Thread: Wrap steel snare?

User Info Menu

Default Wrap steel snare?

Just wondering, has anybody wrapped a steel snare? If so, what did it do to the sound of the drum?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrap steel snare?

We use those drums for playing wrap music.

User Info Menu

Lol

User Info Menu

Is there anything cosmetically wrong with it now?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Is there anything cosmetically wrong with it now?
    No, don't even have snare I would want to do this to yet. I'm working on stripping wraps off my Premier set at moment. Im still undecided if I'm going to put new wraps on or stain and lacquer. At moment have a Mapex piccolo snare with kit but would like to pick up a 6.5"X14" Premier snare to add to kit. So, if I decide to wrap set, I might like to wrap the snare slightly different than set but in same theme and wondering if can wrap a steel snare and still have it sound good. It would give me a better range of possibilities to chose from when looking for snare to purchase.

User Info Menu

To tell you he truth I don't think steel snare is made to be wrapped but you can try it and let us know what it sounds like. It is your snare to do what you want and if you don't like it you re-wrap easy enough.

User Info Menu

It could done, I'm sure. You'll need to make sure the shell is flat sided and doesn't have "ribs" formed into the side.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Someone who used to be on the forum wrapped one. Turned out pretty nice. The wrap just seals on each end instead of the whole shell. The lugs will hold it in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Check out Black Swamp and Dynamix. They wrap metal and it is the bee's knees right now. For warm metal tones, this seems to be a trend actually.
    Their most demanded drum currently is the wrapped titanium shell. They use wood veneers instead of plastic wrap, but I would think it would have the same effect.
    I would try it some day if i had a flat steel shell. Most have a center bead
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris