Thread: It finally happened! I'm breakin' a conga head!

User Info Menu

Cool It finally happened! I'm breakin' a conga head!

Some of you are surprised perhaps that I haven't done it sooner!

Actually, I noticed that, after some 20 years, the head on my black fiberglass CP quinto is starting to split and pull away from the rim. Frankly, it's dried out and stretched out, not to mention it's produced a lot of great sounds from all my hand-slammin'!

I put this up for two reasons:

#1) What things do you do to extend the life of your bongo/conga skins?

#2) I have told you about how much I like the FiberSkyn head on my Remo tumba (and the bongos I tested earlier)...

Given the choice, would you put another LP skin on the conga or switch to the FiberSkyns?

I know my bongo brothers and sisters will have a few ideas to share with each other...and me!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Just throw the whole drum away. It's no good anymore.

User Info Menu

i agree =D

User Info Menu

Cool It finally happened...

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Just throw the whole drum away. It's no good anymore.
    OK, Tom--the shell is fine, the head is what's shot...either that or you're jealous of us hand drummers!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Well BB, the only things you can do to prolong the life of your heads are:

A - Keep your drums away from any major temp. changes, or....

B - Don't play them.

If I were you, I would go with the FiberSkyn heads as you have already played them and like them. If you go with a regular LP head, you'll always wonder what they would have sounded like with the FiberSkyns on em'. Besides, it never hurts to try something new (it's only money, ya' know ) and it will make you want to play that much more.

I think I might break down and buy a FiberSkyn for my fiberglass Toca as I have never really liked the sound of it. I've changed the head twice already and it has always sounded dull and lifeless to me. Hmmmmm.........maybe some new congas will be under the tree for me this year.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i know im gonna sound like an idoit but you can change conga heads?
    i thought that if they broke you had to get a new drum.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Cool It finally happened!...

No prob, drummerdavie!

drummer was just kidd'n on throw'n the drum away (you were, weren't you?). Unfortunately, that was often the case if you didn't have access to good skins in the days of tacked-on heads.

With the coming of tunable drumheads, replacing conga and bongo heads are almost as easy as replacing the batter head on a drum set. With the skins, of course, you have to soak them in water to get them flexible enough to fit into the skin hoops, then let them dry so they can tighten naturally after they've been fitted.

In the case of plastic drumheads (which I tried once and didn't like on an older pair of fiberglass bongos) or FiberSkyns, I don't think soaking is needed...

Matter of fact, kona mentioned in another post he fitted LP heads to his Valje congas because he loved the way they sounded.

1DB, I tried ordering a Remo head for one of my red CPs when they were still in layaway before I took delivery (dude needed a quinto head for a gig and mine was the only new one my drum dealer buddy had on hand). Either they weren't readily available at the time (or frankly no one wanted to fool with it), but I waited several weeks for the Remo head without success, so I put another CP head on mine.

May have to order it from someone else (DrumBum maybe?) when the other CP quinto head (on my black set) finally gives up the ghost...make that will order it from someone else. I love the way the Remo heads play and sound!

Charlie

User Info Menu

"It finally happened! I'm breakin' a conga head!"

BB, you monster you! I didn't know you had it in you dude! Come on, fess up, you used a ballpine hammer on 'em just so that you could get some new heads, right?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You could say, as Roberto Duran once did during his boxing heyday, "manos de piedra"..."hands of stone." (BTW, before he went "no mas," I remembered seeing an article in Sports Illustrated in which he was playin' congas to relax...)

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

Actually, I noticed that, after some 20 years, the head on my black fiberglass CP quinto is starting to split and pull away from the rim. Frankly, it's dried out and stretched out, not to mention it's produced a lot of great sounds from all my hand-slammin'!

#2) I have told you about how much I like the FiberSkyn head on my Remo tumba (and the bongos I tested earlier)...

Given the choice, would you put another LP skin on the conga or switch to the FiberSkyns?

I know my bongo brothers and sisters will have a few ideas to share with each other...and me!
    I've played congas and bongos off and on for more than 30 years. I recently tucked all my own heads and I bought natural skins from Artdrum.

I don't have experience with synthetic heads - sorry.

Artdrum asked to use this photo of me to promote the longevity of LP heads.
    This is me 30 years ago:

To take care of natural heads:
    Don't let the heads dry out too much.
    Some people use natural moisturizers on their hands like Shea nut better - Shea oil is frim the Karite tree of West Africa and is used as an omollient and moisturizure in cosmetics.
    Playing your drums regularly will help preserve natural heads. I've been told the oils from your hands helps to keep the drum head from drying out - makes sense I guess.

If you want to learn how to tuck your own heads (it's interesting and a good skill for a drummer to know) I can send you information on that. Just email me.

User Info Menu

Hey, kona! LP and CP heads hold up really well...I bought my black CPs in 1987, my LP bongos in 1990, and my red CPs in 2004...and I'm not gripin', since I play them often! I agree that playin' them often is the best way to keep them in shape--if you don't use 'em, ya lose 'em...

Might try the hand lotion on my hands before playin' them next time...sounds easier to do than applyin' the lotion to my drumheads...must admit I thought hard hands ("manos de piedra") was the mark of an experienced conguero, but not necessarily...

Will PM you concerning the tucking instructions!

Thanks, bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: It finally happened! I'm breakin' a conga head!

HOLA como estas BongoBro*ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (DRAGON)* THE heads*(SKINS) that I use are PIG (SKINS)-hides/sometimes/cow-hide.&BORE -Skins..JUST like all Leather each has its OWN DISTINCT UNIQUE TEXTURES of Weights Gages of THICKNESS*& JUST
    like LEATHER you NEED TO OIL your HEADS (SKINS) BY (HAND) & really Rub deep within the SKINS (WORK-IT-IN) useing Mink oil,OLive-oil.MINERAL oils.
    THIS WORKS AMAZINGLY GREAT ,I use these oils ON ALL my HAND TAMBORES ,
    & ALL MY LEATHERS *EVERY THING MADE FROM LEATHER**& you can just Buy the SKINS & LEARN HOW too SHAPE them ITS ALOT less Money ,But then you REALLY LEARN A GREAT ART*FORM* within Your OWN ARTISTRY ,I have done this TECHNIQUE **MANY TIMES *its HARD work but the FEELING IS FANTASTIC.JUST soak the SKINS IN Boiling HOT WATER so the SKINS Are plyable as you SHAPE it within the RIM*SIZE IT *ITS takes A while to get the FEEL of this BY HAND TECHNIQUE**BUT Your A CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER *so No PROBLEM*DRAOON* GRACIAS *WORK ever works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER IS ALL GREAT**

User Info Menu

Default Re: It finally happened...

OK, Tom--the shell is fine, the head is what's shot...either that or you're jealous of us hand drummers!
    Nah...just get rid of the drummer...keep the drum

(just kidding BB...ya know you're my favorite conga-man)

User Info Menu

Cool Re: It finally happened...

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Nah...just get rid of the drummer...keep the drum

(just kidding BB...ya know you're my favorite conga-man)
    If I'm ever up your way, brother, I'm gonna have to sit in with ya!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Cool Re: It finally happened! I'm breakin' a conga head!

Well, pun intended, I guess I will have to break down and order the skin as kona suggested earlier. Still have not found a replacement LP head; thought we had a possible replacement in a head from a Synergy conga, but the head was just a skosh too large (and actually flat on one edge, like a tire with a "flat spot") to fit the CP comfort-curve rim...so I have to take the hoop out of the old LP head to make this work...

As someone only half-kiddingly suggested earlier today in the Shoutbox, I may have to take pix and give you blow-by-blow narration!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default Re: It finally happened! I'm breakin' a conga head!

Ok Bongobro,
    This post looks kind of old but I did not see a true clear answer to your question. Replacing heads from flat skins is pretty easy and there are a lot of websites that can help. A prefitted one is a good thing as long as you bring you rim with you to the music store. As far as taking care of your skins you should always detune you drum when not in use. If the head is tight, your away all day and it becomes a very hot high pressure day thats when the damage will happen. The skin will over stretch and not return to it's original size. Even the shell and hardware will be stressed. I will even detune a Nuskyn because I don't want the stress on my shell or hardware. It becomes a habit and you learn to tune the drum to the perfict pitch after a while. always add a little lube to the threads. Your shell, hardware and head will last you a life time if you detune your congas every time when not in use. A little babyoil is good for the skin with no bad after affects and it's easy to find. I love to restore old congas with new heads. I hope this info helps.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Fiberskyns all the way man!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the story has dragged out longer than one of our "Three Word Posts" --but not as funny--but I got the word from my drum teacher buddy tonight: We're gonna have to go with a skin...

He had sent the old head to Kaman (which, as you may recall, distributes LP and Synergy congas). Turns out my black CP quinto has a 9 1/2" head (almost a requinto size, come to think of it) and there is no ready-made replacement available. Those black CPs have been oddballs from the git-go, since they have a four-poster rectangular base rather than the tripod base congas use today...they may have been a year or so old when I bought them, and that was back in 1987...but they've been my beloved, battered workhorses!

He'll get it the head back, so it's gonna be a case of cut, tuck and sew...of course, given the success kona's had with his, and since I have his instructions, the ol' b-bro will be slappin' the new skin ASAP after the head comes in...

will keep y'all posted...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you've got your solution BB.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well, we can now call this thread "It finally happened! I've finally fixed my conga head!"

My trusty drum teacher (actually his son) put together a replacement head out of a Synergy conga head we had purchased earlier. We had misplaced my original LP head so he had to cut a new flesh hoop out of the skin...and wouldn't you know it, after all this, they found my original (complete with original flesh hoop) buried in the back of the drum shop!

Also, I discovered we should have asked for an LP Aspire conga head in the first place! As soon as I get a pic of the information my buddy's son wrote on the old conga head, I will show you that (and the newly-replaced head). Man, it's gonna be great playin' two congas at home again!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Well, we can now call this thread "It finally happened! I've finally fixed my conga head!"
    It's about damn time!

I still say you should just throw the drum away. That's what I do. Everytime I break a drumhead, I just throw the drum away and get a new one. I hate replacing drumheads.

User Info Menu

Amen to that, Tom! After all the headaches, pun intended -- -- I almost thought about that...

NOT!!!

Charlie