Thread: advice for drumsticks for yamaha dtx400 kit

User Info Menu

Default advice for drumsticks for yamaha dtx400 kit

I have some dave weckyl vic firth sticks and would like something a little
    heavier to play with since i'm into harder rock,just don't want anything that is too strong to wreck my kit,any help would be appreciated!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: advice for drumsticks for yamaha dtx400 kit

There are lots of different sticks available - you are probably better off visiting a drum store to see what is available and suitable for your needs. Personally I would be nervous about pounding on an ekit with heavy sticks.

I'm not speaking from personal experience as I don't own an ekit, but (I think) you should be able to get the effects you desire for rock music by changing the settings for the type of drum sound, and volume controls rather than hitting it harder. I consider an ekit to be a different instrument from acoustic - they should be reasonably robust but my personal opinion is that heavy sticks and heavy hitting on something containing sensitive electronics and sensors is a bad idea.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 08-14-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

User Info Menu

Your kit will hold up to your pounding...don't worry ! Years ago I went on the road playing an electronic kit and I was using Vic Firth 5B's . Back then electronic drums were still in their infancy and some of the covers would pop off occasionally , but pads now a days are made differently and hold up well . You can use whatever stick you feel comfortable with without worrying about hurting your pads , especially those Yamaha pads .
    Play on brother !
    Rudy

User Info Menu

Yeah ...pound away . I give my DTX450K a workout every week with "Rock and Roll" " When the Levee Breaks" and "Highway to Hell" and have a blast . I'm gettin' better and they sound great. The Yamaha pads can definitely take it !

User Info Menu

I would be wary of pounding away, edrums are not adrums, and ive messed up my HH pedal because of that. I also have some issues with pads not triggering, which i believe is because of use.

If you're using your ekit for practice and gig with an akit, I would advise using a lighter stick but with the same diameter as you use for your akit. I'd also advise using nylon tips as they won't chip and with ekits it doesn't matter which tip you use.

I did once break a stick on my ekit, and not because i was pounding away, it just happened, so dont worry if that happens to you...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Good point by JR Zeigler . I would suggest every once in a while checking the lead fittings on the pads as I have , due to constant drumming , maybe vibrated the leads off the pads . Simple fix....just slip em back on. Not a big problem but understandable . The pads themselves appear impervious to constant pounding to heavy drumming. Great kit !!

User Info Menu

As a new owner of an eKit, I can tell you that there doesn't seem to be a reason why you couldn't use the same type of stick you would use on an acoustic kit. One thing I did figure out though is it's better to use new sticks on an eKit, as sticks that are splintering from use on an acoustic kit could cause cosmetic damage to the pads of an eKit. And since an eKit won't splinter sticks, they will stay in new condition for a long time.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I would stick with wood tips, I think nylon would be a lot harder on the e-kit.

User Info Menu

I've been using Ahead "Tico Torres" and "Tommy Lee" signature sticks with my e-kit and haven't noticed any issues...................well over 18 months now.