Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Utter Embarrassment

User Info Menu

Default Re: An Utter Embarrassment

IMO, all songs played live should be faster than the album recordings.

User Info Menu

I am sure evryone has a cringe moment,The one really bad thing I did was finish a song off 8 bars to soon!
    We had only rehearsed it a couple of times and never performed it live, and I did this big ending and everyone else stopped playing,turned and looked at me, then burst out laughing.
    I died a bit inside, the crowd laughed but I felt bad :/
    It was filmed, and I hate watching it !
    But we never posted it anywhere!
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Bridie, you have to post that 1 up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    bridie, you have to post that 1 up.
    😁

User Info Menu

I've developed the attitude that if you mess up...It's only music! In one ear and out the other. The audience has long forgotten, and probably forgot 10 seconds after it happened.

If you were performing a delicate medical surgery and you messed up...Different matter...if you catch my drift!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't strive to improve your game. We all should, but you can't beat yourself up everytime something goes wrong.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've developed the attitude that if you mess up...It's only music! In one ear and out the other. The audience has long forgotten, and probably forgot 10 seconds after it happened.

If you were performing a delicate medical surgery and you messed up...Different matter...if you catch my drift!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't strive to improve your game. We all should, but you can't beat yourself up everytime something goes wrong.

all the best...
    Couldn't agree more...music is supposed to be fun. And we're human! Mistakes are going to happen. I'm an avid snowboarder and the rule of thumb is: if you don't fall, you're not trying anything new. Even after 25 years, I still fall...

User Info Menu

Once at a gig our lead vocalist started a song out strumming on his mandolin. The problem was, he was strumming the rhythm and chord progression for a different song. We all started, but one by one, we all quit playing after the first couple measures. By the third measure he was playing and singing by himself. He kept going, but turned and looked to his left, then his right, then started to slow down and strum random chords. Then he stopped, looked at us, looked at the crowd and said, "OK! We took a vote and decided NOT to play that song". He played it off wonderfully....like and old time comedy routine. The crowd burst into laughter and cheered.
    Just like in commercial business, it not the mistakes you make (which you will), it's how you react to your mistakes that people notice.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham