Thread: Ordering a Wuhan China today

User Info Menu

Default Ordering a Wuhan China today

I've said it many many times, but I can finally get around to ordering one today. My options are the 12", 14" or 16". I need help choosing. Prices are bad for Wuhan here, but I don't mind. If I don't like the way it sounds, I've found that the more you play Wuhans, the better they sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ordering a Wuhan China today

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've said it many many times, but I can finally get around to ordering one today. My options are the 12", 14" or 16". I need help choosing. Prices are bad for Wuhan here, but I don't mind. If I don't like the way it sounds, I've found that the more you play Wuhans, the better they sound.

Whichever size you go for consider buying a cymbal spring to mount it as (apparently) they are very thin and have a reputation for being fragile, hopefully this should double its life expectancy if you are a heavy hitter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post

Whichever size you go for consider buying a cymbal spring to mount it as (apparently) they are very thin and have a reputation for being fragile, hopefully this should double its life expectancy if you are a heavy hitter.
    Although I am a heavy hitter, I've never broken a cymbal. I heard the same thing about them being fragile.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had a 16" and a 12" and hated both of them so I would say try a 14" I got a zildjian K 14" china and love it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I would buy more than one if you can. I go thru mine pretty fast even though I stack them on top of other cymbals. Even after they crack I still use it to stack. (Hey, that rhymes!!!) but if you're schedule is busy you will go thru it fast

User Info Menu

I've sold many and have never played one that I really liked. The best one was probably the 12" that I had, because it was less like a trash can lid...it had some splash to it. But these are so inconsistent that it's really hard to recommend a size by ordering online. I've heard some 16"'s that sounded very good on recordings. I've played some that literally sounded like a pot out of my kitchen, too.
    Also, in my experience at least, Wuhans aren't necessarily thin, they're just not as well-made. I had a 16" where one edge was paper thin and the other was quite a bit thicker, and there was a row of dents on one side (this was a brand new cymbal btw). Others are perfect.
    Also, since Dream is a canadian company, have you ever looked up the cost of their chinas? They are called "lion" chinas I think, but they are the exact same thing as Wuhan, made in the same factory. If local stores carry them, that may be a safer way to purchase one since you can hear and inspect it first.

User Info Menu

I recently read some cymbal reviews and the Wuhan 14" was reported as being "the best" China type cymbal. Of course, you have to remember, they're hand made and, every one of them sounds different than the next. Always going to be a risk if you can't hear it before buying but, since they're pretty cheap it might be a risk worth taking.
    Last edited by Railroadin_saylor; 09-05-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fix grammar

User Info Menu

I ordered the 16". Can't wait to play it!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have an 18" that I picked up at a pawn shop for $15---it's a loud, obnoxious trash can lid on steroids---perfect for heavier music, and a great accent when hit lightly! Get the spring mount---your ears will thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    I have an 18" that I picked up at a pawn shop for $15---it's a loud, obnoxious trash can lid on steroids---perfect for heavier music, and a great accent when hit lightly! Get the spring mount---your ears will thank you
    Looks like the guitars for performing sentry duty to keep unwanteds away from your kit. Nice.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I ordered from Musicians Friend off of EBay. Should be in late September.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wuhan's aren't terrible but they aren't quite right for my tastes. If I was to buy a china right now, it would be one of Zildjian's designs from the A series. Haven't really been disappointed with those yet, and a major name like that would have better resale value if you ever decide to sell. When I buy something, I don't want to buy it more than once if possible - so the cymbal would have to be for keeps. 16's or 18's, love the sustain. Probably wouldn't go beyond that because it would be hard to organize everything.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-07-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have two 18" Wuhan China's. The key is to put a large felt on each side of the cymbal cup (bell) and do not tighten it up on the stand, let it float loose. Never cracked one in 30 years using them.
    The thing I like about the Wuhan's is they have a very quick decay, they get out of the way quickly. I have a couple other China's (Kasza, Istanbul) I use when I want a longer sustain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I ordered the 16". Can't wait to play it!
    Nice!! A 16" should be nice and loud!!

User Info Menu

Wuhan is so hit or miss... had a china I loved played it for years even while it was breaking into a million pieces. Ordered a new one and it was HORRIBLE! sold it and ordered another one and it was ok. So I kept it around.

User Info Menu

Came home and found a box on my doorstep. My 16" came in today! I got lucky and love the sound of it. It sounds a lot darker and longer than any video I've seen. Two thumbs up.

I'm still trying to figure out if it should be hit on the shoulder or right at the edge like a crash

-Mike

User Info Menu

^that's great to hear!

User Info Menu

Good to hear you got one you like FBN as they do have a reputation of all sounding different.

Personally I like to invert chinas and try to strike 'across' the flat area of the inverted cymbal and (try) to avoid 'chopping motions' directly into the cymbal at a 90 degree angle stick or striking into the edge.

User Info Menu

Glad you got a good one, they can be hard to find. Especially without being able to hear it in person.

User Info Menu

Glad it worked out. Consider yourself lucky!

User Info Menu

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.