Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dw 9000 series hardware

User Info Menu

Default Dw 9000 series hardware

Hello. I have speculated a lot about buying some of the 9000 series. I have read mixed things about them, especially the 9500 hi hat stand.
    It is supposed to have "plastic tube insolators" as dw call it in their 9000 series stands, to prevent noices when recording etc. So does anybody knows exactly how it looks like? Is it nylon material or softer? So if it is plastic inside of the tubings, then how durable is it over long time? I mean if it is plastic inside of the tubes, then couldnt that wear during usage and cause play inside the tubes and rattling etc? I like heavy weight stands and hardware, so that is not a downside for me. I would be very glad to hear some experiences and toughts about the dw 9000 hardware.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dw 9000 series hardware

If you don't mind lugging it around, it won't let you down. If it's robust heavy duty but well thought out hardware you want then it's a good choice.
    But 'tis so true...all that steel weighs many pounds and it will get your attention quickly.

User Info Menu

Ive got two of the bad boys - As Noreastbob stated --- it has a heavy weight to it - But, it will hold an almost 18 pound snare drum rock solid...in any basket position you might want and it will not move - until you decide to move it yourself. It has no "fixed" adjustments - as a lot of snare stands are - this one will tilt forward, backward..to the left or to the right - the snare basket even moves forward to place the snare several inches off center to get the stand legs out of the way of the double pedal drive shaft.
    I have had one in play since 2013 and I love it - A buddy of mine sold off his drum gear and he had one of these DW 9300s - he needed the cash...so I bought it and now I have 2 of them -
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have several 9000 series pieces and I'd never hesitate to change and upgrade every stand to them. Don't let the noise reduction plastic worry you. It's not plastic it's like a synthetic rubber plastic that covers moving pieces to prevent sound yes. Really does work and works great. My hardware is solid as a rock.. I love my two legged hi-hat and pedals and my floating snare basket is one of the best purchases I've made for my rack and kit. So adjustable it's ridiculous!

User Info Menu

Thank you a lot for the replies guys! I love heavy hardware, even when i must drag it for shows. Just love the heavy, sturdy quality feel. I think I will go for the 9000 series.
    Im picking up a new drum kit in november and need new hardware for it.
    Wont be using my old hardware that followed with my 15 year old Yamaha stage custum kit. Nothing wrong with the yamaha hardware that still works great, especially the hi hat. But I want new gear for my new drum set

And by the way. The drum set im gonna get is a 2 years old used DW Collector´s series in cherry wood, and white glass finnish with black nickel hardware.

24"x16" bass drum, 10×6,5 rack tom, 12×7,5 rack tom, 16"×12" floor tom, 18"×14" floor tom and 14"×6,5" snare. Its also mounted a monorail inside the bass drum with an AKG D112 on it. Cant wait

User Info Menu

Dont Forget - We Love Pics of Drums - so take some when you get your "new to you kit"
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

whats the new kit?

User Info Menu

Most high end stands have something like that at the top of each tube to prevent noise. I'm not sure if the DW 9000 material is different but I've never had a problem with any of these from any brand getting destroyed.
    As far as the hardware itself, I personally think you can get the same thing for quite a bit less from Yamaha, Tama or Mapex. The quality is generally better, the stands can be just as adjustable (or more so in some cases) and they are A LOT cheaper. Unless you are insistent on having the same brand of hardware as your kit I would definitely look around before spending a lot more on just a name.

User Info Menu

Yes sure i will post pics of it when i get it In november.

And it is a dw collector series cherrywood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Most high end stands have something like that at the top of each tube to prevent noise. I'm not sure if the DW 9000 material is different but I've never had a problem with any of these from any brand getting destroyed.
    As far as the hardware itself, I personally think you can get the same thing for quite a bit less from Yamaha, Tama or Mapex. The quality is generally better, the stands can be just as adjustable (or more so in some cases) and they are A LOT cheaper. Unless you are insistent on having the same brand of hardware as your kit I would definitely look around before spending a lot more on just a name.

Okay. And I not neccesarily need hardware In the same brand as the drumkit.
    I tought the dw hardware top series was the best quality hardware you could get. But i have never tried any dw hardware myself. So did you had any issues with dw hardware and quality to it? If so, then what products and what issues?
    The middleseries of their hardware are maybe not always more expensive than other brands. But the topseries is not spared anything on as i have understood.
    Thanks for your advice and toughts.

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong, DW 9000 hardware isn't bad. I'm just saying that the top series from some other brands are a lot less and have the same quality. When you buy DW you aren't really getting a better quality stand than a top-of-the-line Yamaha one. It's really just a name. So I'm just saying I would look at the other brands too before making up your mind.
    Also consider that a lot of DW parts are not universal, so if something needs to be replaced you might have a harder time finding the part. With most other stands you can get any part and it will fit.
    I've personally had problems with DW parts stripping and breaking...not with any other hardware. Thrones, cymbal arms, etc. I've also owned Yamaha hardware that must have been 20 years old and it still works like new. At one point I had a 20" ride, 18" china, 16" ozone crash, 14" china, 14" ozone crash, 12" china, 10" splash, 8" china and a cowbell all on one of the heavy Yamaha stands and it barely wobbled. So as you can see their stuff can be really heavy duty too.

User Info Menu

I would encourage you to take a look at TAMA's Star series of hardware.

In two words, unbelievable and affordable.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would encourage you to take a look at TAMA's Star series of hardware.

In two words, unbelievable and affordable.
    This. I tried some out recently and was very very impressed.

User Info Menu

Okay, i get You. Was it the DW 9000 series you had experience with or cheaper series?
    I Will also take a look at the other brands topseries.

I also heard much good about the sonor hardware.
    Last edited by Oystein; 10-03-2015 at 05:39 AM.

User Info Menu

I have just checked the Tama star series. Very nice hardware. I have compared it to dw`s 9000 series, and it is about the same price more or less. So that you only pay for the DW name may not always be true. Also with their drum kits, many say they are overpriced and just paying for the name. But if you check other brands top series similar custom top of the lines, they would be just as expensive. For exaple pearl reference compared to DW performance. Or a collector series to a pearl master with similar specs etc.
    But I agree that Yamaha is simple reliable good hardware. That give you much for the money. I have a Yamaha hi hat that I like a lot.

User Info Menu

I use Yamaha hardware, most of it close to twenty years old, and ZERO problems with any of it after lots of gigging. However, if I was outfitting a new DW kit, I would take a very hard look at the Tama Star series hardware, as Bish noted. Truth be told, the Tama hardware is far superior to the DW stuff. Even though I'm a DW fan, their hardware - even the top tier gear - is much, much too heavy and clunky in comparison to the Tama product. And, the Tama hardware looks good with DW drums! Not to mention the savings.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I use Yamaha hardware, most of it close to twenty years old, and ZERO problems with any of it after lots of gigging. However, if I was outfitting a new DW kit, I would take a very hard look at the Tama Star series hardware, as Bish noted. Truth be told, the Tama hardware is far superior to the DW stuff. Even though I'm a DW fan, their hardware - even the top tier gear - is much, much too heavy and clunky in comparison to the Tama product. And, the Tama hardware looks good with DW drums! Not to mention the savings.

GeeDeeEmm
    I have looked on the Tama star series. Besides of the pedal stuff like bass drums pedals and hi hat etc, DW 9000 series and Tama star series are about the same price. Atleast the snare stand and the cymbal boom stand. Just cumpare them on same online stores and you`ll see. I need something that could hold several things. But both will do fine there i guess. Dw stuf is buildt like a tank, which I kinda like. And I have heard from people that owns it that their steel and material quality is top notch
    Thanks for your imput.
    Last edited by Oystein; 10-03-2015 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I see the heaviest Yamaha boom stand model selling for $120 online, and the lowest price on the DW version I can find is $150...and as I mentioned before I had A LOT mounted on one of these...I don't think the one I had was even the heaviest model.
    What all are you wanting to mount?

User Info Menu

I see the heaviest Yamaha boom stand model selling for $120 online, and the lowest price on the DW version I can find is $150...and as I mentioned before I had A LOT mounted on one of these...I don't think the one I had was even the heaviest model.
    What all are you wanting to mount?

Okay' so what is the name of yamaha's heaviest stands/ series?
    I will probably have one 12" tom + 22" raid and some crashes i think

User Info Menu

One other option would be to look at TAMA's Roadpro. It is very similar to Star series but way less expensive. The Star series is all newly designed and quite different from the Roadpro but just as stout.

In comparison price wise, the similar Roadpro is almost half the cost. I think I like the Roadpro snare stand better than the Star in that instance but I'm in total awe of the boom/cymbal stand and its newly engineered pivot point where the boom mounts.

Take a seriously close look at that particular joint. It's a masterpiece of engineering like no other. Plus, it's simple in design but more versatile than any other stand I've owned.

I also don't want to say anything negative about DW hardware. It's earned its reputation as a solid platform but in hauling that heavy gear every weekend to gigs was too much.

For price, performance, reliability, ease of use and price, I believe the TAMA Roadpro would be my first choice.

Sheesh, I sound like a commercial. But I do have years of experience and not just repeating what others have said.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

One other option would be to look at TAMA's Roadpro. It is very similar to Star series but way less expensive. The Star series is all newly designed and quite different from the Roadpro but just as stout.

In comparison price wise, the similar Roadpro is almost half the cost. I think I like the Roadpro snare stand better than the Star in that instance but I'm in total awe of the boom/cymbal stand and its newly engineered pivot point where the boom mounts.

Take a seriously close look at that particular joint. It's a masterpiece of engineering like no other. Plus, it's simple in design but more versatile than any other stand I've owned.

I also don't want to say anything negative about DW hardware. It's earned its reputation as a solid platform but in hauling that heavy gear every weekend to gigs was too much.

For price, performance, reliability, ease of use and price, I believe the TAMA Roadpro would be my first choice.

Sheesh, I sound like a commercial. But I do have years of experience and not just repeating what others have said.

Yes Tama hardware seems real solid for a good price In general. I talked with the guy selling me the Dw drums today, and he would get me all dw hardware very very cheap because he have sponsors. So i'll say Yes to that. But if i will get a set of double pedals later, then i will probably try get the tama iron cobra pedals. They seams really Nice and not too expensive. So i think i will pick them over dw if im getting double pedals later.

User Info Menu

The 2 heaviest Yamaha stands appear to be the CS865 and CS965 (900 series is heavier).
    Tama Roadpro is also amazing, and cheaper as mentioned above. I have a Roadpro stand base which holds up a ton of stuff as well, and could easily mount toms and crashes. It's a pretty basic stand as far as features go, but it's heavy and strong and really the DW stand doesn't have any more features. Do you have any music stores around you that stock any of these stands or do you have to order?

User Info Menu

The 2 heaviest Yamaha stands appear to be the CS865 and CS965 (900 series is heavier).
    Tama Roadpro is also amazing, and cheaper as mentioned above. I have a Roadpro stand base which holds up a ton of stuff as well, and could easily mount toms and crashes. It's a pretty basic stand as far as features go, but it's heavy and strong and really the DW stand doesn't have any more features. Do you have any music stores around you that stock any of these stands or do you have to order?
    We have him thinking now don't we...or confused. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Another Tama Roadpro fanboy here.

I'm considering replacing a few of my non-Tama boom stands with Roadpro range, I can't see any situation where I would need to upgrade my few items of Roadpro hardware

User Info Menu

We have him thinking now don't we...or confused. LOL

Probably confused! But, that's what you get when you ask opinions, eh? Of course, we all know that it's practically impossible to make a bad hardware purchase today, especially if the hardware is from one of the majors. The only exception will be in pedals, simply because we all have a certain feel that we are looking for. And, certainly, various manufacturer's stands have individual "feels" to them during adjustment due to tilter designs, thread patterns, nylon inserts, etc, etc. But they all do a great job of sitting there and holding up a cymbal and maybe a tom.

I recommended the OP go with the Tama stands because of their gracious, beautiful, and functional design - specifically the curved legs (I'm a guy - I love legs!) of the Roadpro and Star lines. In contrast to my utilitarian-looking Yamahas or the generic-looking DW stands, the Tamas pay tribute to the beautifully curvy styles of past. The Tamas are just downright classy.

GeeDeeEmm