Thread: Not another Evans vs. Remo thread

User Info Menu

Default Not another Evans vs. Remo thread

Yup, I'm going there...
    I know that it's so personal and subjective, But if you could describe the difference in an Evans EC2 or a Remo clear pinstripe, how would you?

NOT which is better, but how they differ.

Is one longer lasing, more/less attack, tone, etc.?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not another Evans vs. Remo thread

I tried both clear Pins and clear EC2's (back to back trial) on my Premier XPK kit. Basically, the bare EC2's sounded almost identical to the Pins with moongel on them. This was at a medium-tight tuning. I gigged with both heads, and the Pins actually sounded better to me (more full and tonal) from the audience. The EC's sound better (more Controlled) from the throne. I left the EC2's on the kit, since I rarely gig with it now.

I would say if youre playing at home or using mics, the EC2s would be the way to go. If you're playing live, un-mic'd, then the Pins will carry through the mix better. I heard some people had issues with the control rings flaking off with the EC's. I never had that problem myself.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I myself is for the clear EC2's and love the sound that I get from them. I have tried Remo Ambs, Emps etc and was not impressed with any of them. Evans G2's were my favorite for years till the EC2's came out. I also never had any issues with the rings flaking off.

User Info Menu

I did just purchase all Evans heads after many hours of trial and error. They just seem to have a warmer tone to them with just the right amount of attack.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I use EC2 frosted and just like the lows I get from them.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I've had both. The pinstripes are my preference because they are very warm sounding. The ec2's are way too plasticy for what I like. The ring on the ec2 chipped off pretty quickly, so the heads don't look too nice. The Remo's just gave a better sound IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I got my kit new in 2009 and the resos are the stock ones. I put emperors on as batters shortly there after. I know I haven't played them often, but that's really old...

Maybe that's why I'm struggling to get a clean tone...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Just pulled the trigger on a full set of Evans coated G2 on Amazon. Now we wait on the brown truck...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

You should check your reso's and see if they are still "toned" up. After several years mine needed some fine tuning but still hold their resonation. (new word)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    You should check your reso's and see if they are still "toned" up. After several years mine needed some fine tuning but still hold their resonation. (new word)
    I have a full set of reso heads. I took off the stock single ply batters before playing them. I boxed them up with the intention of making a set of resos. They are basically Taiwanese spec'd ambassadors.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

In general Evans heads sound "darker" or "warmer". When people use these terms and then I hear it for myself it usually translates to less attack. So there it is, the big difference will be preference, i.e. do you like more or less pronounced attack. There's some slight difference in the chemical properties of the Mylar the two brands use and the way they heat and form the heads. The result, to me, is that Evans heads feel more "rubber like" and sound warmer, while Remo heads feel more "plastic like" and have more attack. I use Remo all around.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    In general Evans heads sound "darker" or "warmer". When people use these terms and then I hear it for myself it usually translates to less attack. So there it is, the big difference will be preference, i.e. do you like more or less pronounced attack. There's some slight difference in the chemical properties of the Mylar the two brands use and the way they heat and form the heads. The result, to me, is that Evans heads feel more "rubber like" and sound warmer, while Remo heads feel more "plastic like" and have more attack. I use Remo all around.
    Good way of putting it. I was unaware though, that the mylar was different. I thought it all was made by chemical giant duPont.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've had both. The pinstripes are my preference because they are very warm sounding. The ec2's are way too plasticy for what I like. The ring on the ec2 chipped off pretty quickly, so the heads don't look too nice. The Remo's just gave a better sound IMO.
    Exactly why I don't like the EC2. Way way way too "plasticy" too much attack. No warmth to my ears. And the ring ALWAYS flakes off...even the replacement heads Evans sent me to address the issue.

I stick with the classics. Coated G1 and G2, depending how I feel. A little tuning goes a long way.

User Info Menu

Haven’t tried Evans I have been using Remo but I don’t have issues trying different heads.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

One thing i’ve Noticed recently is that all Remo heads seem slightly too small for the shell. You could push on one end and the other end would go up if it just sat on the shell. I put an emad2 on my kick and it fit like a glove. Evans heads tune up so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    One thing i’ve Noticed recently is that all Remo heads seem slightly too small for the shell. You could push on one end and the other end would go up if it just sat on the shell. I put an emad2 on my kick and it fit like a glove. Evans heads tune up so much easier.
    I've had the exact same issue recently with more than one Remo head. I figured it was an issue with my shells (which admittedly are not the best quality). The Evans heads with the "360" collar design ALLWAYS sit flat and tune well...even on my crappy shells. I still prefer the sound& feel of Remo's, but knowing that Evans will fit & tune easily, I've been buying more Evans.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 10-04-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Ec2's are more punchy I'd say... Pins are a bit warmer... Ec2's tuned low sounds amazing in a mic, almost pre EQ'd. great for rock, metal, and big... They do decay quickly.. I wouldn't personally call them plasticy, maybe if you tune higher?

I used to use pins too... TBH they are pretty similar, they ring out a bit more... Evans heads fit very different than Remo. so they are different on every kit.