Thread: ISTANBUL ION CHINA prone to cracking?

User Info Menu

Default ISTANBUL ION CHINA prone to cracking?

hi guys, I've been thinking a lot about purchasing a new china and I liked the 16" Istanbul Ion china, but..... those holes........... I mean.. Do those holes make the cymbal weaker? more prone to cracking? I'm hesitating but I love the sound. another alternative would be the Stagg 18" DH that has a beautiful sound as well.
    I'm confused, which one is more durable.

User Info Menu

Default Re: ISTANBUL ION CHINA prone to cracking?

I bought an 18" a years ago. I've had no issues with it. I leave all my China's loose on the stand so they can move with the impact. And I don't wail on them.
    Oh sounds great too.

User Info Menu

The holes are for sound effects. Really shouldn't effect the chances of cracking.

But realize no cymbal is truly safe from cracking if you're hitting it and playing.
    But they'll usually crack on an edge (at least all of my china's have)
    As stated above make sure to keep the cymbal free on the stand so it can move with the impact of your stick hit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I bought an 18" a years ago. I've had no issues with it. I leave all my China's loose on the stand so they can move with the impact. And I don't wail on them.
    Oh sounds great too.
    Oh dude I was waiting for your answer. I will buy this maybe. thanks a lot NPYYZ

User Info Menu

good point mate! thanks you all for answering.

User Info Menu

The holes can make the cymbal weaker if they are large, but if you keep your cymbal loose as mentioned and hit it correctly it should be fine. Lots of people use cymbals with holes in them now. Just be careful with it and you shouldn't have a problem.