Thread: First Live Show in Years

User Info Menu

Default First Live Show in Years

So, a couple of months ago, I accepted the offer of taking the drum duties for Iraconji, a Nashville thrash/death metal band. We've had some solid practices since then, and we finally debuted the new lineup at a show on September 26th in Murfreesboro. We also have a new, second guitarist, in addition to myself being the new drummer.

This was my first live show in over five years, since joining the army.

It felt enlightening! Amazing. Surreal. Everything that I remember about playing live has come back into the forefront of my mind, and it's even better than I remembered. It's good for the soul. It also greatly aids in my transition out of the army (I am now a proud civilian once again, on that note), and the last 5 years of active duty was riddled with stress and anxiety. Joining an active band during the last months of my service, and going on to playing live shows, is EXTREMELY therapeutic. I would say it's an incredible way to end my active duty service, and rejoin the civilian world once again.

Playing that show made me feel that is where I truly belong. On the stage, behind the drums, performing for people, and playing my heart out. It was simply amazing.

Performance-wise, we did pretty well. I had a few hiccups, but I'm definitely not holding it against myself. We got the "first show anxiety" out of the way, and they will only get better from here. On-stage mix was bad, and we weren't the only outfit that suffered that. Again, that's ok. It only gets better from here.

That's all I wanted to share. I'm back where I truly belong, and it's extremely gratifying. I'm sure a few of you can relate.

EDIT: by the way, the band has been around since 2008 or 2009, so they are no strangers to the local scene. They have a pretty solid footing in the Nashville metal arena. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people that came to the show, to see Iraconji's triumphant return to the stage - they were waiting for it, for sure. They all were aware of the issues regarding the previous drummer, which I won't get into because it's not my place. But my point is that people were dying to see the band perform live again. After we did, the compliments we received (and me, personally, since I'm the new drummer) were very overwhelming and heartwarming. It completely restored my sense of pride in my drumming, and performing in general.
    Last edited by Vhyle; 10-04-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Live Show in Years

Man that's awesome. Congrats on being back where you belong!

Tex

User Info Menu

Yes!

Being in a band isn't for everybody, but for some of us it's a wonderful thing.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Great to hear you're back in the saddle.....or throne. AND, thank you for your service and dedication to the protection of us all.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hey Kyle.. Vhyle's an ugly nickname..But I listen to your solo stuff and the ambient deathmetal..I thought it very impressive good guitar playing as well..and your blog on what's it like to live in a 3rd world country really made me greatfull to be an American.. And lastly thank you so much for your service.. God bless
    Last edited by wired; 10-04-2015 at 04:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you guys, I appreciate it.

Wired - thanks for checking out my music! I'm glad to hear you dig it. As far as the "Vhyle" nickname - it's used pretty loosely. Everyone in person just calls me Kyle, haha
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

that first show can be intense and nerve wrecking!

Speeds and tempos go out the window and adrenaline just pumps thru you!

Congrats on the new gig!