Thread: As promised, my Yamaha Live Customs

User Info Menu

Default As promised, my Yamaha Live Customs

I finally got around to taking some pictures of my Yammy's with 2 of the 3 additions. I'm still waiting on the 10X7 to come in and get shipped to me.

In the meantime, I placed the 14X13 and the 8X7.

20151004_105809 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20151004_105832 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20151004_105900 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

20151004_105844 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: As promised, my Yamaha Live Customs

Man you have nice toys Bish, how many kits do you have? What is the size of that bass? 22x16?
    Last edited by myk; 10-08-2015 at 11:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Man you have nice toys Bish, how many kits do you have? What is the size of that bass? 22x16?
    Thanks, it's 22X14.

I have 3 TAMA kits:
    Starclassic Peformers B/B
    Superstar Classics in Maple
    Silverstar Bop in Birch

1 Yamaha Live Customs in Oak

1 Pearl Masters MCX Maple

2 practice kits. 1 being the resurrection kit. The other a combination of Pulse 22X18 bass drum, 18" Fl tom and 8" and 10" TAMA Swingtar add-on pack in a black wrap.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I think out of all your kits I like this one the best, but they are all drop dead gorgeous.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

WOW Those are gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Adding to the positive comments, yes...............Bish has many beautiful kits.
    I would like to spend a day just playing and listening to all of them in order to see if I actually have a preference.

Out of all of the Bish kits, the Pearl maples have the most gorgeous sparkle wrap that I have ever seen.............and I have never been a fan of Pearl.........but those MCX shells are great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

22x14 must be punchy,nice size.they offered that or costom order?

User Info Menu

Nice! Do you accept play dates?

User Info Menu

+1 on 22x14 bass drums. That's what I have with my Ludwig kit and I love it. Great balance between boom and bite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    +1 on 22x14 bass drums. That's what I have with my Ludwig kit and I love it. Great balance between boom and bite.
    I have had a 14X24 for many years and it sounds very good.
    I know a manager for a major drum company that has done tests on bass drums and toms of various shape.
    His results suggest the old 14" depth bass shell is optimal for batter-reso response; the 16" depth is very good as well...............at 18 & 20 inches, the reso is getting too far from the batter to provide the proper response, whatever that is.
    He also claims that is why an 18" floor with 16" depth works better than an 18X18.
    I really don't know what criteria he used to test the shells and to measure the sound or make these statements.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Beautiful set! thank you for the info of the size tests your friend did. I have the 24x18 right now but wouldn't mind trimming down to a 24x16 someday.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Beautiful set! thank you for the info of the size tests your friend did. I have the 24x18 right now but wouldn't mind trimming down to a 24x16 someday.
    Don't get me wrong, I have heard some 18" deep basses that sounded really great.............but they take up more stage sq. ft.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I believe that 14" is the ideal bass drum depth.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Adding to the positive comments, yes...............Bish has many beautiful kits.
    I would like to spend a day just playing and listening to all of them in order to see if I actually have a preference.

Out of all of the Bish kits, the Pearl maples have the most gorgeous sparkle wrap that I have ever seen.............and I have never been a fan of Pearl.........but those MCX shells are great.
    Thank you very much. My door is always open for any of my DC friends. Just can't put you up overnight.

That was the standard configuration when I ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nice! Do you accept play dates?
    Astonishingly, I do.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Another beautiful kit, Bish. Do you intend to continue using the Tama hardware with the kit, or are you adding Yamaha stands later?

I wish Yamaha would offer another version of this kit with chrome die cast hoops and chrome fixtures. I have more traditional tastes when it comes to aesthetics, and chrome die cast hoops would really make these kits pop visually, especially against the dark finish.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Bish on a side note, do you find the cobra coils work? I've read many opinions,I recently bought Iron Cobras with the coil provisions, so I'm contemplating buying the coils,.thanks
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Another beautiful kit, Bish. Do you intend to continue using the Tama hardware with the kit, or are you adding Yamaha stands later?
    GeeDeeEmm
    Yeah, I'm kinda dorky in that regard. I actually have a hardware pack I'm about to pull the trigger on. Just debating on what cymbals to add, too.

Bish on a side note, do you find the cobra coils work? I've read many opinions,I recently bought Iron Cobras with the coil provisions, so I'm contemplating buying the coils,.thanks
    Mike
    Are you referring to the spring under the foot board? If so, I really can't tell. The only way I knew it was there was by picking up the pedal and giving it a once over. But I've also never owned full length foot boards so maybe it's a compensation factor. If you are referring to something else, please enlighten me.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yes the spring under the footboard,I've read that some people take them out and don't notice any difference(they're on Iron Cobras too),maybe more of a gimmick? Some say when they do blast beats that the coils actually bring the footboard up too fast before the beater gets back..I don't know they are like $40 for the two up here

User Info Menu

Just noticed your tom mount is facing opposite the way mine does...does that get you closer to the BD, better pedal action? I hadn't given much thought to that mount until now!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yes the spring under the footboard,I've read that some people take them out and don't notice any difference(they're on Iron Cobras too),maybe more of a gimmick? Some say when they do blast beats that the coils actually bring the footboard up too fast before the beater gets back..I don't know they are like $40 for the two up here
    I thought it was a cool idea but haven't tried it without the spring to compare. It doesn't seem to affect my playing as I'm by no means a speed demon. I like the way they play and am very happy with them as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Just noticed your tom mount is facing opposite the way mine does...does that get you closer to the BD, better pedal action? I hadn't given much thought to that mount until now!
    Ha, good observation. I never gave it any thought. I have mine positioned the way you see it due to the wing nuts facing out where they are more easily accessible to me. I think it also doesn't crowd the toms in too close. I looked on line at many pictures of Yamaha drum sets after reading your post and noticed it used both ways depending on the picture. I say, what ever works best for your situation. When I had my Rogers kit it too could have gone either way and I always had to two receiver holes further away. Makes one ponder, no?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow, absolutely beautiful. The 8" will make it even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks, FBN. I can't wait for the 10" to show up. It's still about 3 weeks out according to the seller.
    Signature here