Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inconsistent Drum Dial

User Info Menu

Default Re: Inconsistent Drum Dial

I get a slightly different reading while adjusting than when I re-measure after lifting. Must have to do with the slight adjustment movement, etc., the little bit of sliding(also not recommended) that occurs.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Will have another play this week

User Info Menu

Mine came with a spacing attachment that clips to the dial and bumps up against the rim, so that the distance is always the same from the lug to the inside of the rim...that 1" distance - Not sure if all the dials come with that attachment or not...but if it did, using it will get you a consistent distance from the rim when going from lug to lug.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Mine did not come with that clip that you mention. I just hold it out 1 inch away from the hoop. I have EC2's so I just use the edge control as the spacer.

User Info Menu

Spacer came with mine

User Info Menu

If only I had as many drum dials as there are tension rods for the drum.. Could use all at once?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i have never had luck with any dial/watch but i have had success fine tuning with drum bot and iDrumTune on iphone

let your ears do the hard work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i have never had luck with any dial/watch but i have had success fine tuning with drum bot and iDrumTune on iphone

let your ears do the hard work
    Have been messing with idrumtune last night

User Info Menu

Mine is very consistent as long as you use it exactly as directed, meaning to re-measure after even the slightest adjustments.
    Also you HAVE to pick it up off the head gently or it will need re-calibrated very often.

Nevertheless, since it requires the shell being flat (obviously lol), I basically only find it useful to set my reso sides to the numbers I found sounded best for each individual shell, this way, as long as I use the same reso models all I need to do is bring it back to the same numbers. I still fine-tune by ear to make sure the head is even at all lugs.

Once the shells are mounted/setup then IMO it's a waste of time, especially for the batters since they'll need tweaked much more often, and in the time it would take to get the drum unmounted you could already have it back in tune and be halfway through the next song haha.

Still, as a beginner it was a good way for me to know I wasn't going overboard with tightness, and also after determining each shell's "perfect" pitch/numbers on the reso it'll make future reso changes a breeze, as long as I stay with the G1 clears of course.

As already stated a few post up, a reading of 75 will result in different pitches even on the same drum if you change to a different head model. (single vs double, EC vs clears ect...)

Definitely not a replacement for ear-tuning, just a good point of reference for a newby.
    Last edited by dave74; 12-26-2015 at 03:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Have to say, I am getting better with it. Still prefer the Kettle Bell though

User Info Menu

I love my Drum Dial---just use the little chart that comes with it to get even tension (head tension trumps rod tension all day long) then count the turns to fine tune to personal taste---the numbers they give you put you on the low end, so you will be tightening the rods (unless you like floppy heads) I don't see much use for it when changing a damaged head on the fly, but on the bench it is a great time saver!

User Info Menu

This

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I had troubles with mine and just tossed it in a drawer. I just tune by ear.
    If you don't like it and don't use it...¿can I have it?