Thread: Yamaha RHH135 with Roland TD-3?

User Info Menu

Unhappy Yamaha RHH135 with Roland TD-3?

I have a Roland TD-3 kit and drum module from about 8 years ago. I just recently had some trouble with the Roland FD-8 hi-hat controller foot pedal not closing properly anymore. I tried a couple fixes, but nothing worked great. But instead of spending $150 on the hi-hat controller that I really didn't like anyway, I finally decided to upgrade my hi-hat and controller.

I wanted a real feel hi-hat and controller for the electronic kit. My choices seemed to basically be the Roland VH-11 and the Yamaha RHH135. I was able to play a Yamaha kit at a local Guitar Center and really liked the feel of the RHH135, so I felt the price difference made it worth buying the RHH135.

Well... It's not working. I don't know if I just have it set up wrong, or if it's truly incompatible with this drum module. The hi-hat cymbal triggers just fine, but it's as if the hi-hat controller signal does nothing, because closing the hi-hat doesn't affect the sound at all. Does anyone have any experience with getting a hi-hat like this working with the TD-3? Please help! I'm $350 into a hi-hat that is so far worthless :-(

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha RHH135 with Roland TD-3?

While ekits are a bit cross-compatible, generally speaking you are quite limited if you want to do something which involved multiple zones.

My advice, exchange the yammy for the roland, but even then your module might not register it due to its age. One way or another, companies get you with planned obsolescence, im typing on an imac from 2008, had to replace the hard drive a few years back, but it works fine. However, some browsers, websites and programs simply won't work with it...

If you can't exchange, it is possible for you to use a normal HH? I find with headphones the noise levels are about right and unless it's after quite hours, i'm not worried about the neighbors...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha RHH135 with Roland TD-3?

Yamaha and Roland use different methods for the hi hat controller. One uses a switch (Yamaha) while Roland uses an FSR (force sensitive resistor) to create the open/close on the hi hat. As you've already figured out, the RHH135 will not work on the TD-3. The VH11 wlll work, but the module only supports open/close/half open, so I don't think it's going to give you what you're after either and will be a big investment for something that will do the same as a cy-5.

You could call Roland and order a new FSR for your FD-8. I replaced mine and ordered a spare at the same time.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.