Thread: Trying something different - floor tom placement

User Info Menu

Default Trying something different - floor tom placement

I've been reading about placing the second floor tom on the hi-hat side of the kit (left side for most, right side for lefties like me). From what I've read, a lot of people like it because it opens up a lot more creativity and possibilities when working your way around the kit. I read that in theory, setting up a 6 piece kit like this almost gives you two 4-piece kits, with the 12" and 16" toms to the left, and 10" and 14" toms to the right, and the snare and kick in the center. Other people don't like it for various reasons, most of them related to breaking the natural flow of the toms. So I thought why not, I'll give it a try. I moved my 14" FT to my right side. I only got to play the kit for about 15 minutes in this configuration today, but just in that little bit of time, I can see the pros and cons of this set-up. It definitely opens up a lot of options for tom fills, and gets me away from the standard 1/8th note or 1/16th note descending progression. It's going to take some trying out to see if I really like it or not. I'm going to leave it this way for at least 2 weeks, to give it an honest attempt.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you set up your kits this way, or similar?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying something different - floor tom placement

There was a time decades ago, when I used double floors on both sides. It would be in clubs where:

A) I knew I would take a solo.

B) I knew there was enough room on the stage where I could put them behind me until I wanted them.

Now, when I get bored, I'll set up 9 toms. They are a lot of fun to mess around on, but I don't think I would have used all of them in my playing days.

You can see the set-up in the drum videos in 9 toms and drums in A#, if you are interested.

By the way, I'm lefty also (actually ambidextrous) but more lefty than righty. When I started, all the drum sets I would see on TV were all right-handed sets, so I figured that's how you had to set them up. I was 10, what did I know.

User Info Menu

nice heads
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    nice heads
    Thanks. I've tried, Remo, I've tried Evans, but I keep coming back to Aquarian. Of course everyone has their own personal preference, but to my ears, Aquarian are the best heads for my money.

User Info Menu

I ran my 1 up 2 down with a floor tom on each side about a year ago. The only reason why I tried it was because I saw Mike Mangini and Neil peart had them on both sides. It's pretty fun to play, and I usually switch my floor toms around.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I can imagine for a lefty this set up could be especially interesting, since lefties have a history of doing things a bit differently (side note, the last 20+ years America has had a lefty president).

even easier way of getting out of the descending patterns on the toms is to play a 4 piece set (10,16 toms). at least to my ears, that pattern gets really old with that set up and it doesn't always "feel right". Now if only i was better and more creative to really work with it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    By the way, I'm lefty also (actually ambidextrous) but more lefty than righty. When I started, all the drum sets I would see on TV were all right-handed sets, so I figured that's how you had to set them up. I was 10, what did I know.
    Me too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I can imagine for a lefty this set up could be especially interesting, since lefties have a history of doing things a bit differently (side note, the last 20+ years America has had a lefty president).

even easier way of getting out of the descending patterns on the toms is to play a 4 piece set (10,16 toms). at least to my ears, that pattern gets really old with that set up and it doesn't always "feel right". Now if only i was better and more creative to really work with it...
    1. Shades of Ringo (lefty who plays righty).

2. I knew Obama, G. H. W. Bush, and Clinton are left handed. I did not know that G. W. Bush is. I found it somewhat odd that Clinton golfs and swings a baseball bat righty, like my left handed son does.

As to lefties doing things differently, when my son can play my bass guitars, which are righty.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

First, I'll say I've tried a snare over there and a floor tom. Extra alternate snare sound was cool, but I hated how I had to turn to get to it with both hands.
    I missed the floor not being on my right the most. I might add a tom and keep my two up-two down intact. make it a two up-three down. Hmmmm...
    Right now, I have an unused speaker there as a little table. Tuning key, beverage, phone, CD player remote. Quite convenient.

Second topic...
    How do you like that hi-hat drop thing you're using? I hate my Gibraltar drop clutch.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

On almost every kit I won I have to have a floor tom on both sides. I absolutely love having one on my hi-hat side.

User Info Menu

I'm still on the fence as far as which kit to keep in my drum room. I'm seriously considering going back to my 3 piece 12/16/22 Tama Superstar kit, and place my extra 14 FT on the hi hat side. It's really tempting!

User Info Menu

^do it!