Thread: Appealing to the eye

User Info Menu

Default Appealing to the eye

hey,

I finally learnt a triplet fill over the weekend which involves crossing and uncrossing my arms and it sure looks fancy and complicated when you speed it up. What sort of drumming do you do that may seem complicated and appealing to the eye?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Appealing to the eye

I do simple quick stick twirls people love. Super simple but lots of fun. I twirl on my way to crash a lot.

As far as toms and cross sticking when I'm doing simple 8th not build ups I will cross sticks back and forth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I do simple quick stick twirls people love. Super simple but lots of fun. I twirl on my way to crash a lot.

As far as toms and cross sticking when I'm doing simple 8th not build ups I will cross sticks back and forth
    When I was watching the videos you posted a few days back I noticed you did a lot of twirls and I was thinking to myself, "man, how does he do that so many times and never drop a stick". :-)

I would have sticks flying everywhere!!!

Take care
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

If you're talking about the double crossover, I love that fill. I learned how to do it by watching a Neil Peart solo. Great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love to observe a drummer (or any musician) that is prepared, intensely focused and producing effective, professional delivery.

All that eye-candy stuff is OK but not a priority.

Any musician that gets these objectives in inverse order looks like a wannabee.

What I mean is..............it is fine to talk the talk if you can walk the walk.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Just play. Seen so many drummers working on the flash while their drumming is lacking. If you can do both well, more power to ya'.

User Info Menu

I make sure my first priority is to play and play my best.
    I fully agree playing should be top priority. Which it is.

Twirling to a crash is simple enough to just add flare and fun.
    I've done it so many times it's just second nature now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I love to observe a drummer (or any musician) that is prepared, intensely focused and producing effective, professional delivery.

All that eye-candy stuff is OK but not a priority.

Any musician that gets these objectives in inverse order looks like a wannabee.

What I mean is..............it is fine to talk the talk if you can walk the walk.
    I never said eye candy stuff is top priority. my top priority is my stick control book however i was curious about it so i asked

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Just play. Seen so many drummers working on the flash while their drumming is lacking. If you can do both well, more power to ya'.
    I make sure my first priority is to play and play my best. I fully agree playing should be top priority. Which it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by keish View Post
    I never said eye candy stuff is top priority. my top priority is my stick control book however i was curious about it so i asked
    Sorry keish..............I did not mean to imply.
    You were curious about it so you asked -- and I gave an opinion.
    As long as you follow Spaz's approach, you will be fine.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Sorry keish..............I did not mean to imply.
    You were curious about it so you asked -- and I gave an opinion.
    As long as you follow Spaz's approach, you will be fine.
    haha not me and the stick twirling for sure they would fly out my hand

User Info Menu

I make sure my first priority is to play and play my best.
    I fully agree playing should be top priority. Which it is.

Same here.
    Last edited by marko138; 08-27-2015 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Me too.

User Info Menu

It's fun for show, but only in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing. Sometimes it's called for, but most of the time it won't be. Like if you're going to the studio to record, when time is money - who's going to be doing all that cute marching band stuff then? That could cost you the job, and possibly your spot in the band as their drummer. It's something to add only after you can play your songs reliably well, each and every time. Because that's what gets you hired, and to remain that way.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think you will find that as you develop more and more skill that it feels good in your limbs and body as you execute stuff. Like others said it's not about flash but if the mechanics are right and your playing with good technique&timing then of course it's gonna look hip as well.

But this sort of thing doesn't happen just in drumming and you know I'm primarily a lead guitarist and I can feel it in my hands a little bit just running scales.

But no when you got the mojo going it shows like in Surfing or figure skating to a wide receiver making a one hand grab or someone like Bruce Lee doing his kung fu thing it has a feel and a flow to it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's about synchronization of your limbs and your body. If the timing is right and everything is flowing then it just has a certain feel and of course it's gonna look natural and fluid.

I've been playing blues for forever. and yet only a few times have I feel into a groove while doing an improvised solo live that it just felt awesome. and I was kind of like behind the beat totally grooving. It just felt good. sorry don't mean to ramble but you folks know what I'm talking about. But here just to get my point across. Yup forget all that flashy stuff and zero in on the groove!
    Last edited by wired; 08-27-2015 at 06:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    I think you will find that as you develop more and more skill that it feels good in your limbs and body as you execute stuff. Like others said it's not about flash but if the mechanics are right and your playing with good technique&timing then of course it's gonna look hip as well.

But this sort of thing doesn't happen just in drumming and you know I'm primarily a lead guitarist and I can feel it in my hands a little bit just running scales.

But no when you got the mojo going it shows like in Surfing or figure skating to a wide receiver making a one hand grab or someone like Bruce Lee doing his kung fu thing it has a feel and a flow to it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's about synchronization of your limbs and your body. If the timing is right and everything is flowing then it just has a certain feel and of course it's gonna look natural and fluid.

I've been playing blues for forever. and yet only a few times have I feel into a groove while doing an improvised solo live that it just felt awesome. and I was kind of like behind the beat totally grooving. It just felt good. sorry don't mean to ramble but you folks know what I'm talking about. But here just to get my point across. Yup forget all that flashy stuff and zero in on the groove!
    Only got to watch the albert vid really soulful.i loved how the drummer played didnt do too much didnt too little.thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

You're right. It's not always about being busy. It's real easy for any instrument to start playing too much and before you know it you're stepping on everybody but then again it's according to what the song needs. People say it's not what you play but what you don't play. The restraint is important.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have an extensive vinyl collection lot's of hair metal/jazz/country records yet today I was drumming to a Dobbie Gray record because the music is just so soulful. Just some beautiful songs on that record. Makes me feel good and puts a smile on my face.