Thread: Has Anyone Tried Cutting Down a Drum Shell?

User Info Menu

Default Has Anyone Tried Cutting Down a Drum Shell?

So I have a random Pearl Vision 10" tom shell with top hardware just lying around. I had been thinking of tracking down the toms from a Tama ****tail Kit or Pearl Rhythm Traveler as I need some small very shallow single-headed drums, but then I had the idea of just cutting this one. It's 10"x8" now I believe, and I'm thinking of making it 10"x4" or so. Since it will only have a top head I would assume it should be fairly easy but wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if there are any tips? Am I better off just waiting for one of these 10" Tama or Pearl toms to show up on eBay?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Has Anyone Tried Cutting Down a Drum Shell?

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    So I have a random Pearl Vision 10" tom shell with top hardware just lying around. I had been thinking of tracking down the toms from a Tama ****tail Kit or Pearl Rhythm Traveler as I need some small very shallow single-headed drums, but then I had the idea of just cutting this one. It's 10"x8" now I believe, and I'm thinking of making it 10"x4" or so. Since it will only have a top head I would assume it should be fairly easy but wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if there are any tips? Am I better off just waiting for one of these 10" Tama or Pearl toms to show up on eBay?
    This sounds like an good DIY project - as you don't intend to cut a new bearing edge and there are no holes drilled for mounting hardware on the shell of a Pearl Vision tom it should be quite easy to do.

If the tom is not wrapped I would just mark a line with a pencil, drill a pilot hole about 16th inch below the line and cut the tom in half with a jigsaw power tool, or even a tenon saw if I didn't have power tools available. Then remove the excess material with a sander, or a file - or even a block of wood with a flat surface wrapped in sandpaper.

As you aren't attempting to cut a new bearing edge you don't need to strive for perfection - it won't make any difference if it isn't PERFECTLY flat - as long as it looks flat it should be good enough. If you want a perfectly flat edge use a sheet of place glass covered in fine grit sandpaper to finish, but you don't really need to go that far.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Although, I did have 2 holes drilled because I installed a Tama-style mount on the shell at one point. I plan on installing an LP bracket to mount it to a Tama tom arm. The LP brackets take up less vertical space so work well on shallow drums. Hopefully the 2 small holes already drilled for the old mount won't have an effect on this being cut well.

User Info Menu

This might give you some ideas . I hope it helps . I'm going to cut down some shells too as soon as the rain lets up and the air dries some .
    There are a couple of videos that show you how to do it with a table saw but I didn't know if you had a table saw .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I had a really crummy Pearl Forum kit and I took the 10" tom and cut it in half. I first took off the wrap then just took a jigsaw to it. I sanded and stained it and only left the top hardware/head and turned it into a timbale-ish drum. Tightened the head up nice and tight, added a Pearl suspension mount and boom - an extra drum to screw around with from time to time. It's not great, but it does the trick.

User Info Menu

I have cut a kit in half with a hand saw (except the floor tom). I cut one tom by myself, and my mentor really wanted in on the action so he did the BD and other high tom. It was a lot harder than you might expect, but doable. The wrap made it a bit difficult, but done.

They ring more now, but the sound its still fine. In theory, I could use the reso head side, buy rims and have two more drums...would this work and is it a good idea? they are just sitting in my closet right now...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    In theory, I could use the reso head side, buy rims and have two more drums...would this work and is it a good idea? they are just sitting in my closet right now...
    I don't see why that wouldn't work if it's still in good shape after being cut. Parts are easy and cheap to find so you wouldn't be losing much if it didn't work out.