Thread: Old Catalina Maple question

User Info Menu

Default Old Catalina Maple question

Hey Gang,

I have an older Catalina Maple. It's a beautiful kit with the Tobbacco Fade Sunburst finish. Years ago I ordered an 8" add-on tom and it has given me the high pitch I always wanted. However...

I want to add a 13". I grew up in the 80's where monster drum kits were what you had to have, and I still love it when somebody sees a big kit and goes "whoa...."

Gretsch used to offer it as an add-on, too, but the color is gone, the cat maple line has changed, and now with DW in the mix, I think it's a lost cause unless somebody here knows a guy who might want to part with one.

Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old Catalina Maple question

Welcome back Kevin! I looked on the Gretsch website and it appears they still offer the Cats in the same color and shell config. I kept the time and date on the screenshots at the bottom of the menu bar as proof that it's today's date. Are you assuming they have discontinued the finish or have you heard directly from Gretsch that the tobacco fade in a 13" tom has been discontinued? Thanks...

User Info Menu

I called Gretsch / DW and they don't have them anymore. Oh well...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I called Gretsch / DW and they don't have them anymore. Oh well...
    Oh man...that sucks! Good luck in your search!

User Info Menu

I don't think you're losing out on anything not having the 13" tom. when i had my Premier kit i had 8,10,12,13,14,16 toms. I ended up not ever using the 13" because there was not a lot of difference between it and the 12 and 14.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I don't think you're losing out on anything not having the 13" tom. when i had my Premier kit i had 8,10,12,13,14,16 toms. I ended up not ever using the 13" because there was not a lot of difference between it and the 12 and 14.
    I agree with this. 13" doesn't add much between a 12 and a 14. It makes a great stand alone tom if you were 4 or 5 piece.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    This. In your setup, the 13" tom is a waste of money and space. Then again, if you must have it, you must have it.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    i agree with this. 13" doesn't add much between a 12 and a 14. It makes a great stand alone tom if you were 4 or 5 piece.

All the best...
    +1

User Info Menu

13 is like this weird size that is sort of out of place, and tough to get a good result from when combined with the other tom sizes on the kit. They're great for odd jobs, projects, practice tools, but unless i'm going for as many pieces on the kit as possible it generally doesn't see a lot of usage. Your kit is actually perfect the way it is, in my opinion. Only things from that line I would add(assuming you found them in that wickedly awesome finish) are a bass drum, floor tom, or snare for side effect.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

In defense of 13": I prefer it over my 12" in my set ups. Tough mounting a 14"...looks extra cool in a BJ Wilson(Procol Harum, RIP) configuration with the 13" to the left of the 10".
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/