Thread: Yamaha Recording Custom Floor tom wing bolts

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Recording Custom Floor tom wing bolts

My recently purchased Recording Custom has short drum key type of bolts that secure the floor tom legs. This annoys me. I would prefer some wing bolts if poss. Are these available? I have done a search but am drawing a blank.

Anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Recording Custom Floor tom wing bolts

If I remember correctly the threads are same as the Yamaha wing nuts that hold the tom brackets and etc. I'll check at work tonight see if I can find a part number.

I don't remember seeing a kit with drum key leg bits

User Info Menu

Seems odd to me but that is how they came

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Seems odd to me but that is how they came
    Well assuming your model number is FT-916Y (Using the kick drum badge reference which is BD-922Y) Here is a pic from Yamaha's parts web site...

[IMG]LGD-304-400 by - RC794B -, on Flickr[/IMG]

If so then that's how they come?

Here's a link to their parts database FT916Y page.

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/htm...el_code=FT916Y

A dealer can order from this site, you cannot. Hope this helps. There is another site but I believe only U.S.A. customers can order parts direct and you have to create an account to access it.

Here's a link to Yamaha's parts ordering page for Yamaha US. I was unable to find a UK equivalent web page.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...msets/806/8157

Hope this helps!
    Brad
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-16-2015 at 08:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    If I remember correctly the threads are same as the Yamaha wing nuts that hold the tom brackets and etc. I'll check at work tonight see if I can find a part number.

I don't remember seeing a kit with drum key leg bits
    I don't either but...

Try taking the unused wing bolt from your triple clamp tom mount and try it? I just pulled one out of my kit and the diameter is pretty big.

Might be too big but worth a look. They are readily available if it works.

User Info Menu

They are different. Looks smaller for sure.

User Info Menu

i have just grown used to it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RC794B View Post
    Well assuming your model number is FT-916Y (Using the kick drum badge reference which is BD-922Y) Here is a pic from Yamaha's parts web site...

[IMG]LGD-304-400 by - RC794B -, on Flickr[/IMG]

If so then that's how they come?

Here's a link to their parts database FT916Y page.

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/htm...el_code=FT916Y

A dealer can order from this site, you cannot. Hope this helps. There is another site but I believe only U.S.A. customers can order parts direct and you have to create an account to access it.

Here's a link to Yamaha's parts ordering page for Yamaha US. I was unable to find a UK equivalent web page.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...msets/806/8157

Hope this helps!
    Brad

Hi Brad. Yep, that's it. Orrid thing. I will have a look at the links & see what I can source. Think the thread size is M6?

User Info Menu

Hi Brad. Yep, that's it. Orrid thing. I will have a look at the links & see what I can source. Think the thread size is M6?
    Well a trip to the hardware store might be in order!
    Pull one out take it with you and I'll bet you could find some stainless steel wing bolts that will work. I doubt you will find chrome but stainless would work!

Only you will know there not original...(well except us, but we'll never tell!)

User Info Menu

i don't like that feature either. i'm always adjusting my floor toms legs just because it's so convenient with the wingnut. They always look uneven side by side.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've scoured the web, mostly Yamaha related, to find replacement wing nuts for my Yamaha FT but...nothing. Hardware store says the nuts are metric, but i can't find any
    manufacturers making compatible, short, metric wing nuts. Yamaha doesn't offer replacements that I can find either.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I've scoured the web, mostly Yamaha related, to find replacement wing nuts for my Yamaha FT but...nothing. Hardware store says the nuts are metric, but i can't find any
    manufacturers making compatible, short, metric wing nuts. Yamaha doesn't offer replacements that I can find either.
    Ok, Thank you for that. I will have to leave them as is.

Went to my local drum shop today (Nottingham Drum Centre) & bought some leg memory locks as they don't come with the kit either!!

User Info Menu

Ok, Thank you for that. I will have to leave them as is.

Not so fast on the giving up folks!

One of the cool things about Yamaha system hardware is that many similar parts are used across many hardware assemblies.
    If you look at the parts description for your tom leg bolt you would see that it is an M8 not M6.

U0623080 - DRUM KEY BOLT M8X12 FP910/MTAT

Below is a wing bolt used in 4 different cymbal stands. It is also an M8 bolt and is only 3mm longer and might work fine?

U0123310 - WING BOLT M8X15 SS-730/735/830/835 (PWB-8)

I found that wing bolt on the first web link of Yamaha's parts site I posted above. You could search for one of the cymbal stands listed.

SS-730/735/830/835, That wing bolt is used in a few other stands also which are the low and mid level hardware stands and use smaller bolts than the heavy duty stuff.

The price for them is $4.16 each. The part number is listed above(u0123310). Your local Yamaha drum dealer should be able to get them for you if you want to try.

Brad

Edit: SEE SCORCH's POST BELOW! V
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-19-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: SEE SCORCH's POST BELOW! V

User Info Menu

Yamaha does make wing bolts for these tom leg brackets...my PHX has the same Yess floor tom brackets and it comes with the Yamaha wing nut screws... I believe Yamaha started using the lug nut bolts (that required a tuning key) on the earlier (1st gen - mid90's - 2003) absolute series (and other series kits [i.e., RC's, MC's]) .... They changed this around the time they came out with the 2nd gen. Abs. Series (2003-2008), if I'm not mistaken...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-19-2015 at 08:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Slinglander, I don't know what model FT you have but your statement got me to looking and the type of mount my FT's use is discontinued so I tried wingnuts from my Yamaha cymbal stands and they all will fit and work good. They are not as large and beefy as the originals but the thread pattern is the same and they work! The wing nuts I tried came from 32 year old stand parts I have as well as brand new current production CH 755/750 cymbal boom arms. They all work well!

Just for FYI purposes.
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-19-2015 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Yamaha does make wing bolts for these tom leg brackets...my PHX has the same Yess floor tom brackets and it comes with the Yamaha wing nut screws... I believe Yamaha started using the lug nut bolts (that required a tuning key) on the earlier (1st gen - mid90's - 2003) absolute series (and other series kits [i.e., RC's, MC's]) .... They changed this around the time they came out with the 2nd gen. Abs. Series (2003-2008), if I'm not mistaken...
    Scorch is right! (of course) PHX drums and all the newer Absolute series use the same wing bolt.

I looked them up and they are the same part # I listed above:

U0123310 WING BOLT M8X15 SS-730/735/830/835

There ya have it! In common use and should be readily available...

Brad
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-19-2015 at 08:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, RC, I'll have to contact a Yamaha dealer!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thanks, RC, I'll have to contact a Yamaha dealer!
    My pleasure. gotta help the brothers in arms if ya can!

Check out his page to determine which type of mount your floor tom uses:

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/htm...el_code=FT-LEG

You should be able to tell which part you need including the correct part#.

Here's a part # for you for a cymbal stand top type wing nut that worked on my kit. I have the first type of mount on the web page I listed above.

U0123531 YAMAHA NUT M8 (S) CHN

It is the standard 8mm Yamaha wing nut used on most all their stand tops, cymbal holders etc...that are used to hold your cymbal on.

Again I don't know what floor tom model you have but these worked on my old Recording Customs/9000RA floor toms which have an EYE bolt providing tension on the leg with the threaded end of the bolt sticking out the side of the mount.

I think just about any Asian drum makers ie; Yamaha,Tama or Pearl, wing nuts would probably work as I think they all use 8mm nuts on most of their cymbal stands.

Hope this helps!
    Brad
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-20-2015 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quick look on the Yamaha parts site & I come up with 123350 for the FT with YESS which mine has. Hopefully this is correct. Now, where to get the bloody things from??

User Info Menu

Quick look on the Yamaha parts site & I come up with 123350 for the FT with YESS which mine has. Hopefully this is correct. Now, where to get the bloody things from??

Be aware that U0123350 you listed is a WING NUT not a wing bolt!

Take a close look at this page:

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/htm...el_code=FT-LEG

It shows floor tom leg assemblies. As you can see there are 2 different types of YESS floor tom mounts. The upper type uses the part# you referenced. You have the lower one correct? The mount Scorch refers to is not shown here .

This page shows what Scorch refered to on his PHX kit. This is what you want. In the diagram it is part 7-1

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/htm...ode=PHXF1615AG

Part # U0123310 WING BOLT M8X15 is the one...

A drum shop or music store that is a Yamaha dealer should be able to order them for you. The Yamaha parts web site I have been linking IS the dealer site.
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-20-2015 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Good catch RC....regarding ordering these parts, I have ordered directly from Yamaha in the past ....ordered a new 22" hoop for Apple sparkle fade MCA a couple years ago..had no problems ordering directly from Yamaha ...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Good catch RC....regarding ordering these parts, I have ordered directly from Yamaha in the past ....ordered a new 22" hoop for Apple sparkle fade MCA a couple years ago..had no problems ordering directly from Yamaha ...:-)
    Just want the man to get the right stuff!

I have also had good experiences with Yamaha parts ordering and was able to rebuild some old hardware I had written off when I was getting my old 1983 RC/9000RA kit back up and running by using these reference pages. You DO have to cross reference a bit as some of the diagrams are outdated and incomplete. With a little care you can find what your looking for. I do believe though that direct ordering by customers is only available in the USA. I hope i'm wrong here...
    Last edited by RC794B; 09-20-2015 at 12:52 PM.