Thread: bass drum mic

User Info Menu

Default bass drum mic

So I'm going to need one for an upcoming gig. I might be able to borrow one, but just in case I have to buy one, I'd like a little advise. I'd prefer not to buy one, or spend as little money as possible.

Let's assume i won't find one used.

1. Is there a way to use another type of microphone that might be cheaper?

2. Recommendations on low to mid range ones.

Thanks guys!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: bass drum mic

You can,probably find a Nady DM90 pretty cheap. They aren't D112 or SM Beta52 but will get the job done. I have used Shure SM57 and 58 in a pinch.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

I've used that Nady DM90 myself in a cheap situation and it did the job. Depth wasn't there but you get what you got.

User Info Menu

The Audix D6 is the bass drum mic for me and is not that expensive new -$199. If you cannot find a used one, just use an SM57 or SM58. You will not get the depth with these, and the upper-mid vocal boost will need to be EQ'd, but they will do in a pinch.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

As vibes and gdm said.................an SM57 can be used in a pinch.............you will lose a little bit of the lower end, but it does work.

IMO, with a good sound guy, any cheap bass mic can be sufficient

Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    The Audix D6 is the bass drum mic for me and is not that expensive new -$199. If you cannot find a used one, just use an SM57 or SM58. You will not get the depth with these, and the upper-mid vocal boost will need to be EQ'd, but they will do in a pinch.

GeeDeeEmm
    Hey J! I agree with GeeDeeEmm and use the same mic. Here's why I chose the D6. I cut and pasted an excerpt from an article writtten by Mike Synder of Drum Magazine who can explain it better than me. He states why the D6 is so popular with drummers today. It appears the Audix engineers "notched out" 9k-20k in the mic which ironically is where most recording engineers add to the mix to get the beater in the studio.

Here's where the debate starts. If you ask some audio "purist", they would want control over that range of frequency rather than have a pre-set or "notched" mic so it boils down to personal taste. I like using the D6 because I can hear the beater much better than a Beta 52 but "old school" engineers will argue against any "notch out" or pre-eq'd mic from the factory.

Choosing Drum Mikes For Live Performance

By Mike Snyder

"Let’s look at the frequency-curve charts of three popular dynamic kick mikes: The Audix D6, Shure Beta 52A, and AKG D 112 (Figs. 5—7). Although they peak at slightly different frequencies, all three mikes accentuate 3.5—5kHz, which brings out the beater slap against the head. However, since the D6 has the most pronounced frequency bump at a whopping 9dB, (outlined in red), coupled with the additional bump well above 10kHz, it offers the most beater slap of the three mikes. This is an important trait when trying to cut through a wall of guitar sound."

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I'm looking at 200-250USD new...for basically one gig that will pay 40 for me (our best paid gig yet). I'm not financially strapped, and I don't mind having to take taxis, but this one kinda burns me because that's the price of a new cymbal here, and it's yet another piece of equipment I have to buy, then I always hear from the singer and bassist they are hard up for cash...

I joined DC for drum advice, I stay for the free therapy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm looking at 200-250USD new...for basically one gig that will pay 40 for me (our best paid gig yet). I'm not financially strapped, and I don't mind having to take taxis, but this one kinda burns me because that's the price of a new cymbal here, and it's yet another piece of equipment I have to buy, then I always hear from the singer and bassist they are hard up for cash...

I joined DC for drum advice, I stay for the free therapy!
    Can you borrow one, or even rent one for the night?

User Info Menu

Looking into borrowing one, the market here simply isn't big enough for instrument rentals, plus, a combo of being in a small country with a communist- know a guy who knows a guy who has what you need- mentality means unfortunately no...

User Info Menu

There's not a damn thing in the world an SM57 can't do reasonably well.

User Info Menu

So the price on the SM57 is about what some dedicated BD mics go for. Obviously, the 57 can be used for other instruments, but is not as good for the BD.

So in that range, dedicated BD mics are:

MXL A55 Kicker
    AKG Perception Live P2

any opinions?

User Info Menu

So in that range, dedicated BD mics are:

MXL A55 Kicker

any opinions?
    I don't have much on the MXL kicker mic but my friend who records in his home studio uses a large condenser entry level MXL on the hihats and the results are rather surprising. We had a 57 on the hats on previous recordings but favor the MXL mic over the 57.

User Info Menu

In this case, one gig that pays $40, I would use whatever mic you can find. Experiment with the mic placement. If you have a front port, move it around in the drum. You can also try placing it on the floor by the beater on the batter side. Adjust the EQ until you get something acceptable and call it good. If you plan on mic'ing the bass on a regular basis, then that's different. If the other guys complain about the sound of the bass, then I would remind them that compared to vocals and guitars, the bass drum sound (as long as it can be heard) is only a small piece of the puzzle. I've never listened to a live band and though "that bass drum sounds a bit shallow". However, if the mix is bad on vocals or the guitars sound like crap, it ruins the show. I used a Sure 57 on our last gig. I placed it on the floor by the kick pedal (batter side) and it picked up the hats, snare and toms as well. It was a bit shallow on bass in my opinion, but honestly, no one else but me noticed. I got compliments all night on how good my drums sounded.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If you're going to spend money on a mic, don't get a cheap one just for one gig. A 57 can be used for a number of things. I have seen them used on bass drums. Batter side placement could work. Inside a porthole, pointed at the beater. It never has the same bottom as a d6, 52, or 112, but you can still get some punch. If the room is small enough that you are only mic'ing the kick, it should be plenty. Plus, you can use it for many other applications.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

What’s the venue like? Is it a more chilled out sorta gig? Reason I ask is could you get away without using a kick mic? If not, then yeah all above suggestions are viable to a degree. I’ve got a cheap JTS kick mic I snagged off Gumtree with a couple other mics for next to nothing...
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Most gigs we've played with a mic'd BD the place has provided it, not entirely sure how necessary it will be for this gig (it's outside). Got one next month where prevously the mic'd the whole kit like they were recording, but the sound guy had my high tom louder than the rest of the kit (czechs suck as soundmen, and these guys seemed more like kids with toys), in a small club where it was completely unnecessary.

I think based on what you've all said I'll go with the SM 57 and pitch it to the band that it is a mic we can use for any instrument (one guitarist will always need his amp mic'd) and therefore we should all chip in. I doubt the last part will go over well, but the gig will pay for the mic at least...

User Info Menu

I Would say take a look on CL and see if you can find a deal on a used mic. Another option not mentioned yet, would be to build a sub kick. I did this recently for the sake of recording and it has really helped and was cheap and easy to do. If you decide to go that route all you need is a 6" - 12" woofer and an xlr cable. Housing it inside a drum shell will look nicer but isn't necessary.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

thanks CK but check my location, no CL here.

Secondly, check my kit, i'm not putting anything inside a drum of that caliber, and the heads are probably older than I am!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

My mistake . I suppose I should have noticed your location. The sub kick doesn't go inside your drums. It goes outside the bass drum. People that build them often house them in a small drum. Do an image search for Yamaha subkick to see what I mean.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

BE CAREFUL when buying mics, ESPECIALLY SM57's on Craigslist. There's a huge black market for counterfits and they are rampant. I myself even ran into a seller that was selling a whole box of them. They were ALL fake...and when I comfronted him with it... he got VERY nervous and then claimed he was only selling them for a friend. (although he was the one posting the ad, taking the calls, and setting the meeting areas, and taking the money.)

There's a really good article describing the problemand how to tell the difference.
    http://homerecording.about.com/od/mi...Shure_Mics.htm

If the link isn't allowed......(and removed). Google "How to Spot a Fake Shure Microphone"
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I'm looking at 200-250USD new...for basically one gig that will pay 40 for me (our best paid gig yet). I'm not financially strapped, and I don't mind having to take taxis, but this one kinda burns me because that's the price of a new cymbal here, and it's yet another piece of equipment I have to buy
    I wouldn't buy a special microphone at this time. I'd try some regular microphones first. Ask friends for a microphone if you don't have one.

Your electronic drums might be a good choice for this gig. You don't need a microphone for electronic drums.

User Info Menu

Awesome point 8Beat.

There's a store near me that sells used mics, if I find something there for less than USD50 I'll take it, if not, well let's see what the band says to hybrid kit, but spending 3x more for a mic than the gig pays is a bit crazy...

Funny thing about fake Shure's, on the Czech used music equipment site, this guy is selling one (the title says it's fake and he explains a bit how it's different).