Thread: Intermediate kit help

User Info Menu

Default Intermediate kit help

I am currently deciding what kit to get. It will be an upgrade from a beginners kit after 5 years of playing. Currently I am looking at the new Yamaha stage custom and mapex armory.Ideally a kit with a 20 bass. Has anyone any experience of these and if so what do u recommend? Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Intermediate kit help

I work at an Authorized Yamaha dealer and I love Yamaha products. I also own a Yamaha Maple Custom. I've never owned a Mapex but I have played several and own one snare drum and they are also great products. But I stand behind Yamaha. Which stage custom kit are you looking at?

User Info Menu

Yamaha stage custom birch 2015 with 20 bass

User Info Menu

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of the new mid-line kits, from ANY manufacturer. Unless you have preference for a specific brand, I would just decide on what 3 or 4 kits you want and then wait for the first good deal/clearance price on the first one that pops up. I looked at PDP Concepts (Maple or Birch), then Mapex Mars, then Stage Customs, then Gretsch Catalina's. I ended up finding a killer deal on PDP Concepts and buying them
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

thanks for the advice. I have just found a used deal for sonor force 2007 with hardware and zht cymbals and also a 16'' avedis crash. Considering it.

User Info Menu

If you are looking at birch, I'd also consider the Tama Silverstars. I just found an amazing deal on a used kit. Awesome drums.

Tex

User Info Menu

Pretty much anything from any of the major manufacturers will get it done for you. Shop around, see what sounds best to your ears and looks good and see who will give you the most drum for your money.

Heck, get on line and check out Mapex Meridian Maple kits. They've been discontinued but you can still get them at bargain basement prices (around $500 for a 5 pc kit).
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 08-18-2015 at 07:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Those are both great kits and IMO both are the 2 best kits in their price range.

I would go Yamaha only because they are 100% Birch while the Armory is a hybrid. I have never heard an Armory in person but I did hear a few Ludwig epic's which are also birch/maple hybrids and although they were ok I feel that either 100% birch or 100% maple sounds much better.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Those are both great kits and IMO both are the 2 best kits in their price range.

I would go Yamaha only because they are 100% Birch while the Armory is a hybrid. I have never heard an Armory in person but I did hear a few Ludwig epic's which are also birch/maple hybrids and although they were ok I feel that either 100% birch or 100% maple sounds much better.
    In that case, what about the Mars kit? If I'm remembering correctly, the new Mars kits are 100% birch.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Not a fan of the finishes as silly as that is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    If you are looking at birch, I'd also consider the Tama Silverstars. I just found an amazing deal on a used kit. Awesome drums.

Tex
    Totally agree, these are really awesome sounding drums, 100% birch and you can get them used / like new for $400 if you look around.

User Info Menu

In case it hasn't been said, welcome to Drum Chat, callumwhitten.

As has been said, you can't go wrong. I agree about you choosing an all birch kit. They sound excellent, stage, home, recording (which is a preferred wood for studio engineers according to several sources.)

You will like the Yamaha Stage Custom alot. It's a great sounding kit and it's light weight if you plan to gig with it.

They also make some good hardware that is single braced which again will ease transporting them.

Keep in mind, not only will you need the kit, but you'll need a hardware pack to hold your cymbals and snare along with a kick pedal of your liking.

Then, cymbals!!!

Although, I did see you are upgrading so maybe you are going to use your existing hardware and cymbals. If everything is beginner kit quality, soon after you get your new shells be ready to realize you'll want to upgrade at least your cymbals if not the stands, too.

Be aware if you haven't heard the term GAS yet, it's going to happen.

Lastly, we'll need pictures after you get it home.

Good luck with your shopping and I hope to see an excited update when you are posting pictures of your new pride and joy!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I had new stage custom birch kit. Looked good sound great. It had a 20" bass drum. I like 18" and 22" bass drums. The snare that came with that kit was the best snare sounding that I ever had. I sold that kit and picked up a ludwig 16" bass drum kit. I going to pick up a 18"bass drum yamaha kit, the bebop kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callumwhitten View Post
    Not silly: you'll be looking at them a lot, so the finish is important, too!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

The finish is definitely important. Personally my highest priorities would be - Drum sizes and number of drums, colour scheme, type of wood. The name of manufacturer would be a secondary consideration.

That Sonor 2007 set sounds interesting if the sizes and finish are good for you and in good condition. If it comes with Sonor 200 series hardware that is a definite plus - it will definitely be a vast improvement than the stuff that came with your starter kit.

User Info Menu

Well, being a recent owner of a Mapex Armory I can highly suggest it, for a 6pc shell pack and the snare trade in offer if you are in the U.S is very good price for a "New" kit.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...ostcount=12754

My 2nd kit was a Stage Custom Advantage early 2000 so it wasn't pure birch, something like Birch/Mahogany. I was very happy with the sound of the drums, just not crazy about the sizes and look.

Even though the Armory is a Birch/Maple/Birch Hybrid it holds more of the birch characteristics. The sonic clear bearing edges are as advertised, easy drums to tune though I've never really had tuning issues. The look and style is similar to the Mapex V Saturns with the same lugs and the new Tom clamps are pretty intuitive.

As everyone has mentioned you really can't go wrong with either choice, pretty much boils down to what sounds best to you and what finish you like.

Depending on the price the Sonor 2007 is a great kit, I used have the Maple 3007 and loved the sound I got out of it, I would imagine it would be the same for it's birch 2007 sibling.

In any case enjoy shopping!
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

I'm not a huge fan either. They're not terrible, but they don't really do anything for me either.

I can't believe that I didn't encourage you to scour the used market earlier, but I'll do it now. Unless you absolutely feel the need to buy a brand new kit, your money is going to go way further on the used market. Especially if you're willing to be patient. There aren't as many used kits with 20" bass drums (or new kits for that matter), but they're out there.

If you must go new, look into new old stock kits that have been discontinued. There's some really good prices on Mapex Meridians, Ludwig Signets, and others out there.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice. I am gonna phone the owner of the used sonor and ask if it is a 20 bass. If not I will more than likely go for the Yamaha and keep my hardware and buy a decent crash. Will post pics up when I get the new kits. Thanks

User Info Menu

loved my birch stage custom, best kit for the price for sure. Go to different sites and do a search for the stage custom, you won't be disappointed. Good Luck

User Info Menu

You're not alone. The finishes on the new Mars kits are certainly......unique. It's really more of a synthetic textured faux wood (if I understand them correctly). Not "bad" but certainly different. I'm sure its quality coming from Mapex. I kinda like the Bloodwood finish, but the Bonewood and Smokewood don't do much for me. Aesthetics are important; they communicate your personal style. Even the well-used, mismatched or "road worn" look has its place in representing the desired style of you, your band and your music.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Bit late but I have finally ordered the stage custom birch-will post pics soon and thanks for the advice.

User Info Menu

Bit late but I have finally ordered the stage custom birch-will post pics soon and thanks for the advice.
    Excellent investment. Enjoy and I hope you have many years of rewarded playing on those Yammy's.
    Last edited by Bish; 10-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats!!!! I hope you enjoy them.