Thread: Gretsch Drum Factory

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Drum Factory

I was asked to meet at the side door; this is the unassuming entrance for my personalized tour. Nowhere in sight is there a sign or any other indication that this is the place :

Once inside, I was met by my tour guide...........the first order of business is the discussion of the composition of the Keller shells; this is a small portion of the inventory on hand :

The first room is the rough sanding where the excess glue and any other flaws are quickly reduced:

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Drum Factory

Ricardo, should of combined these into one thread but hey, thanks for the pics!

User Info Menu

Yes that was all very informative. I am surprised that the Gretsch shop is not much ahead of my own as far as machines and technology.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Yes that was all very informative. I am surprised that the Gretsch shop is not much ahead of my own as far as machines and technology.
    They are very comfortable and proud to remain "old school".
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Pearl drums are made the same old traditional way by hand too in Taiwan. Saw a video which had Ian Paice walking us through the process. Which surprised me that it was not State of the Art factory.

User Info Menu

So all the shells are out-sourced, as well as the hardware, including the hoops. This is the finish and assembly plant? Who makes the out-sourced stuff for them, choosing laminates, designing lugs/badges, making mounts, etc.?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    So all the shells are out-sourced, as well as the hardware, including the hoops. This is the finish and assembly plant? Who makes the out-sourced stuff for them, choosing laminates, designing lugs/badges, making mounts, etc.?
    Yes...........the assembly and finishing process.
    I didn't ask about the sources of the other components but I wish I would have.
    As far as design, my '54 snare has the same lugs used today.
    I don't think the lugs have changed on USA shells since Noah learned to swim.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Dang, that would be a dream job for me. Love any and all drum projects, be it builds, restores, finishing, etc. Really a rewarding experience, i'm glad you got to see the place and get a bit of an insider's look into their operation.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu