Thread: Tama Imperialstar or Pearl Roadshow.

User Info Menu

Default Tama Imperialstar or Pearl Roadshow.

So, I haven't been behind a kit in years and I'm looking to drop some coin on an entry-level kit. "I must unlearn what I've learned." It's down to these two kits. I'm just having a hell of a time deciding. Both are great options, shiny too!.

My first kit was a heaping pile of S**T. 5-piece CMC with an 18" Meinl crash and 14" hi-hat. Brass. The heads were beat past submission. I'm cringing as I write this. Er, enough of that.

I would appreciate constructive feedback on these two kits. I may be doing some gigging with it so durability is a concern. As for the Meinls that come with the Tama..full circle.

Kind Regards,
    New Guy.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Imperialstar or Pearl Roadshow.

Welcome to Drum Chat, Syclone.

I own both Pearl and TAMA and think both kits have merit.

In the lower price ranges, I'd go for the TAMA. I think the quality of the hardware set it apart from other brands. Just my opinion, as you will get many opinions from other members before the day is over.

If you have a chance to try out either kit, look at the way the toms mount to the tom arms. Most people don't like the lower end Pearl tom mounts.

Keep in mind most kits are shell packs only. You will need to also acquire additional hardware and cymbals to complete the kit. If everything is included in the kit, I would advise against that as you normally will get crappy cymbals with an "all in one" setup.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat, Syclone.

I own both Pearl and TAMA and think both kits have merit.

In the lower price ranges, I'd go for the TAMA. I think the quality of the hardware set it apart from other brands. Just my opinion, as you will get many opinions from other members before the day is over.

If you have a chance to try out either kit, look at the way the toms mount to the tom arms. Most people don't like the lower end Pearl tom mounts.

Keep in mind most kits are shell packs only. You will need to also acquire additional hardware and cymbals to complete the kit. If everything is included in the kit, I would advise against that as you normally will get crappy cymbals with an "all in one" setup.

Many thanks for your input. I plan on upgrading either kit once I get it. (cymbals and heads.)

User Info Menu

I have the Imperialstars and I love them. The tom mounts are exactly what I was looking for, compared to other kits in the price range.

The hardware is pretty solid overall. I have yet to run into an issue that is common with cheap hardware. Hell, I'm still using the stock Tama heads. I can get a decent sound out of them, but I just wanted to wear them out before replacing them.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vhyle View Post
    I have the Imperialstars and I love them. The tom mounts are exactly what I was looking for, compared to other kits in the price range.

The hardware is pretty solid overall. I have yet to run into an issue that is common with cheap hardware. Hell, I'm still using the stock Tama heads. I can get a decent sound out of them, but I just wanted to wear them out before replacing them.
    Thank you. I have heard good things about Tama hardware.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.

User Info Menu

Tama makes great hardware, and the Imperialstar line is a lot better than most entry-level kits. I'd definitely pick that one. BTW, while Meinl's brass cymbals sound absolutely awful, they do make amazing pro-level models too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Tama makes great hardware, and the Imperialstar line is a lot better than most entry-level kits. I'd definitely pick that one. BTW, while Meinl's brass cymbals sound absolutely awful, they do make amazing pro-level models too!
    Thank you. I would hope Meinl got better on the way up.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.