Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roto Toms

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roto Toms

^hahahaha omg your gif made me laugh so hard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I know this will offend some people... because I've seen many with them so I apologize But they are cheap, ugly and no offense lame to me lol They were a fun concept but not for me haha.
    Haha...I knew you'd turn your nose up at roto toms. No offense taken but a lot drummers still use them Zack. To each his own. To OP: If you like the sound of rotos, go for it. Drumming is all about what "floats your boat". These pros still use 'em.

Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters:

Danny Carey, Tool:

Eric Kretz, STP:

Last edited by late8; 09-22-2015 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I find that roto toms can closely approximate the sound of latin timbales. Great for kicking off reggae grooves and such without the big investment in that kind of equipment.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Haha...I knew you'd turn your nose up at roto toms. No offense taken but a lot drummers still use them Zack. To each his own. To OP: If you like the sound of rotos, go for it. Drumming is all about what "floats your boat". These pros still use 'em.

I guess for some reason I've just never been a big fan.
    They are fun and I like the concept but I just can't take them seriously lol

(I'll spill the beans I own a set)

User Info Menu

I had a 6" 8" 10" set once. They were fun but I didn't use them that much and sold them to a friend.
    BTW, go with the off-brands. They're all the same thing. Remo ones, unless you buy used, are ridiculously overpriced and don't sound any better than the knockoffs being sold for less than half the price. And resale value is about the same, because if you sell the Remo set for, say, $100, you can get a brand new set for about the same price from somewhere else. I see used sets going for $50 to $75 all the time.

User Info Menu

Here's a video of MISSING PERSONS - Live.

Terry Bozzio was using his Roto Tom kit.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I played out for a while using a kit consisting of two kick drums, snare, 6,8,10,12,14,16,18 Roto's. sounded great mic'd up.

User Info Menu

Figured it'd be better to bring this back rather than create a new thread...

Has anyone tried to mount an individual roto tom?
    I was thinking if you attached a multi clamp to the long screw below the drum then it should work fine and the drum could still be rotated.
    Anyone tried something like this?

User Info Menu

Nope. Cool idea though.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Figured it'd be better to bring this back rather than create a new thread...

Has anyone tried to mount an individual roto tom?
    I was thinking if you attached a multi clamp to the long screw below the drum then it should work fine and the drum could still be rotated.
    Anyone tried something like this?
    I mounted mine individually, I did this by cutting the track into 3" long pieces then drilling a hole through one end. This allowed me to mount them on cymbal arms. I could position them any way I wanted.

This is when I first tried it back in the 80's on my Tama kit. Notice the high mounted 14" roto. I'd bet Gibraltar makes some type of clamp that would hold them.

Last edited by NPYYZ; 11-01-2015 at 06:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Here's a video of MISSING PERSONS - Live.

Terry Bozzio was using his Roto Tom kit.

Eddie,
    You are one heck of a drummer, my friend! I enjoyed watching your clips. You know how to drive a band. Great work.

By the way, every time I hear Missing Persons, I always think "Missing Songwriters!" Great musicians, wretched songs. Watching that old video, though, gives us some idea where Miley Cyrus gets some of her costume cues, eh? Tatas wrapped in tin foil is nothing new after all!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Bill kreutzmann uses rotos,..for the solo DRUMs -SPACE. not too bad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Eddie,
    You are one heck of a drummer, my friend! I enjoyed watching your clips. You know how to drive a band. Great work.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks for the kind words.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.