Thread: Mapex Black Panther

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Black Panther

Just found a Mapex Maple Black Panther 10X4.5 Popcorn Snare in great condition for &75. Seems like a good deal but, I can't find any others of this size on line to know for sure. Anybody got some feedback?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Black Panther

Jump on it. I paid $279 for a used Black Panther birdeye maple 6.5x14" snare. You can't go wrong with Mapex.

User Info Menu

They're not currently making one in that depth, but it could be an older model. Their website used to have a better backlog of their old catalogs, but that seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur in their recent update.

Probably hard to go wrong for $75, like late8 said.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Can you get a decent buzz roll on a popcorn snare or is it all about the "crack?"
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'm mostly after the crack. Anything more out of it'll be a bonus.

User Info Menu

So popcorns for Blues=not good?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I believe a little too sharp for most blues but might make for interesting accents, that's what Im looking to use it for

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    So popcorns for Blues=not good?
    definitely not in my opinion.

They are for snap crackle and POP.

I use my popcorn snare a lot I love it. I'd go ahead and pick it up!

User Info Menu

Exactly spaz, just saying I want to throw that snap in occasionally, like an accent. Might be a real attention grabber

User Info Menu

Damn! Guys out of town until Thursday. I head home for the weekend on Thursday and not back to his area until Sunday evening. Keeping fingers crossed he doesn't sell it before I can hook up with him!

User Info Menu

the taiwan made ones are slightly lesser quality than the chinese built ones however still nice snares ..

User Info Menu

Mapex make great quality drums, i've had a few of their kits and snares.

cheers
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Just talked to the guy selling the drum and, I'm going to pick it up Monday after work! Guess I'm pretty lucky to have a job that keeps me traveling between 5 states most the time. Gives me better opportunities to find deals (also picking up a 5 pc "made in England" set of Premiers for $100 on Tuesday) and not have to pay to have the gear shipped!

User Info Menu

^awesome news~ !

User Info Menu

Picked the drum up last night . Very nice drum! I well get some pics, at least on my profile page as soon as I can. Can't wait to get it home and in to my kit

User Info Menu

Uploaded some pics on my profile page. A beauty of a drum and exactly the "POP" I was looking for!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Railroadin_saylor View Post
    Uploaded some pics on my profile page. A beauty of a drum and exactly the "POP" I was looking for!
    Congrats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats
    Thanks longgun.