Thread: Choice between Mark Drums, Kat kt3, or Alesis dm10x

User Info Menu

Default Choice between Mark Drums, Kat kt3, or Alesis dm10x

I am going to buy a kit, and have narrowed the field down to these 3 kits.

I really like the sound of the mark drums kit, I havent heard it in real time yet, but the clips online seem to be really great. My apprehension about it is that this kit cant import other sounds into its module. But can it be used to trigger external libraries such as ezdrummer?

I also like the look of the alesis kit, but dont know anything much about them. The kat kt3 looks like a good investment but not for live performances, it sounds a little less full bodied than the other 2 kits. Also I would like to know if there is any wear and tear issues with the kits, such as malfunctioning pedals, triggers or cosmetic issues.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Choice between Mark Drums, Kat kt3, or Alesis dm10x

sub'd
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Hi Jack, what does sub'd mean?

User Info Menu

Hi,

I've just done some quick research, and it seems your budget is 1,000USD. I would highly recommend the Yamaha DTX 522.

Firstly, the module is very easy to use and the sound is really great. Second, and most importantly, as far as I know, only Yamaha and Roland have programs inside the module which measure your accuracy and give instant feedback on your playing. Needless to say, this is the most useful training for device for drummers. I remember reading a Kat manual, and while it had a similar function, it wasn't at all at the level Yamaha or Roland offers. Not sure if you can input sounds on the 502 module, but i think every Ekit lets you output via midi...

As far as doing gigs with them...well as much as I love ekits, even the best ones are rather garbage when it comes to cymbals vis-a-vis the real thing. Your band mates might not want you playing live with them as well. I have done gigs with them, and might do so again (but in this case, our band is basically background music for drunk tourists), and with rubber pads you just need to wrap them in a blanket and make sure they don't go flying around whatever bag in which you have them. With mesh heads...I would probably buy soft cases for their size and then double or triple them up per bag by stacking them and have a piece of cardboard between each one.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andi73 View Post
    Hi Jack, what does sub'd mean?
    It means I'm subscribing to the thread. I'm interested in what is posted, but have nothing intelligent to add other than the definition of "sub'd". Sometimes, if I am in my usually lazy mood, I just put in a period.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Has anyone experience of Mark drums? I have sourced a good 2nd hand kit, and am interested in their demos on youtube, again I would prefer people who have first hand experience using the kit, but am interested to hear anyone's opinion nonetheless.