Thread: Drummers Health

User Info Menu

Default Drummers Health

I'm wondering if anyone has access to some professionals who might help us all by addressing health issues related to the drummer. Wrist injuries, knees, ankles, back etc. etc. Many people who have health issues just 'give up' playing their instruments, when all they would have to do is get 'rehab'. Similar to the way any person playing sports might have to. Also, whether we want to admit it or not, we are all going to see and feel the affects of age.

I myself am improving from my second total knee replacement, which Docs say may need replaced AGAIN! Will I stop playing? Only after they pry my sticks from my cold dead hands!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers Health

Welcome to the board Drwinston, you need to post more. I know for me it would take alot for me to have to give up playing.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Most orthopedists deal with drummers' hand, wrist, finger, feet, and knee issues, as do many physical therapists. What they don't do is tell how to avoid issues or what actually causes a lot of the problems. They usually say", just stop doing what you're doing."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

After my calf injury, I'm into stretching my limbs. But what concerns me now is Diabetes
    I've been drinking too many soft drinks and over a period of time I can tell that I'm not right. My vision is getting bad. I feel kind of drunk, numbness in my hand when I wake up,dry mouth, Oh yeah I recently loss like 20 pounds which isn't a bad thing. mostly water weight. But it really has me concerned.

A while back I had to go to the emergency room over severe nerves pains in my arm and chest. That's when I found out my blood sugar level was thru the roof. I'm trying to learn more about what sort of diet I should be on. But yeah it can really sneak up on you.
    Last edited by wired; 09-26-2015 at 11:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Yoga....one day I'll take my own advise...that and the musician doctor, who told me to do yoga, and that he should take his own advise too....

User Info Menu

Wired...yikes man you gotta get that diabetes under control! you may need to go on a serious health kick...now! Good luck to you, you can do it...

User Info Menu

I have a multitude of "Injuries" through playing squash since I was 10 & the drums from 12. Mainly my back & knees. I use Ibroprufen gel & pain killers. Have to just live with it when I play

User Info Menu

I been having back pain lately

User Info Menu

What would we do without Ibroprufen? Just shoot me in the head and get it over with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    A while back I had to go to the emergency room over severe nerves pains in my arm and chest. That's when I found out my blood sugar level was thru the roof. I'm trying to learn more about what sort of diet I should be on.
    My doctor will not refresh any prescriptions until I get my annual physical.
    EKG, Xray, urine & blood work, treadmill test...........every September.
    If you follow this routine, that stuff will not sneak up on you.
    Highly recommended....................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Wired, diabete is nothing to play with. My dad went for years undiagnosed, he was a machinist working with hazardous material , knew there was a problem and went through all sorts of tests. The dr missed the diabetes first time and was several years before they tried again and found it. By that time my dad almost had to have his feet amputated and, eventually it led to a blood clot breaking lose and causing a brain aneurism that killed him. My advise is take action now!

User Info Menu

I know a drummer that had two knee surgeries. He's still playing. He doesn't play crazy fast though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Railroadin_saylor View Post
    Wired, diabete is nothing to play with. My dad went for years undiagnosed, he was a machinist working with hazardous material , knew there was a problem and went through all sorts of tests. The dr missed the diabetes first time and was several years before they tried again and found it. By that time my dad almost had to have his feet amputated and, eventually it led to a blood clot breaking lose and causing a brain aneurism that killed him. My advise is take action now!
    Yeah it's just stupid of me to have let get this bad. I was a Dr Pepper fiend for years now I'm doing tea with sweet and low and Coke zero and a lot of water. I'm trying to pretty much eliminate sugar out of my diet. But from what I understand anything like potatoes which have a lot of starch will turn into sugars as well. Also a lot of juices have a lot of sugars as well. So education and discipline will be the key to overcoming this.

This was totally preventable But I'm doing better. My vision is still a bit blurry but it's like reading small print mostly.

User Info Menu

Wheat also spikes your sugar. Go glutten free and you will see a big difference. Also glutten/bread/wheat cause inflammation of joints etc.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-29-2015 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

At my age 55, I'm suffering a lot of joint pain now when I play. So much that I haven't touched my kit in weeks. Forty years playing and 35 years as a professional painter I've got some wear a tear on the knees , elbows, shoulders, wrists and so on. Haven't sold the kit yet, but I'm thinking about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    At my age 55, I'm suffering a lot of joint pain now when I play. So much that I haven't touched my kit in weeks. Forty years playing and 35 years as a professional painter I've got some wear a tear on the knees , elbows, shoulders, wrists and so on. Haven't sold the kit yet, but I'm thinking about it.
    This may not be possible but..................

Sell the paint brush and the ladder; keep the kit.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I was a bricklayer for 30 +years and never had or have any issues with back problems, knees, elbows or shoulders. NPYYZ I think it may have something to do with the exposure you had with the paints. Some paints are very toxic and can do a lot of damage to the system. I have known a few painters and seen the damage done from years of inhaling paints etc. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Not an option. Pain is in the joints but drumming is in the "blood"

all the best...