Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally starting the re-wrap project

User Info Menu

Default Finally starting the re-wrap project

Today I pulled the trigger on almost $200 worth of wrap from Bum Wrap Drum Co. I will be changing my Sound Percussion kit entirely and my homemade 16 x 7 snare.
    The main three pieces of the kit will be white abalone so they reflect lights well on stage. Gonna be a perfect gigging kit.
    The snare that came with the kit will have horizontal lightning bolts going around it. Trust me. It will look cool.
    The big MEGA snare will have a custom wrap inspired by the skin of the blue poison dart frog.
    Here's some before pics.

Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finally starting the re-wrap project

More before shots of the main little kit and the MEGA snare

The finish for the big snare

The finish for the little kit. Go to this link and check out the white (#6)
    [commercial link deleted. See forum rules. - Thx, Tom]

The finish for the little 13 x 4 snare. Check out the horizontal bolts with the starry background (#4)
    [commercial link deleted. See forum rules. - Thx, Tom]
    Last edited by Johnny G; 09-04-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Re-wrap projects are so much fun! It's like getting a new kit. Bumwrap stuff is nice - I did a jazz kit in one of their wood finishes - looks fantastic and it's easy to use. Can't wait to see the finished kit pictures.

User Info Menu

Like G-Man said it is a lot of fun, take your time. I have also used BumWrap and their stuff looks real nice. You're going to be so proud of it when your done. Keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Sweet. Can't wait to see the final outcome. Love these type of threads.

Tex

User Info Menu

I did my set over with White Abalone. Love how it looks and the gloss is incredible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I did my set over with White Abalone. Love how it looks and the gloss is incredible.
    Picture?

User Info Menu

The pictures do not do the wrap justice.

You can probably get a better view of it in my last video.

User Info Menu

Kit otta look awesome. I'm currently working on removing old wraps from my Premier kit, not as easy as yours looks as its got heavy glue all the way around the drums. I'm still trying to decide if I'm gonna get some custom graphic wraps or stain and clear coat them......decisions, decisions. I do have a pretty awesome graphic picked out for them, black background with red flame/flowers (they look pretty damn cool) and a bit of smoke. Just can't make up my mind which way to go yet.
    Last edited by Railroadin_saylor; 09-05-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Fix spelling and add more

User Info Menu

gonna be psychedelic for sure

User Info Menu

Not trying to hi-jack your thread Johnny, but here's the time line on how mine went down. Not to mention due to not knowing what wrap to use, it took me several years to complete.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Signature here

User Info Menu

Then when I found a wrap I liked....

This

became this

Completed.

I will say the one thing about using a "wood type" wrap is you can never trust another kit to know if it's real or a wrap.

Have fun, take your time. If you have any questions about how to do something, just ask. I found several short cuts or I was able to debunk some myths about the difficulty.

One I got started it only took me a couple hours to complete all drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Dude, hijack away if you're gonna offer that kind of encouragement. Your kit came our great! (That previous paint job was...ahhh...interesting.)
    I thought about a wood wrap, but decided to save that for another project. There are too many choices on their website. Add in the opportunity to design your own custom wrap for no extra charge? No brainer.
    Did you use an exacto knife for all the lug screw holes, or is there a better way?
    I should have the wraps by early next week. I couldn't be more excited!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Dude, hijack away if you're gonna offer that kind of encouragement. Your kit came our great! (That previous paint job was...ahhh...interesting.)
    I thought about a wood wrap, but decided to save that for another project. There are too many choices on their website. Add in the opportunity to design your own custom wrap for no extra charge? No brainer.
    Did you use an exacto knife for all the lug screw holes, or is there a better way?
    I should have the wraps by early next week. I couldn't be more excited!
    Everybody said to use an exacto knife so I bought one when I bought my clamps. I used it for 2 or 3 holes and then used a drill bit the size of the lug holes and it went zip, zip, zip and done! I did all the rest of the holes in about the same amount of time it took me to exacto out the first several.

The drill bit worked perfectly.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Now would be the time to fill the mount holes in the bass drum if you want. It's easy to do, but takes a little time. The bolt holes are super easy, just buy an appropriate size dowel rod from any art/craft store for $.89. Even WalMart sells them. The large post hole is a little harder, but not bad. I cut an oversized round piece out of plywood, then use a Dremel to sand the edges down to the exact diameter that fits tight. If you wrap the shells, you don't even need to worry about using wood filler to blend everything perfectly flush with the shell contour. Just sand it relatively flush and install the wrap.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great thread...I found a 11x14" Pearl Export tom I'm going to recover in Flash Yellow wrap...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Everybody said to use an exacto knife so I bought one when I bought my clamps. I used it for 2 or 3 holes and then used a drill bit the size of the lug holes and it went zip, zip, zip and done! I did all the rest of the holes in about the same amount of time it took me to exacto out the first several.

The drill bit worked perfectly.
    Awesome news!! Any particular type of drill bit? Just a regular wood bit?
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Now would be the time to fill the mount holes in the bass drum if you want. It's easy to do, but takes a little time. The bolt holes are super easy, just buy an appropriate size dowel rod from any art/craft store for $.89. Even WalMart sells them. The large post hole is a little harder, but not bad. I cut an oversized round piece out of plywood, then use a Dremel to sand the edges down to the exact diameter that fits tight. If you wrap the shells, you don't even need to worry about using wood filler to blend everything perfectly flush with the shell contour. Just sand it relatively flush and install the wrap.
    I was planning on doing just this as you describe. Thanks. I saw some fat dowels that might fit the big post hole. I'm gonna fill the mounting holes on the rack tom, too. Fit it with a RIMS mount.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    Awesome news!! Any particular type of drill bit? Just a regular wood bit?
    I used the sharpest newest bit I had on hand. One trick. I set the shell on a block of wood and drilled from the inside out. I little tricky on the 12" since the drill barely fit inside it but with the block of wood to drill into, it kept the wrap from shredding.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I used the sharpest newest bit I had on hand. One trick. I set the shell on a block of wood and drilled from the inside out. I little tricky on the 12" since the drill barely fit inside it but with the block of wood to drill into, it kept the wrap from shredding.
    I also did the block of wood trick. Helped a lot. I use the block a lot for car stuff too
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 09-11-2015 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I would be totally lost without my Dremel tool. I use it all the time. It has the long flexible shaft attachment, which works great. Every home owner/DIY should own one. I've used it extensively on all my drum projects. I even used it to port and polish the aluminum head on the 1.6L engine I swapped into my Festiva, LOL. The only thing I haven't tried with it is a root canal. But, if health insurance goes up any more, I just might....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks, Bish and Spaz. I'm just good enough with power tools to try this. I'm buying a new exacto knife just in case anyway.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Should look into a step bit. I've used that for almost everything! Such a great bit.

User Info Menu

Never heard of a step bit, but I'll find one. Thanks again. Keep the tips coming.

Btw, just read an email that says my wraps ship on mon or tue!!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

These are step bits. With a drill bit you'll never get a true circle. With these you will and can control the size with ease