Thread: kick drum tilt

User Info Menu

Default kick drum tilt

does anyone know why ppl who play drums have thier kick drum tilted, meaning the legs on the kick drum are pulled all the way out to make the front of the kick drum at a tilted position. ive seen displays of drums in music stores that are like this as well as ppl i know of doin this, any idea why this is or is thier a reason for it. tilted enough to put ur fingers underneath the front of the kick drum.

Shazane Guest

It's so there is less distance between the hammer of the bass pedal and the drum head, it gives you more potential speed and power on the bass for less energy.

User Info Menu

Jbuzz, it also gives more projection to the sound. Much like elevating speakers off the floor, onto a stand.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ahhh I understand this now. It does, however sound like kind of a cheap method. Putting that extra bit of effort into using a kick normally creates alot of beneficial leg strengthening.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default tilted kick drum

ok, that does make sense. thought thier was a reason for it, juss wasnt sure
    thx for the info Shazane, Pastor Bob, 32nd

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Ahhh I understand this now. It does, however sound like kind of a cheap method. Putting that extra bit of effort into using a kick normally creates alot of beneficial leg strengthening.
    You should be able to generate enough power on your own, but it comes into play at high speeds, where you would need to sacrifice power, without a trigger it works pretty well for amplification, and if you don't play that fast it still projects the sound well.

User Info Menu

yeah, dave weckle taught me that one, i didnt really notice the change, but a any positive change to help inhance a drummers proformacne is a good change! taught me over youtube btw lol.

User Info Menu

i saw that video on youtube and tryed it and loved the diferance.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Eh, I'll stick to traditional drum set positioning for now. I'd be afraid that I'd get to used to putting in little effort and then be stuck.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    yeah, dave weckle taught me that one, i didnt really notice the change, but a any positive change to help inhance a drummers proformacne is a good change! taught me over youtube btw lol.
    same for me. thnx dave!!!!! however i didnt have youtube in 1988. i had to accually buy the back to basics video tape

User Info Menu

I do it to lift the drum of the floor similar to reducing the contact points. the drum contacts the floor at the pedal point and the two spurs on either side. I don't have any muffling in my bass drum other than a super kick II and a little bit of felt adheared to my resonant head. It sounds like a cannon instead of a stuffed thud!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    same for me. thnx dave!!!!! however i didnt have youtube in 1988. i had to accually buy the back to basics video tape
    LOL right on man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Eh, I'll stick to traditional drum set positioning for now. I'd be afraid that I'd get to used to putting in little effort and then be stuck.
    But that's silly. If you're afraid of putting too little effort into your playing, simply because you've made it easier to do something, then that's just...weird. You've made it easier to do something so therefore you can expand upon it and get so much better at it.
    Anyway it just seems weird when you don't have it elevated...most beaters are set into a default position that benefit an elevated kick drum.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I can't imagine; no more degree of tilt that you can get with the bass drum spurs, that it would make any difference for your bass drum pedal. It does however make a difference in resonance. Mine sounds more open in a controlled kind of way. I know that makes no sense unless you hear it, so you'll just have to take it at that. But that is the real benifit I can see. I learned that on a Dave Wekal (sp) DVD. He satated that was his reason for tilting it and I thought I would try it and he was right!

User Info Menu

I was told to raise the front of the bass drum about 1 hands width off the floor. This reduces contact points and improves resonance. I hadn't heard about the pedal being easier, because it's closer to the head. I guess that makes sense.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Ive also heard that doing this you can bend the hoop of your bass
    drum because the pedal clamped down is putting pressure to push it down