Thread: Question about PDP / DW hardware...

User Info Menu

Default Question about PDP / DW hardware...

Hello there. Can any of you answer any of the questions I have about PDP hardware, specifically their memory locks? Here's an email I sent to the DW customer service this morning...
    -----------------

Hello there! OK, last Thursday I ordered a 7 piece PDP Concept Maple kit in royal blue to black.

QUESTION 1…
    I plan to get this kit on the stage this weekend but I REALLY need to know if there are memory locks included on ALL the tom L arms and for the floor tom legs.

QUESTION 2…
    If the kit does not come with these all of these memory locks, I need to know if you make hinged memory locks for the PDP L arms and floor tom legs. I do not see them on the website.

QUESTION 3…
    If PDP does not make memory locks for their L arms and floor toms, are there DW hinged memory locks that will fit and work with the PDP L arms and floor tom legs?

Thank you for responding to each of my questions. I've used DW hardware for YEARS and I just think it's the best! I just need to know these answers because I may end up having to just upgrade to all new DW 1/2" L arms, floor tom legs, and the memory locks that fit if PDP does NOT offer them.

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about PDP / DW hardware...

1) My kit did NOT come with memory locks but I have an older PDP X7. Most all the other PDP kits also do not come as I've seen in stores.
    2) I spent forever searching. They did make memory locks. I did get some myself.
    3) DW ones will not work as they are a 12mm and PDP arms are 10.5mm

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I just bought a new Concept Maple. It definitely comes with hinged memory locks for the tom L-rods. I don't THINK it has locks on the FT legs. I don't remember seeing any, but my kit is packed away at our practice spot, so I cant look now.

FWIW- I was not overly impressed with the quality of the Concept hardware (tom mount, brackets, memory locks, etc.). It's OK, but certainly not DW. The memory locks feel cheap and are a sloppy fit in the bracket. Same goes for the wing nuts, chrome plating, etc.. It may be representative of modern China mid-level kits, but not even close to the old Tama, Pearl, or Premier hardware that I was used to. Mine will be a "gig kit", so suspect I will be replacing hardware with better quality stuff as time and money allows.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

^N2Bluz

what do you tom locks look like?

User Info Menu

Kinda like the DW and Gibraltar 10.5mm hinged locks, except the anti-rotation tab that sticks up is taller and narrower. It's probably 1/8" narrower than the slot in the clamp bracket that it inserts into. That makes for a very sloppy fit. It feels like it's cast from cheap "pot metal" and the hinge is rather sloppy.

I hate to bash on PDP. For the money, this is an awesome kit. ...but it's obvious where they cut corners to get the price point down. Since I play 1-up, I'll probably replace the bass mounted double tom mount with a single, or go virgin and hang the tom from a stand. When I do, I'll probably use Gibraltar stuff. If this kit would be set up and left up, it wouldn't bother me. The last thing I need is to break a bolt, wingnut, clamp, etc, when I'm setting up for a gig.

I looked at your thread; they look very similar to the DW locks you bought. I have the same STM mounts you have. It would be nice to have a quality lock that actually fits in the STM mount like it should.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 09-21-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

yeah mine are very sloppy. Once the tom is on it you can still lock it in place not straight (if that makes sense) but it gets me super close and adjusting is easy. But I'm glad it's all on a rack.

User Info Menu

Drum Factory Direct sells memory locks that will fit whatever arms/legs don't end up having one. They are heavy duty and cheap ($3 or so for each). The memory lock is not hinged, but it is not the regular type either...more like a multi clamp style, and it has 2 drum key screws to keep it tightened. Very easy to install and remove without having to adjust your hardware to get it on or off. They will fit 9.5mm to 12.7mm rods.