Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another CL score- 1969 Zickos 4pc shell pack

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another CL score- 1969 Zickos 4pc shell pack

Did you buy those over at Gelb?
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous Rich...............I've always loved acrylic kits...................and to have a classic, is just icing on the cake.

Congrats Brother

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I would hold on to them man cause they are Vintage and you can't argue that. Best deal you ever did on a kit. Congrats
    Thanks Gilles. I learned a lot of new info on acrylics! Thanks for your contribution to this thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I bet you're one happy camper with both new (to you) kits! Beautiful drums! Love the angle of the tom mounts!
    Thanks Mike! I was totally stoked when I walked up on this kit. Pics don't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Did you buy those over at Gelb?
    No I found this guy on my local CL. He's claiming to know Neil Young's drummer Ralph Molina, who lives in SF. Apparently, Neil let Molina go and a warehouse full of Neils drums are getting sold off. The guy who traded with me is making room in his house to grab some of Neil's stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous Rich...............I've always loved acrylic kits...................and to have a classic, is just icing on the cake.

Congrats Brother
    Thanks Butch!!
    Last edited by late8; 08-25-2015 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Saw a set of those over at Gelb a few weeks ago.

I thought maybe they were doing consignment or something.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Those look incredible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Those look incredible.
    Thanks Mark!

User Info Menu

Awesome. The fact that they have the original heads is a double score. Congrats!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Awesome. The fact that they have the original heads is a double score. Congrats!
    Thanks Brian! I'm blown away that the original owner had this kit hidden in cases for 30+ years before selling it to the guy I traded with. I was told that most 1st gen Zickos kits have hardware missing or have been heavily modified in some manner. As you stated, having the original Zicko heads on top and bottom makes this special. Most folks like me have never heard of Zickos until I joined this forum. You and many others here have a depth of knowledge that's so impressive and I learn something new every time I log on. Thanks to all of you out there!!

User Info Menu

Bought new heads yesterday. Decided to go with Evans.

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, the factory Zickos heads had plastic crimps that eventually failed after 40+ years on the kit.

The hinged tension rods claws fit into rectangular slots that were cut into the hoops.

The clarity of the shells is unbeliveable. This pic was taken from the inside of the shell looking out.

Last edited by late8; 08-26-2015 at 10:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Bearing edge.

Rack tom heads are now clear EC2/clear G1

Kick now has EQ3 clear batter as a reso over EMAD2

Last edited by late8; 08-26-2015 at 11:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Swapped out the snare batter for a G2 clear/300 hazy

Before

After

Last edited by late8; 08-26-2015 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I absolutely LOVE that kit! I'd completely forgotten about this first issue style of Zikos drums. The quality of design and manufacture is simply stunning. The lug and hoop system is so unique and fully functional with chrome as deep as I've seen in quite some time - a true representation of the drum making art. The change to clear heads was the crowning jewel. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. I just can't stare at that set enough!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I absolutely LOVE that kit! I'd completely forgotten about this first issue style of Zikos drums. The quality of design and manufacture is simply stunning. The lug and hoop system is so unique and fully functional with chrome as deep as I've seen in quite some time - a true representation of the drum making art. The change to clear heads was the crowning jewel. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. I just can't stare at that set enough!

GeeDeeEmm
    You're welcome Gee!

User Info Menu

Wow. Can't believe how CLEAR those shells are. That kits like brand new. I doubt it was ever cleaned/dusted.....or the shells would probably be hazy with micro scratches. Your lucky to have found them, and they're lucky to now be owned by someone like you who appreciates and will take care of them. A happy ending for all involved!

And they look 100X better with the new heads. Great choice.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow. Can't believe how CLEAR those shells are. That kits like brand new. I doubt it was ever cleaned/dusted.....or the shells would probably be hazy with micro scratches. Your lucky to have found them, and they're lucky to now be owned by someone like you who appreciates and will take care of them. A happy ending for all involved!

And they look 100X better with the new heads. Great choice.
    Thanks Brian. I had a chance to play them briefly yesterday after work and I was taken back by the tone and resonance of the shells. Bill Zickos got it right. I dropped a piece of moon gel on the two 10x14" toms up top and found a wonderful tone which was very close to birch. I made my way back and forth between the Pearl Export kit (5ply luan/1ply birch) and the Zickos kit and to my surprise, the Zickos kit was in the same tonal range as the Exports.

The EQ pillow and the EMAD2 batter on the kick help quell the ringing I heard when the stock Zickos heads were still on but I wasn't sure if the shells were the culprit of the nasty overtones. I had to pry each one off with a quite a bit of effort so I'm going to assume it was the old heads.

Last edited by late8; 08-27-2015 at 11:41 AM.

User Info Menu

They look amazing.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

With the new heads I wouldn't even want to play it.. keep it clean hahaha

so clean. Great deal for sure.

User Info Menu

That floor tom in the last picture looks like it is invisible cause all you see is the hardware. Still a beautiful kit man you got a great deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    They look amazing.
    Thanks EyePea.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    With the new heads I wouldn't even want to play it.. keep it clean hahaha

so clean. Great deal for sure.
    Zack, I feel the same way. I didn't want to mar up the heads yesterday when I sat down on the throne to play it for the first time. I sat a few feet away from the kit and just stared at the workmanship that went into making it and I still have to pinch myself.

That floor tom in the last picture looks like it is invisible cause all you see is the hardware. Still a beautiful kit man you got a great deal.
    Gilles, I had to go back and look at that floor tom pic and you're absolutely right. I looks very "ghost like". Good eye man!

User Info Menu

Love the clear on clear on clear!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Love the clear on clear on clear!
    Thanks Mark.

User Info Menu

+1 Great stuff. Love the Rudes, too.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    +1 Great stuff. Love the Rudes, too.
    Thanks JohnnyG!

User Info Menu

Wow man.. i personally detest plastic kits.. just something about them i hate.. BUT.. i LOVE that kit. and i can't believe how clear the plastic is. Have you found any cracks around lugs or anything out of place? BTW.. what was the guy asking cash? if you don't mind.. just curiosity..

User Info Menu

Whoa late those look awesome! Very nice score man. I'd keep it for the unique hardware alone, it's a collectors piece for sure. You gonna play those racks together, or use one for a side floor tom on the opposite side of the 18?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments