Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Group Shots of your Band

User Info Menu

Default Re: Group Shots of your Band

Great pic Brian. Looks like a fun bunch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    We have a washboard, complete with soup cans and a turtle shell, but I never play it.
    Well you should ! Suitcase drum kits & cigar box guitars have made a significant comeback ...next comes the Great Washboard Revival.

I was just perusing Corn Cob Bob's Facebook page. Did I see a picture of the drummer picking a banjo ??? (Well, the banjo is the strung-out bastard second-cousin to the drum, so it's all in the family, right ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Well you should ! Suitcase drum kits & cigar box guitars have made a significant comeback ...next comes the Great Washboard Revival.

I was just perusing Corn Cob Bob's Facebook page. Did I see a picture of the drummer picking a banjo ??? (Well, the banjo is the strung-out bastard second-cousin to the drum, so it's all in the family, right ?)
    Ha, yeah that's me. I keep it back by my kit and play it on a couple songs instead of drums. Im not much of a "picker", mostly strumming 1st position chords in a Rythm style pattern. Works well to give a more bluegrass style sound on a few songs and still provide a percussive fill. It's actually a 6-string. I restrung it with XL strings and replaced the top two strings with the same gauge as the bottom (high E). They're both tuned to G thats an octave higher. It gives it that "drone string" sound of a 5-string. Much cleaner and banjo sounding than the traditional 6-string guitar style tuning. I just had to get used to not fretting the top 2 strings and only playing the bottom 4 on some chords.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 07-12-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I see a pedal steel player in the band. Awesome. I want come up and sing a couple or three songs with this band if they'll let me. Does anyone play fiddle?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ha, yeah that's me. I keep it back by my kit and play it on a couple songs instead of drums. Im not much of a "picker", mostly strumming 1st position chords in a Rythm style pattern. Works well to give a more bluegrass style sound on a few songs and still provide a percussive fill. It's actually a 6-string. I restrung it with XL strings and replaced the top two strings with the same gauge as the bottom (high E). They're both tuned to G thats an octave higher. It gives it that "drone string" sound of a 5-string. Much cleaner and banjo sounding than the traditional 6-string guitar style tuning. I just had to get used to not fretting the top 2 strings and only playing the bottom 4 on some chords.
    Very crafty ! Stringing-out the 6-string for bluegrass. And double-drone, no less ! I play the tenor banjo (4 strings). But I use 'Chicago tuning', rather than traditional 5th's tenor banjo tuning. (another trick devised by banjo-playing guitarists). I also play a one-of-a-kind 3-string banjo :

[IMG][/IMG]

In a little while, I am driving down to Oak Hill, NY for the annual Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, staying through Sunday. I go every year. Big names: Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Del McCoury, David Grisman, etc. Plus its a showcase for up-and coming acts. Just gotta transfer the beer from the fridge to the cooler, get the banjos and washboards into the car, and I am off

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I see a pedal steel player in the band. Awesome. I want come up and sing a couple or three songs with this band if they'll let me. Does anyone play fiddle?

all the best...
    The guitar player with the green Strat plays fiddle. Nothing fancy. He played classical violin in high school and college. He's still learning to adapt to bluegrass/country. We're all pretty much your average garage band musicians...except for the steel player in the cowboy hat. He's probably Nashville level. Especially on guitar. Come on up. You can sing and play drums or guitar all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Very crafty ! Stringing-out the 6-string for bluegrass. And double-drone, no less ! I play the tenor banjo (4 strings). But I use 'Chicago tuning', rather than traditional 5th's tenor banjo tuning. (another trick devised by banjo-playing guitarists). I also play a one-of-a-kind 3-string banjo :

[IMG][/IMG]

In a little while, I am driving down to Oak Hill, NY for the annual Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, staying through Sunday. I go every year. Big names: Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Del McCoury, David Grisman, etc. Plus its a showcase for up-and coming acts. Just gotta transfer the beer from the fridge to the cooler, get the banjos and washboards into the car, and I am off
    Sounds like an awesome time! Bela Fleck is insanely talented. His wife, too.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Last edited by dangermoney; 08-01-2016 at 08:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Lates pic of our ugly lot.

"Anti-System" - July 2016

Anti-System - July 2016 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

User Info Menu

The Brian Austin Band - I'm just a sit in drummer for these guys, but we've had some fun gigs together.

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

^^^^ Wow, what a fantastically simple stage set up! I would LOVE to gig with just 3 guys and not all the equipment to pack & haul. I get tired of being in back, surrounded by guitar amps, monitors, extra guitars on stands, etc..
    -Brian

User Info Menu

We can set up and break down in about 15 minutes lol

User Info Menu

It takes us longer than that to disconnect and roll up cords. We can tear down, pack and load in about 35-40 minutes. Set/up takes about an hour. I've tried to get everyone to pack the truck and set up in a specific order. Drum rug is the first to hit the stage, then drums, then amps, etc.. I think our biggest issue is room and order of assembly. We haul everything out of the truck and put it on stage right away. That leaves no room to move around. If the guys set up the monitors, mic stands and string all the cords first, then we're tripping over it all when trying to set up the drums and amps. I think stuff could stay on the truck and be carried in as needed. Mics and chords are the last to set up and instruments should be he very last to be unloaded. Nothing worse than trying to position and set up my drums with amps and guitar cases in the way.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I think this is my favorite ongoing thread on DC. Great pics everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Tex

User Info Menu

I think our biggest issue is room and order of assembly. We haul everything out of the truck and put it on stage right away. That leaves no room to move around.
    I'm in a 17 pc big band and we all travel separately. I try to get to the gig a half hour before everyone else so I don't have this problem. Nothing like trying to set up through a bunch of horn players who only left you a postage stamp sized place to do it.

User Info Menu

I do the same. I travel in my own vehicle and get there and set up before the other two. Usually I'm just adjusting cymbals and stands by time the PA is going up.

User Info Menu

My band: VALTIS

http://valtis.mx

Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Awesome pic! The guitar player in the right looks like Negan from The Walking Dead. Hope his guitar isn't named Lucille, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Hi! Thanks bro! No, it doesn't have a name, AFAIK

Cheers!
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

Great pic!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Great pic!!

all the best...
    Thanks man! the best for you too!!

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

The Varukers - 1992

6c28a20e by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

The Varukers - 2016

13606892_1178009192249588_8522686481921520156_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

A whole life together! You are more than brothers!!

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

New pic from last nights gig. Fantastic, classy place! We're going back in May...and I cant wait!
    IMG_0826.jpg
    -Brian