Thread: PDP MX series. Good deal or no ?

User Info Menu

Default PDP MX series. Good deal or no ?

I can get the 22" kick, 10, 12, and 14" toms for $300. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on them. The snare isn't included.

Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP MX series. Good deal or no ?

Yes. If they're in good shape. my new Concept maple 5pc was $599 on clearance from $729. You can't do much better for $300. Are they Maple or Birch?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

They are maple
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

That looks very fair unless there's any type of concealed damage.

You know what to look for.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

for $300 pretty good deal.

User Info Menu

The only criticism I've heard about those drums is the stock heads aren't too good and the snare strainer can be a little fiddly. As the snare isn't included and they are unlikely to be on the original heads I doubt this is relevant....

Apparently these are essentially the same drums as the CX line but stained instead of wrapped. At $300 I would check them out - I think, if they are undamaged, they will sell pretty quickly.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 07-29-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

If in good shape......jump on it.

User Info Menu

$300 sounds like a great deal.

User Info Menu

All day - do it!

User Info Menu

Looks like a 10 lug BD?
    The 22" Concepts are only 8 lug....Did the 22" CX/MX have 10 lugs, or might it be a 24"BD?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Looks like a 10 lug BD?
    The 22" Concepts are only 8 lug....Did the 22" CX/MX have 10 lugs, or might it be a 24"BD?
    The 22 MX had 10 lug kick and snare - don't know about the CX.

User Info Menu

My CX is a 10-lugger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    The only criticism I've heard about those drums is the stock heads aren't too good and the snare strainer can be a little fiddly. As the snare isn't included and they are unlikely to be on the original heads I doubt this is relevant....

Apparently these are essentially the same drums as the CX line but stained instead of wrapped. At $300 I would check them out - I think, if they are undamaged, they will sell pretty quickly.
    I have never met a kit where the stock heads were good...I've always replaced. It's shame drum companies even waste their money (our money) on stock heads, I'd prefer them to just arrive without any heads at all

User Info Menu

That's a good deal regardless of the heads that are on them. As cdeleone pointed out, everybody figures new heads, at least batters, into any drum purchase. Just becomes a non-issue. I'd jump on it, personally.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Going to look at them early next week. The snare is a DE collector series. I can grab that for 250. I may get both if they are in good shape. I will change the heads regardless. Been saving to build a PA but have since nixed that idea so I have the cash in hand. Thanks for the input folks.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

If these are the same drums as the CX as said above then they are pretty nice and it is a good deal. I've heard a few CX kits being played up close and they sounded really good, except the snare, but that won't be an issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    If these are the same drums as the CX as said above then they are pretty nice and it is a good deal. I've heard a few CX kits being played up close and they sounded really good, except the snare, but that won't be an issue.
    I hear a lot of folks say the snare on the PDP's are garbage...and I'd agree the quality isn't all that great. But, I will say I bust mine out every once in a while and I really like the sounds. Takes some adjustment but I've heard way worse snares that cost way more money. Just my take

User Info Menu

Yeah. I've never heard one that sounds good. I've also never tuned one and don't know if the heads that are on there work with that particular drum. I would think that if the toms and bass can sound good, the snare should be able to as well. It probably just takes more time.

User Info Menu

The PDP CX, MX and LX kits all were made with North American Rock maple and were made to a better standard than the X7, M5 kits and whatnot. That's a good price.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

The talk about the CX snare not sounding good is just nonsense. It sounds like a simple maple snare because that's what it is. No frills, no tricks, and very plain and boring looking. I don't use mine simply because I like metal snares, but I've found the CX easy to tune and on par with any other maple snare of the genre and price range. (And yes, I've had others to compare it to, specifically a Yamaha Anton Fig and a DW Collectors Maple. And yes, they sounded better than the little CX!) In short, the basic PDP maple snares will do exactly what they were designed to do, and they sound good doing it. Just not exciting. No way.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Well I picked these up last week. Have them set up but have yet to play them. I will be changing the bass drum batter to an Aquarian SK2 shortly. The batter heads on the toms are relatively new Evans Level 360 heads with Remo Ambassador reso's. Gonna do a little tuning before I change the heads however I would like to do a EC2's on top and G1's on the bottom. I didn't buy the snare which was a 12" DW collector series. Nice drum but just wasn't interested.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    Well I picked these up last week. Have them set up but have yet to play them. I will be changing the bass drum batter to an Aquarian SK2 shortly. The batter heads on the toms are relatively new Evans Level 360 heads with Remo Ambassador reso's. Gonna do a little tuning before I change the heads however I would like to do a EC2's on top and G1's on the bottom. I didn't buy the snare which was a 12" DW collector series. Nice drum but just wasn't interested.
    Nice find, congrats!
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you went for it!

User Info Menu

Great score!