Thread: Drummers sound shield - who uses one - Like it or No?

User Info Menu

Default Drummers sound shield - who uses one - Like it or No?

This past week, the band leader in band #2 bought a nice Sound Shield with 5 panels that are 2' x 5.5 ' each ... bought it from one of the major online music stores and I am so Very pleased with it.
    It really made a big difference in our "on-stage" volume and that stage is a 5 sided "box" and with the shield in place and 2 mics on the drums ( one aimed down between the rack toms and one in the kick port ) the drums sounded really good on the FOH speakers and I run two monitors - one 8" Peavey Flex monitor and a Kustom 10" monitor ( both stand mounted) and I could hear so much better ( the roar was gone ) plus the guys up front heard things a lot better as well and the stage volume was cut almost in half.

Ive used Sound shields in the past - they really work well - especially if you either "Mic" the kit and you need to keep everything else out of the drum mics and/or its a small stage and/or the stage volume is loud and its hard to hear anything clearly.
    Just curious if anyone else uses one - - and if so, do you like it or not?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers sound shield - who uses one - Like it or No?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    and if so, do you like it or not?
    Not. I hate 'em!

User Info Menu

I played behind one in a studio for one of my drum exams. Didn't really like it because the sound kind of blows back in your face instead of through the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had to play behind a few in my carrier . Hated every single one of them . The worst was at the Sahara in Vegas . They had just redid the lounge and we were the first band to go in there . It was an all plexiglass booth with small speakers in the ceiling for monitors ! All you heard was drums !! And with the lights one all you saw was your reflection , you couldn't see anyone on the other side . And they had a small hole on the side , like the ones on the ticket booths , so you could talk to the other musicians on stage ! But you had to get up from behind the drums and walk over to it then you had to shout to get anyones attention because it was on the side !!
    I played at a couple of Methodist churches with the screen . But soon the contemporary services went away and I've not had to play behind one since . And I refuse to now...
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Would the experience improve if the sound shield was given a soft layer of cloth, I wonder? Like the grille cloth on certain amplifiers perhaps?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Not for me. The shield too heavy to lug around for gigs and tough to transport in a sedan. Very unstable outdoors in the wind and if you're facing the sun, you and the kit are in front of 5.5' x 10' magnifying glass. In other situations like playing in my garage where there's no acoustical baffling, I'll use one and wear a smile on my face the whole time. Why? Because I want to keep everybody happy and not have to pull my strokes back when I want to build up some dynamics, but otherwise I despise drum shields.

User Info Menu

Personally, I don't like to use a shield.............but i have to play inside an enclosure on Sundays...............it works, but I still don't care for it

These are pics from last Sunday

User Info Menu

Only in the studio.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all return to the good old days when musicians could play together and listened to what each other was doing. All this other stuff wouldn't even be needed. I remember bands playing in clubs and halls all over the place and didn't mike up anything.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    ... I remember bands playing in clubs and halls all over the place and didn't mike up anything.

all the best...
    That's how I'm gigging now . One day I'm in a club so small we don't even need to mic the vocals we have to play sooooo soft and the next in a big hall where I have to beat the crap out of everything .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    That's how I'm gigging now . One day I'm in a club so small we don't even need to mic the vocals we have to play sooooo soft and the next in a big hall where I have to beat the crap out of everything .

In the big halls, I mic everything ... and I dont have to play any harder for those gigs as I do at the small venue's with the shield.

Interesting that when I started playing, no one even knew what a "monitor speaker" was...at least none of the guys I was hanging out with.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    In the big halls, I mic everything ... and I dont have to play any harder for those gigs as I do at the small venue's with the shield.
    Yea...wish I could do that but I don't own the PA . And they use a small powered head with only six mic inputs and only four work . Vocals take first priority . Versatility is the name of the game . Got to be able to slam when you have to and swing it at low volumes . The choice of drum set and tuning helps .
    Since I stopped playing in the Methodist churches I haven't seen a shield anywhere . Where there once was a shield there is now an electronic kit .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Only in the studio.
    Seems about where i'd want to use it, too.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

we played with a band who had small shields in front of the crashes for the singers. My singer now wants me to get those lol

nope... deal with it or buy them yourself.

User Info Menu

It's always been amazing to me... that orchestras don't mike or electrify their instruments, yet even a ding on a triangle can been heard in the back row of the hall.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cause the concert halls where designed for acoustic sound. Like a sound surround.

User Info Menu

Would there be any sort of way that the reflections you get from the sound shield could possibly hurt your drums? Like damage resulting from being too close to the source of soundwaves?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Would there be any sort of way that the reflections you get from the sound shield could possibly hurt your drums? Like damage resulting from being too close to the source of soundwaves?
    highly doubtful!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ah, good to know. Thanks!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments