Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticks - why do you play what you play?

User Info Menu

Default Sticks - why do you play what you play?

Hey All,

Ever since I started to play drums (not that long ago), I've tended to use quite heavy (2B) ProMark oak sticks. I just got a new drum book from Modern Drummer which is making me revisit the fundamentals of drumming, including how to hold the sticks and some very basic rudiments. I think I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that while the big, heavy 2B oak sticks feel good to my hand, in terms of heft and solidity, they are a challenge for me to maintain a solid fulcrum between my thumb and first finger. While trying to play very precise (and basic) free (full) strokes, I'm finding that it's far easier for me to use the Jeff Porcaro signature Regal Tip sticks (far smaller, 0.555 and hickory) in being able to grip better and play more precisely. I know that's not any news to any of you, but it's making me wonder what aspect of the sticks you play most (or exclusively) made you choose those sticks.

What particular aspect (rebound, easy to hold, just 'feels good', other) of your sticks makes you play those?
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticks - why do you play what you play?

promark 7a oak wood tips. They have a small tip that gives the ride a nice ping. I've used 747s and they give a "clang". The 7a are light for speed and they are a normal length. I also tend to hold the stick way over the end, so half of my hand is empty, while the other is just barely holding the stick. The balance does not get thrown off. The perfect stick for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I don't really have a preference - I seem to 'rotate' between 7A and 5A hickory or oak, wood or nylon tips - I've tried a few pairs of maple sticks but found them disturbingly light - it sometimes feels like there is nothing in my hand!
    I find 2B and 5B feel wrong to me, its not the weight so much as the stick the extra width of the stick that just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand.
    I'm currently using Stagg Jazz Oak sticks, which are the same length and similar in weight to 5A hickory, but slightly thinner and just feel right in my hands, they are also dirt cheap and seem to last well.

User Info Menu

I use 747 Japanese Oak Promark. Woodtip

User Info Menu

Vicfirth ROCK wood tip . Cause I'm mannly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    vicfirth rock wood tip . Cause i'm mannly
    +1, I have the exact opposite problem. I find the more I have to pinch my forefinger and thumb together (smaller diameter) the quicker my hand gets fatigued. Especially the meaty part below the thumb although some exercises I picked up on youtube a few weeks ago is really helping that issue a lot.
    Last edited by MDK; 08-12-2015 at 07:03 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I think I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that while the big, heavy 2B oak sticks feel good to my hand, in terms of heft and solidity, they are a challenge for me to maintain a solid fulcrum between my thumb and first finger. While trying to play very precise (and basic) free (full) strokes, I'm finding that it's far easier for me to use the Jeff Porcaro signature Regal Tip sticks (far smaller, 0.555 and hickory) in being able to grip better and play more precisely. I know that's not any news to any of you, but it's making me wonder what aspect of the sticks you play most (or exclusively) made you choose those sticks.
    I have recently been on a mission to find new sticks for me.
    For years, I have played 5B..........usually nylon tips, because I love how they make the ride cymbal stand out. For the last three years, I have played Vic Firth American Classic (hickory) 5BN.

Since I have been working on 35 new songs for a new band I joined, I was going through a pair of sticks every ten days...........I'm not breaking any of them.............I'm just playing so much, I'm grinding the shoulders into sawdust.

For the record, I have always categorized sticks in a general way as follows :

7A = skinny and light, easy to grip, lower volume out of your kit;
    5A or 5B = medium weight, very popular among MANY players;
    2B = heavy and loud, seen mostly within parade drum corps.

So I've been on a mission to find some sticks that I like just as well as the 5BN but might last longer. Since I love the VF American Classics, I went through the entire VF provision of sticks and selected three that I would like to try out for a few weeks.............I bought two pair of each for a total of 6 pairs.

I have discovered that I really (REALLY) like the VF 3AN.
    The 3AN is somewhere between the 5B and the 2B.............(the 3A is closer to the feel of a 5B than it is to the 2B)...........slightly more (very little) beefy than the 5B and a bit louder..........makes my toms sound amazing..............a barrel nylon tip that makes my ride cymbals really sound off...........sweet..............and a bit more in the shoulder area so I don't go through these sticks as fast as others.

Here is the bottom line :
    If you are used to the 2B and you are looking at something a bit smaller and lighter and easier to hold, go buy 2 pair of 5B and 2 pair of 3A.
    Work with each pair for a week or so and then go back to the 2B sticks.
    Make a decision after rotating these choices and you will find one you prefer.

As a side note, I also tried the VF SAG and the SOH -- both of these are good signature sticks but I found (for my tastes) that the SAG was too long and too heavy and the SOH was too hard and rigid (it is made from a DARK HONEY hickory and feels very stiff) but it has a great "ball" nylon tip that makes the ride sing.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 08-12-2015 at 07:43 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Hey All,

Ever since I started to play drums (not that long ago), I've tended to use quite heavy (2B) ProMark oak sticks. I just got a new drum book from Modern Drummer which is making me revisit the fundamentals of drumming, including how to hold the sticks and some very basic rudiments. I think I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that while the big, heavy 2B oak sticks feel good to my hand, in terms of heft and solidity, they are a challenge for me to maintain a solid fulcrum between my thumb and first finger. While trying to play very precise (and basic) free (full) strokes, I'm finding that it's far easier for me to use the Jeff Porcaro signature Regal Tip sticks (far smaller, 0.555 and hickory) in being able to grip better and play more precisely. I know that's not any news to any of you, but it's making me wonder what aspect of the sticks you play most (or exclusively) made you choose those sticks.

What particular aspect (rebound, easy to hold, just 'feels good', other) of your sticks makes you play those?

I recently started working on the stick control book with a new pair of sticks that is lighter and slimmer than my 1st pair, i found i didnt get a good grip with it. so a thicker stick works better for me

User Info Menu

Comfort= weight, balance and grip. Weight meaning when the stick hits the head it digs in and I do not have to add extra power to get a clear sound that I like from the head. Too heavy of a stick gives a hammer strike and uses too much energy, which could tire out the hands/arms while playing. Also light sticks can tire you out because now you need too use more energy hitting the head to get sound out of the kit. Some sticks are front/tip heavy others are butt heavy, which is awkward, affecting stick control. A balance stick you don't feel the front/back stick heaviness. Grip, a stick that does not fly out of your hand. You will know it when you have the right stick, you will feel it and hear it in your playing.
    Last edited by Jackie; 08-12-2015 at 09:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Regal Tiip Nylons: between 5AN and 7AN. Love the grip-coating, their diameters and butt-heaviness. I guess it has to do with my trad."technique". I've tried the other stick makers and keep returning to the Regal Tips.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I recently switched to the Pro-Mark Jason Bonham model...REALLY happy with them. They're about 17" long but are maple...longer for the reach and lighter.

I find that using large diameter drums means reaching further. The JB model fixes this.

I also use the Vater (I think) grip tape. Makes it easier to hang on to the sticks with less fatigue.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I am a 2B guy...since 6th grade in school...that is what I started with and that is what I have now..I have tried slimmer sticks and they feel loose to me..we are all different and feel is the number one criteria here...another-words...what ever works.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    How do they sound on the ride? I find that the 7a smaller tips give more of a light ping.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've been playing with a 5A stick for over 25+ years and I really like the length of this stick. 5A is typically 16" long but the diameter may vary. I have two favorites:

Vater Los Angeles 5AN

Diameter
    0.57"

Length
    16"

The Vater Los Angeles 5A has a slightly thicker diameter than the ProMark counterpart. After studying some gigs pics, it appears as though I tend to grip the Vaters harder compared to pics taken of me using the ProMark 5A stick.

ProMark 5A wood

Diameter: .551"

Length: 16"

Slightly thinner than the Vater 5A. It appears as though my hands are more relaxed with this stick verse the Vater.

Last edited by late8; 08-13-2015 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Regular 5B nylon tips from Vater or Vic Firth. Nylon tips always last longer than wood tips in my experience, and I just like the feel of 5Bs.
    Last edited by xweasel; 08-16-2015 at 11:10 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Vic Firth Keith Carlock...I have always liked light sticks. The tip on these is awesome and creates the best cymbal tones I've heard...very articulate without the extra brightness of some others. They have great rebound as well. Not good for heavy playing though I don't think.

User Info Menu

I like 7A's. I use both nylon & wood tip, depending on the song and cymbal sound I want. When we play harder Blues & Rock, I switch to a pair of Ahead 5A aluminum sticks. To me, they feel like regular 7A's in terms of balance & weight, but are easier to grip and add volume.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Spaz, I have two pairs of those as well, one wood tip and the other nylon, and I like these a lot, too. I think they are 16 1/4 long and they have a nice taper that rebounds well. I don't know if this is just a 'phase' for me, narrower, lighter sticks, or if I have just ended up here, but we will see.

Thanks, guys, for answering.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I wanted a longer stick and found Innovative Percussions' CL-1.... Fantastic sticks. Just what I wanted!

User Info Menu

I play whatever is cheap and i have laying around.. i have tried a buncha sticks and don't feel much difference (cause i am an untrained monkey) My local guitar center sells vic firth "misprints" or irregulars 20 for $20.. that will be my next sticks

P.S. tried rubber coated sticks.. and never again.. tore my hands up where i could normally play for hours without an issue..

User Info Menu

Sticks are like paint brushes ,I choose them based upon the job I am doing.

VF SD Bolero for medium stick work,Regal Tip 5B or 2B for high volume work,Ludwig 5A for lighter stuff and Gadd or Weckl if I'm looking for a tweener stick.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Been using Vic firth hd4 wood tips for smaller gigs. It's a more solid 7a type stick. Vic firth dave weckl and Steve gadd for most gigs. And I've been doing a lot of pretty big venue gigs this summer so I've been using vater "west side" sticks for those!! I only use wood tips cause I do a lot of r&b/pop music. So the I like the toms to sound full and punchy for the live gigs.

User Info Menu

VATER XD 5As have been a recent aquistition, Iliked the VFs Steve Gadd sticks, but the tips kept breaking.

Interesting that nobody here seems to dislike nylon tips, while in person, I've met a few drummer who really disdain them...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    VATER XD 5As have been a recent aquistition, Iliked the VFs Steve Gadd sticks, but the tips kept breaking.

Interesting that nobody here seems to dislike nylon tips, while in person, I've met a few drummer who really disdain them...
    I love nylon tips...........really like a bright "ping" on my ride.............wood tips just don't hold up as well IMO