Thread: Drum Corps

User Info Menu

Default Drum Corps

Anybody trying out?

I wish I could march Phantom's snare line. If not Phantom, then probably Southwind.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

is drum corp a maching group? lol sorry iv wanted to know what it was for awwhile now.

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Corps

Lafirin--yeppers! "Drumline"--which was popularized by the movie of the same title--is another way of saying "drum corps."

And CC, you would have enjoyed the drumline competition over the weekend in St. Louis...unfortunately, I can't find a link to it to share with you...will find one shortly!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    is drum corp a maching group? lol sorry iv wanted to know what it was for awwhile now.
    Drum corps is actually what used to be referred to as Drum and bugle corps, as opposed to a marching band which uses traditional wind instruments (as featured in the movie drum line, and found on most Highschool and college football fields). The Horns used by Drum Corps are all in the same Key (G or F I can't remember which it's been a while) there are no woodwinds, the bugles have evolved over the years from the traditional army bugle with no valves to a horn with a single piston valve, then to a horn with a Rotary and a piston valve, to the current 3 valve horn (bugle) used today.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Im planning on auditioning for the blue coats either next season or the season after that, Ive just gotta get better first, like now, i HAVE the tools too march for the corps, i just need work with a few things, like making my left just as good as my right, and i need ot be able to put things together better, i take a bit to get through a complex piece of music

But the bluecoats, my first show i went to see, the bluecoats rocked it, and their near, i fell in love, i researched, found out their one of the nicer less strict groups who wont chew you a new hole for messing up, and are relativly cheap, and until recently were bad, so they cant be all NO YOU *insert minor mistake here* WERE CUTTING YOU FROM THE LINE

but yea, im a DCI freak, especailly since im a corp style drummer stuck in a show band -.-

User Info Menu

I got a few friends who want to try for the Bluecoats, but they are all sure that they won't make it.
    I would try for Southwind or Memphis Sound, but I'm, just flat-out not good enough for Corps. Physically and musically.
    Good luck to you though Cheez! Hope you get it!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Im planning on auditioning for the blue coats either next season or the season after that, Ive just gotta get better first-
    If you're really into it why wait to audition, go out for the bass or cymbals now and work your way up to snare drum. You'll get your foot in the door, learn their style of marching, etc. Now is the time to try out since they'll be starting to work on Next seasons show soon, if they haven't already.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

well, this season im not old enough, and its to much of a heads up just to go, hey mom can you drive me and hour to canton and pay 120 bucks in hope i make it?

Next year possibly, the next time i see my influence/mentor/instructor whatever you want to call him, im gonna talk to him about trying out as soon as i can, and to teach me all i need to know to make it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    well, this season im not old enough, and its to much of a heads up just to go, hey mom can you drive me and hour to canton and pay 120 bucks in hope i make it?
    I know exactly what you mean Ch33z, if I asked my mom that she would prolly just laugh and smack me upside the head.
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Corps

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    ...And CC, you would have enjoyed the drumline competition over the weekend in St. Louis...unfortunately, I can't find a link to it to share with you...will find one shortly!
    And it took a little longer than I thought, CC--but I did find the link to the original story...enjoy it, bro'!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...9?OpenDocument

and check out the video slide show link on the page, too!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

not me, my friend wants to try out for Pacific Crest though.