Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another CL score- 1969 Zickos 4pc shell pack

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another CL score- 1969 Zickos 4pc shell pack

Wow! That's a sweet kit Rich! Nice score for sure.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    Wow man.. i personally detest plastic kits.. just something about them i hate.. BUT.. i LOVE that kit. and i can't believe how clear the plastic is. Have you found any cracks around lugs or anything out of place? BTW.. what was the guy asking cash? if you don't mind.. just curiosity..
    No cracks or scratches found. The asking price for the kit was $595. I paid $580 for the 6.5x14" and had it for almost 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Whoa late those look awesome! Very nice score man. I'd keep it for the unique hardware alone, it's a collectors piece for sure. You gonna play those racks together, or use one for a side floor tom on the opposite side of the 18?
    Thanks Russ. Going to keep the two 10x14" rack toms side by side. The toms tuned up much easier with the new heads. I had to pry off the old ones off with some force.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Wow! That's a sweet kit Rich! Nice score for sure.
    Thanks DrummerD! I got lucky!!

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread for an update. Found a used 5.5x14" Pork Pie Pig Lite clear acrylic snare for $169 on ebay. This should round out the Zickos 4 pc shell pack. Expected to arrive in a week. Thinking about swapping out the black lugs, tuning rods and hoops with chrome from my 7x14" Dark Cherry Pork Pie Little Squealer snare. Black on red and chrome on clear:

User Info Menu

Hey nice snare! I've heard the pig lite snares sound pretty good, perhaps pleasingly different than you'd expect from an acrylic shell. I remember hearing about a dc member or two getting one. Hope it works out well for ya.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hey nice snare! I've heard the pig lite snares sound pretty good, perhaps pleasingly different than you'd expect from an acrylic shell. I remember hearing about a dc member or two getting one. Hope it works out well for ya.
    Thanks Russ! I think Spaz (aka Zack) has a few PP snares.

User Info Menu

I don't think I have ever seen an acrylic kit in such pristine condition.
    It's almost like the previous owner did not use them at all...........and they had the original heads ?
    That is unheard of.

I don't recall seeing many Zickos or paying much attention to them when I did, but I like those lugs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My buddy had a Zickos with similar sizes back in 1977..
    That was the 1st Acrylic kit I had seen or played on as he had jam sessions.
    Myself I have a Crush clear kit.
    2013 Crush Clear Acrylic
    2015 Ludwig Breakbeats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thinking about swapping out the black lugs, tuning rods and hoops with chrome from my 7x14" Dark Cherry Pork Pie Little Squealer snare. Black on red and chrome on clear:

Rich, I think swapping the hardware will make both of the snares look better.

User Info Menu

Awesome snare, Rich. The swap would look great on both for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I don't think I have ever seen an acrylic kit in such pristine condition.
    It's almost like the previous owner did not use them at all...........and they had the original heads ?
    That is unheard of.

I don't recall seeing many Zickos or paying much attention to them when I did, but I like those lugs.
    Ricardo, the previous owner had them stashed away for at least 10 years. The reso side of the factory heads are untouched. It's as though I went back in time to 1969. The shells are back in the cases for now. I don't see a need to gig with this set up. Too fragile for my clumsy moves.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Rich, I think swapping the hardware will make both of the snares look better.
    Thanks for your input Butch.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Awesome snare, Rich. The swap would look great on both for sure.
    Thanks Mark. I think I can check off the want for an acrylic kit from my "bucket list". This should round out the stable

User Info Menu

Ricardo, the previous owner had them stashed away for at least 10 years. The reso side of the factory heads are untouched. It's as though I went back in time to 1969. The shells are back in the cases for now. I don't see a need to gig with this set up. Too fragile for my clumsy moves.

Thanks for your input Butch.

Thanks Mark. I think I can check off the want for an acrylic kit from my "bucket list". This should round out the stable
    I don't believe you. HAHA.

User Info Menu

Thanks Russ! I think Spaz (aka Zack) has a few PP snares.
    I actually own that exact clear snare! haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I actually own that exact clear snare! haha
    Phat sound huh?

User Info Menu

definitely a phat tone. I put the power dot snare head on there to accent all the black looks cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    definitely a phat tone. I put the power dot snare head on there to accent all the black looks cool.

User Info Menu

I love that snare with the black on it. I think it will stand out just enough, as a snare should, IMO.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Have you measured the lug, strainer, and butt plate holes to be sure both hardware types are compatible with each snare shell?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think the red snare w/chrome looks awesome with the red kit. Perfect match. If that's the "gig" kit that everyone sees, I would probably leave the chrome on red. For the clear snare, I would just buy chrome hoops & rods for it....which are relatively inexpensive. I would measure the bolt pattern on the lugs, then look for another set of chrome lugs (new or used) that fit and match the Zicko lugs better. Just my $.02.......
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    I love that snare with the black on it. I think it will stand out just enough, as a snare should, IMO.
    Hmmm...You might have a point JohnnyG
    Have you measured the lug, strainer, and butt plate holes to be sure both hardware types are compatible with each snare shell?
    No not yet Russ. Good point. The Little Squealer snare is 7" deep, the Pig Lite is 5.5" deep. The tuning lugs coming off of the Pig Lite may be too short to accommodate a 7" deep snare.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think the red snare w/chrome looks awesome with the red kit. Perfect match. If that's the "gig" kit that everyone sees, I would probably leave the chrome on red. For the clear snare, I would just buy chrome hoops & rods for it....which are relatively inexpensive. I would measure the bolt pattern on the lugs, then look for another set of chrome lugs (new or used) that fit and match the Zicko lugs better. Just my $.02.......
    Point well taken. I had my eye on a new Pig Lite with chrome hardware but the price it was $100 more than the used Pig Lite. I want to avoid having to buy anything at this point so the swap made sense at the time.

User Info Menu

Hmm, depth might make a different sound regardless no?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That kit brings back memories, I had the same one when I was a kid in the late 70's. I was too young to know if they were anything special and I never liked having both rack toms the same size. Of course back then I didn't know much about how to really tune a drum either. I ended up trading it in after a few years and buying a ludwig kit which I owned for almost 30 years before selling it.

User Info Menu

cant believe they still have the stock heads!
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Looks very much like mine. BTW, Evans has blue hydraulic heads. They made the original heads for Zickos in the 60's and 70's. Mine is outfitted with the new heads.

User Info Menu

Wow! What a kit!
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Hmm, depth might make a different sound regardless no?
    Don't know...this is my first acrylic snare. Going for more of a matching look than sound at this point. Tuning and heads will determine how I end up with the some type of acceptable sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    That kit brings back memories, I had the same one when I was a kid in the late 70's. I was too young to know if they were anything special and I never liked having both rack toms the same size. Of course back then I didn't know much about how to really tune a drum either. I ended up trading it in after a few years and buying a ludwig kit which I owned for almost 30 years before selling it.
    Wow...great memories for sure ScottW. The previous owner claims that back in the day, James Brown's drummer ordered the same kit in the same configuration. It's nice to have twins toms in the sense where I can set them up evenly and line the kit up as symmetrically as possible.

Zickos kit in the background:

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    cant believe they still have the stock heads!
    I was taken aback by the original heads. It was like walking into a "time machine". Here's a pic of the hoop from inside the 18x18" floor tom. The plastic crimp shrank over time and it took a bit of prying to remove the old heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    Looks very much like mine. BTW, Evans has blue hydraulic heads. They made the original heads for Zickos in the 60's and 70's. Mine is outfitted with the new heads.
    I was hoping you would chime in Zickos!! As I recall, you are the only drummer on DC that has a Zickos kit? The previous owner suggested the Evans blue hydraulics heads as well which would restore the original look to the kit but for now, I'll use all clear heads. Simple looking hardware which included the original socket wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Wow! What a kit!
    Thanks drumstix!!
    Last edited by late8; 09-08-2015 at 03:36 PM.