubus songs and they are giving me a hard time. So I throw on some Metallic just to prove to myself I can still play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarsh View Post
    If I'm down on my drumming I'll got back down and go over the basics. Going from struggling and not really getting it, to just destroying it normally gets me back into it!
    That's why I love Metallica. I've been working on some Incubus songs and they are giving me a hard time. So I throw on some Metallic just to prove to myself I can still play.
    I know what you mean, i love soca music and i was listening to a particular song on my way home and i was thinking where i can put fills in that will make it sound better. When i got home the opposite happened,i didnt play the song good, i don't know if it was because i moved the crash to the right side of the kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    I know what you mean, i love soca music and i was listening to a particular song on my way home and i was thinking where i can put fills in that will make it sound better. When i got home the opposite happened,i didnt play the song good, i don't know if it was because i moved the crash to the right side of the kit.
    Some days your mind is in the right place but the hands take the day off.

User Info Menu

Time off from the kit.

User Info Menu

You mean that there is a upside to this stuff?

Seriously, I'm with Rich on this. I've done some of my best playing when I stayed away from the set for a while.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I'll concentrate on guitar for a while. I'm not that good of a drummer, but I'm even worse at guitar. After a few days on guitar, im glad to get back on drums.
    Also, I can concentrate on working on my project kits. It always motivates me to focus on the drums rather than playing for a while.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Every time I lose motivation to play drums it is because I need rest. If I go to bed early and get a lot of sleep then the next day I'm back to normal.

User Info Menu

What is soca?

all the best...

User Info Menu

What is soca?

all the best...

User Info Menu

No idea...maybe "SOuthern CAlifornia"? Wouldn't that be like Beach Boys stuff?
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I usually listen to music. Or when I don't want to play, I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

SOCA = Soul Of Calypso

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    What is soca?

all the best...
    just as 8beat said its the soul of calypso, its a caribbean genre mainly played around carnival time in Trinidad and Tobago and calypso has this afro caribbean feel.If you have time you can youtube "machel montano ministry of road" and tell me what are your thoughts. I actually played along to a song "sugar bum bum" by calypsonian Lord Kitchener and i got back my mojo lol

User Info Menu

i have a few lessons to give me something new to look at, regular gigging doesn't give you much time to feel down about your drumming, you normally get over it by the next gig.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Try changing your drum kit setup. Go super simple - hats, ride, bass, snare.

User Info Menu

I find motivation can get dampened quite simply by the heat. I can imagine in Trinidad-Tobago that it is every bit as hot or hotter than here (Bahamas) Not everywhere is (or can be) air conditioned and there's a lot of bodily and mental fatigue that goes along with that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I am a member on a site that does drum education online.. and they seem to take flak in the forums.. but in the last 9 months i have never lost motivation and still play 2-4 hours every night. Having supportive people is a huge help...

User Info Menu

Whenever I feel unmotivated, I just have to remind myself that I've been doing this too long to turn back or slack off Seriously though, whenever I'm experiencing a period of decreased enthusiasm, I usually just explore different things to practice, different styles of music to draw inspiration from etc - something is bound to imspire me and then I'm back on track.

Sometimes taking a little time off might be a good idea, though I personally try not to do it - usually during the periods when I'm not super-driven and inspired, I tend to work on technique and the more physical aspects of drumming like speed, endurance etc, all the "boring" stuff that does not actually seem boring at all when I get to reap the benefits later on.
    Music Washes away the Dust of Everyday Life
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8316Eu99KMDRFnulb3WNmQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Time off from the kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You mean that there is a upside to this stuff?

Seriously, I'm with Rich on this. I've done some of my best playing when I stayed away from the set for a while.
    This. I'll work on one of my (too) many other hobbies - WWII history and reenacting, historic firearms, speaker building, motorcycles, reading, politics, religious research, and on and on. Inevitably, some gig will pop up and suddenly I'm fired up about drums again. Never fails.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=kay-gee;654136]I find motivation can get dampened quite simply by the heat. I can imagine in Trinidad-Tobago that it is every bit as hot or hotter than here (Bahamas) Not everywhere is (or can be) air conditioned and there's a lot of bodily and mental fatigue that goes along with that.

all the best...[/QUOTE

yesss it can be a scorcher, what styles of music you play in the Bahamas?

User Info Menu

One thing for me is to see someone in a worse or less priveleged position than me. Sort of makes me want to live it up for those who can't, and would love to have what I have. Also makes me appreciate it more.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    This. I'll work on one of my (too) many other hobbies - WWII history and reenacting, historic firearms, speaker building, motorcycles, reading, politics, religious research, and on and on. Inevitably, some gig will pop up and suddenly I'm fired up about drums again. Never fails.

GeeDeeEmm
    A man can never have too many hobbies...Makes him well rounded. Money and time are usually the issue. Whatever I decide to get into, I tend to research it a lot and go "all out" if it really gets me interested. If I didn't have a band, I would probably back off on drums/drumming and get back into the automotive scene heavier....like I was until a few years ago.
    -Brian