Thread: Aquarian Review & Surprise

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Review & Surprise

I put the new Aquarian Super 2 Studio X heads on my toms Friday night (plus a new Aquarian 2 snare head) and played on them all weekend.

Notes :
    These heads fit tighter than Remo or Evans. Gretsch USA shells are notorious for being slightly larger than others and these heads make that difference exaggerated.
    Slightly more work, but I got the new heads on the toms OK.
    I had an old 1964 Slingy snare drum wrapped 2 years ago and the added circumference would not allow the new Aquarian head to be applied..........so I had to put it on another snare drum.

Results:
    I don't think I gained anything; the new (tom) heads sound good, but not better than the Remo Emps. In fact, my first impression is that I can't tune the Super 2 heads as low as I can the Emps.
    In addition, IMHO, the Studio X ring does not provide what I had hoped for.
    In sum..............the Super 2 Studio X are nice heads, but not worth the added expense ($2.50 more over Emps for each size).
    I'll go ahead and use them until they need to be replaced but, unless I change my assessment, the Emps will return.

Surprise:
    The Aquarian Super 2 coated snare head is great............improved feel and improved sound.
    The Super 2 is a two-ply head (5 over 7) and I really like the feel/response............slightly livelier than the (7 over 7) coated Emp.......and the coating feels better too (my imagination ?).

So if I had to buy all new heads today, my preference would be as follows:
    I would use Aquarian on the bass and snare (SK10 & Super 2 coated) and stick with the (tried and true) clear Emps over clear Ambos on the toms.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 09-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Review & Surprise

Thanks, are they clears or coated?

I have a Studio X coated which is a 1 ply 10mil head with a muffle ring around the edge on my Beech snare and it sounds fantastic.

I am actually thinking of trying the studio x clear on my sonor for the next head change, currently running coat. amb over clear amb and they sound great but just want to try someting different. maybe : )

FYI, When I traded for a Ludwig Keystone kit they had the aquarian modern vintage series 2 heads on them which were yellow in color and wow they were the worst sounding heads I have ever heard.
    Last edited by MDK; 09-08-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Surprise:
    The Aquarian Super 2 coated snare head is great............improved feel and improved sound.
    The Super 2 is a two-ply head (5 over 7) and I really like the feel/response............slightly livelier than the (7 over 7) coated Emp.......and the coating feels better too (my imagination ?).
    That's the same conclusion I walked away with too. The Super 2 coated heads look brand new after playing them for several gigs. In my opinion, the weakest point on any drum head is where both ends of the flesh hoop join together (typical breaking point). A huge plus for Aquarian; they use a small tack weld at the flesh hoop seam:

Last edited by late8; 09-08-2015 at 10:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Seeing this makes me even more glad I chose them for my last head change, and will likely use them again(unless I go with Attacks). Although I do wonder, could that weld be the reason that these heads fit a bit tighter against the shell? Like maybe it gives less room between collar and bearing edge to have something rugged sticking off of it?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That was my biggest issue with the Super-2's. They just didn't seem to have much tuning range. It could be due (in part) to the tight fit on the diameter. Mine fit tight as well....but that was probably due to out-of-round shells. If the head does not sit flat and even on the bearing edge, it will require more over-all tension until the entire head gets tight and it starts to sound like a drum. On the opposite end, I could not tune them very high either. They really started to sound "choked". I'm hoping they'll work better on my new PDP shells. No more than I play (4hrs per week), it will be a long time before they need replaced.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks, are they clears or coated?
    The snare head is coated and the tom heads are clear.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)