Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing used gear

User Info Menu

Default Comparing used gear

Hello guys!

I'm looking for a second kit that will only be used for gigs. The second hand market being tiny in Belgium I haven't found many options.

Currently I found this :
    - A Tama Silverstar Sky Blue Sparkle almost new with hardware for 650 euros.
    - A Gretsch Catalina Mapple in very good condition, two floor toms, two splashes, a HH and maybe the hardware (I don't know yet for sure but it's possible) for 550 euros.
    - A Mapex Armory almost new without hardware for 550 euros.
    - A Gretsch Renown Mapple fusion in deep black finish, 12 years old without hardware (I think) for 700 euros.

I have a hard time comparing these offers and don't have the possibility to try all of them. Which one seems the best offer according to you guys?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Comparing used gear

hi,

So I assume your budget is cc 700EU, so my first question is: how often do you gig and what type of gigs (nice ones in hotels or student clubs)? In other words, will the sound quality matter to you only because most of hte drum sound won't be heard, or will better drums pay off?

I would also consider looking at other countries like France and Holland (you should speak on of those languages at least), I've been checking German eBay cause the used market here isn't so great. Are you in a real hurry to buy a kit or can it wait? Do you want a second set of hardware or not entirely necessary?

User Info Menu

Hello and thank you for your answer! :-)

My budget is maximum 1000 euros but I also have to buy hard cases to transport the kit. The lowest price I could find for hard cases is 320 euros. So yes my budget for the kit is around 700 euros.

I haven't gig yet but I already have two concerts planned for October : one is going to be in a bar (a big one), the other at a private party in a huge house. So I need to buy this week-end or next week-end. I also need the second set of hardware.
    With my band we play alternative rock (from quiet to very loud) but I also play a lot of jazz and latin music. I'm not sure about the sound quality I need with this in mind.

I speak french (mother language), dutch, english and italian. I've already search the french market but the good offers are really too far from Brussels unfortunately.

User Info Menu

I've just received the answer from the owner : the Gretsch Catalina Mapple offer includes the hardware (Gilbratar).

User Info Menu

I don't really know that kit, but it seems like a pretty good deal, RE a second set of hardware, always good to have, at least HH stand and snare if you have two kits, the rest is up to you.

The splashes I would probably sell unless you really like them, maybe it will buy you a used seat as well. Personally speaking, I would never buy a drum or cymbal without hearing it in person first, but I get that you don't want to spend every weekend trying out drums

Why not use your other kit for gigs? Just wondering, I'm sure oyu have a good reason

User Info Menu

Some people like the Catalina Mapple others don't. It seems that there is no concensus over it's overall built and quality which scares me a bit for the long term.

My first kit is a new Gretsch Renown mapple. I love it too much for taking any chances with it. Besides, it would be a pain in the *** to move this kit all the time if I begin to gig regularly because I play every single day. I prefer to have a cheaper second kit always ready in his hard cases.

User Info Menu

I fully get you, I have an ekit and the gig kit sits in bags, when I gig I use some of the hardware from the ekit, but i have two snare stands cause it's a pain to set it back up again!

User Info Menu

If you want a good recording kit, the Armory would be my choice.
    If you want most for the money, i'd go with the Catalina maples.
    If you want the best all around but plan to get cymbals later, Renown.

One thing I want to point out about used market is that while it's tough on sellers, it's a gold mine for buyers. You have a chance to get in on quality you normally would not be able to afford in retail a lot of the time. You never really know what you'll find, there's always a deal to be had. And used doesn't mean lower quality in every instance, it just means it changed hands for one reason or another. A lot of times the kits i've seen in major shops clearance areas are generally middle condition hard to find stuff that would have been a real pain to track down, so it's worth considering to go used vs new anyway, if you're looking to get a kit. It's a really underrated aspect of music gear, there's all this aggressive pushing to get everything new, latest and greatest, get this feature or that one - sometimes retail has the worse offer sometimes it's better, but it should never be the first or only place you look.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-16-2015 at 06:18 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hi Russ and thank you for answering!

I agree with you about the second hand market and it's value BUT it's a much much easier if you live in a big country and not a tiny one like Belgium. lol!

User Info Menu

If I already had a Renown kit, I would probably go with the wrapped Tama shells for gigging.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    If I already had a Renown kit, I would probably go with the wrapped Tama shells for gigging.
    Interesting. Can I ask you why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    Hi Russ and thank you for answering!

I agree with you about the second hand market and it's value BUT it's a much much easier if you live in a big country and not a tiny one like Belgium. lol!
    I'm only basing my response on what you listed, I assume all are potential options for you at this point.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The only one of these kits I have had a lot of experience with is the Silverstar, and that kit is awesome. You can make them sound as good as any pro birch kit with some nice heads and tuning. The shells are 100% birch, so they have a punchy sound. You can tune them super low or higher up for jazz or Latin styles and they sound good either way. I bought one used (shells and drum hardware, like new) for $400 US. I don't know what the hardware is or what these sell for new where you are but if it's a good deal, I know these will sound good.

I've never played the Catalina, but know lots of people who use them as gig kits here and most complain that the toms go out of tune much easier than most other kits regardless of price point. I imagine some TightScrews could fix this, but then you are spending more money. Depending on what the cymbals are this could still be a great deal if you want them or if they are worth some money to resell.

I've heard some great things about the Mapex kit but don't have a lot of personal experience with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    The only one of these kits I have had a lot of experience with is the Silverstar, and that kit is awesome. You can make them sound as good as any pro birch kit with some nice heads and tuning. The shells are 100% birch, so they have a punchy sound. You can tune them super low or higher up for jazz or Latin styles and they sound good either way. I bought one used (shells and drum hardware, like new) for $400 US. I don't know what the hardware is or what these sell for new where you are but if it's a good deal, I know these will sound good.
    This.

Plus, the Silverstars are a wrap and not a lacquer finish. They can stand up to a lot of abuse before showing any wear and tear. It would "buy" you time without having to have cases right away. For transport consideration, the cases are only going to help if you load all the band gear into a trailer or other mass hauling device that you share with the other band members and all of their gear. If you take your own gear in your own vehicle the likelihood of damage is minimal.
    Last edited by Bish; 09-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Plus, if it's just local gigging and there isn't a ton of band equipment piled into a tiny space, high quality soft bags may work fine. Those are much cheaper than hard cases.

User Info Menu

Thank you guys! :-) This has been very helpful for me! I think I'll try to get the silverstar deal.

User Info Menu

As was mentioned...Soft Cases....If you are the one loading and unloading, the soft cases will keep your drums "protected" from accidental mishaps that would "scratch" them otherwise. Ive used soft cases since 1992 and I love em. If you have Roadies who are loading and unloading everyones gear...then Hard Cases might be the way to go.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    As was mentioned...Soft Cases....If you are the one loading and unloading, the soft cases will keep your drums "protected" from accidental mishaps that would "scratch" them otherwise. Ive used soft cases since 1992 and I love em. If you have Roadies who are loading and unloading everyones gear...then Hard Cases might be the way to go.
    I'll plan loading everything up myself but it's probably going to be in cars or vans with other music material (amps, guitars, etc.). Are soft cases not a risk then?

User Info Menu

I use soft cases to gig with all the time. I usually load my drums myself, and they always go in the back of the truck, with nothing stacked or leaning on them. Last on, first off. The other guys all know to treat them with "kid gloves".....just like their guitars in soft cases. The worst potential for damage, in my opinion, is dropping them or knocking them against doorways. Especially if you sling them over your shoulder by the strap. I make everyone carry them in front of them, holding on with both hands. Hard cases are ideal, but soft cases work fine for gigging. You just need to pay attention and be cautious.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I also recommend the Tama Silverstars. Tama is well known and liked for their hardware. The hardware on the Silverstar set is much better than the hardware of other sets in that price point. I've been playing my Silverstars for 4 years now. They are by far my favorite kit.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I'm trying to get the price of the Silverstar + hardware down to 600 euros ($679 approximately) and I'll look for soft cases. With some luck I could cut my budget to 750 euros for everything ($849). I'll let you guys know. :-)

User Info Menu

I'd probably want the Silverstars. I've seen pics of that finish and it's a beauty. Most of everything I've ever played has been Tama. Have always liked their hardware too
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ok I'm down to two possibilities.

This for 600 euros :

Or this for 550 euros :

[removed. please do not post commercial links. Thx, Tom]

Both with hardware (Tama for the Silvestar, Gibraltar for the Catalina). The Silverstar is almost new (the original skins seem untouched), the Calina is older but seems in good condition.

Ugh! I'm really bad when it comes to make this kind of decision so any imput is welcome! lol! :-)

I'll like to buy an 18" bass drum in the near future to transform it into a jazz kit from time to time but I'm not sure it's possible for the Catalina. I also have doubt about this for the Silverstar as I can't find this color (sky blue sparkle) on their website anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TerryV81 View Post
    Ok I'm down to two possibilities.

This for 600 euros :

Or this for 550 euros :

Both with hardware (Tama for the Silvestar, Gibraltar for the Catalina). The Silverstar is almost new (the original skins seem untouched), the Calina is older but seems in good condition.

Ugh! I'm really bad when it comes to make this kind of decision so any imput is welcome! lol! :-)

I'll like to buy an 18" bass drum in the near future to transform it into a jazz kit from time to time but I'm not sure it's possible for the Catalina. I also have doubt about this for the Silverstar as I can't find this color (sky blue sparkle) on their website anymore.
    You are probably going to hate me for this but here is the kit you want down to the size of the bass drum.

I will say this about my Silverstars. The way I have them tuned right now they sound better than my Pearl Masters and my TAMA B/B Starclassics. Factory heads none the less...

I got mine for $400 USD brand new.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Looks great and I definetely like to read this kind of thing! ;-)