Thread: Need Cymbal advice

User Info Menu

Default Need Cymbal advice

Ive been asking around on other message boards trying to get as many opinions as I can before making my move. Here is the deal. I just got back into playing and bought a used set of PDPs. Im pretty sure they are entry level but the sound decent. Anyhow the set came with 13" PST3s and am 18" PST3 crash/ride. I know I need to upgrade cymbals NOW. I dont have a ton of cash to spend and am trying to find the best deal I can. A local shop has a pro pack of ZHTs with 14 hats, 16 crash, 18 inch crash and a 20 Med ride for around 350. Or I could get a couple of Sabian AA's (16 and 18 crash) for pretty near the same price. I have been told to buy the upper tier instead of the mid level cymbals because the mid levels dont hold resale value which I understand. However I have checked Ebay and cant seem to find any good deals any of the aforementioned cymbals. I will mainly be a rec player but may play out on occasion.(4 or 5 times a year). Sorry to be so long winded and I appreciate all advice.

Dave

User Info Menu

Dawgkikker, welcome to Drum Chat! Don't ever worry about giving too much information. We'd all rather have too much than too little. As to the cymbals, you have gotten go advice on trying to find cymbals that are a s good as you can afford. They'll just sound better.

I would be curious about the configuration of your kit, though. It might make a difference as to what cymbals you might want to add. Also, you might look into Wuhan S Series cymbals. They are a step up from the lower end cymbals, but without the high end price tag. RRitter has just come onboard with us, and he is an expereinced drummer that uses the Wuhan cymbals. PDPlayer, also thinks they have a nice sound. Just a suggestion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat. If you want Paiste cymbals ask 32ndheartbeat. He's the paiste expert here!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome guys. Im looking mainly at Sabian or Zildjian. I pretty much played those back when I was playing before. Right now I just have your basic 22"bass with 12 and 13" toms and a 16" floor tom. I do have a set of "hi" toms as I call them. They are 8 and 10". But I really dont think Im gonna use them. They just make the kit look "full" for lack of a better term. Like I said the Zildjian pro pack looks like a great deal but I know they are lower end. I dont see me doing any performances anytime soon but I do want to sound decent when I play.

User Info Menu

sam ash has a deal that is all AAX 14'' hats 16'' & 18" aaxplosion crash and a 20'' stage ride for 499.99 thats what i bought and i absolutley love my cymbals. they are great cymbals

User Info Menu

Normally I'd say go for higher end cymbals. For what you want to do (play out a handful times a year), IMHO mid-level would be fine. If you're looking to record then yes, you want the best cymbals you can find. From my experience, Sabian seems to have the best bang for the buck out of the three major companies.(it's debatable) I've used all three though the years. Out of curiosity, what's some of the music stores in your area? I'd prefer to buy cymbals I could play first, but that's just me. Blessings......

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the help. Im thinking for what little I will play out I may just go with the ZHT series from Zildjian. I can get a good deal and it will be all the cymbals I need for the near future. Once I do make a decision I will let yall know what it is and how it worked out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help. Im thinking for what little I will play out I may just go with the ZHT series from Zildjian. I can get a good deal and it will be all the cymbals I need for the near future. Once I do make a decision I will let yall know what it is and how it worked out.
    Hi,

The Wuhans “S” series cymbals are on par with anything the big three have to offer at a fraction of the price and I am totally pleased with mine. If you are sticking with the ZHT series from Zildjian their sound clips on the Zildjian site sound great. I think even better than their “A” line. They are also priced very nice. Wuhans yea! Zildjians ZHT, can’t go wrong there either.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    Hi,

The Wuhans “S” series cymbals are on par with anything the big three have to offer at a fraction of the price and I am totally pleased with mine. If you are sticking with the ZHT series from Zildjian their sound clips on the Zildjian site sound great. I think even better than their “A” line. They are also priced very nice. Wuhans yea! Zildjians ZHT, can’t go wrong there either.

Hey bro out of curiosity, what would you compare the Wuhan S series to in the Paiste, Zildjian, and Sabian lines? I've never used Wuhan (never like their chinas) but I might wanna pick up some of their crashes up to beat on. Blessings........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    Hey bro out of curiosity, what would you compare the Wuhan S series to in the Paiste, Zildjian, and Sabian lines? I've never used Wuhan (never like their chinas) but I might wanna pick up some of their crashes up to beat on. Blessings........
    The Wuhan “S” series are a bright sounding cutting cymbal. My Zildjians, and I love them too are very mellow in comparison. The cymbals also produce a lot of volume with very little effort from the player. My Zildjians require more effort to achive this level of volume. I also find their sound very focused. When I was shopping for cymbals I thought the A Customs and Wuhans where similar. Some may not like such a bright cymbal and the ride may shimmer a little more than many may like but when mixed with the music and you realize what these cymbals are doing for the effects of the song it won’t take you long to come around to the “Bright Side”. One thing, if you play a lot of softer music the Wuhans may not be your best bet. For that style my Zildjians are my pick.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

I'd say instead of buying a bunch of crappy sheet cymbals with you $350, you purchase a high end cast cymbal from your company of choice. Sabian has a great high end selection of cymbals that aren't too pricey. Quality, not quantity lol. Not to be cliche, but that is the truth. If you got really nice hi hats for that much, then saved up for more add ons, you'd be in business.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Well I think I have decided to go with the Sabian AAX series. I have listened to a lot of the clips and listened to you folks. I made a call to an old old friend who I used to play in a band with wayyyyyyy back in the day. He was a bass player but a heckuva drummer. He still plays gigs and such as a drummer. He confirmed what all of you said in going with the cast cymbals. He recommended either the AAX's or Zildjian A customs I believe. Im gonna try Ebay and such for a while then buy new if I have to. Thanks everyone for the advice.

User Info Menu

have you considered Sabian B8? I have 14 HH, 14 and 16 crashes, 18 crash/ride and 20 ride, as well as B8 pro 20 ride, compared to the Zildjian A customs that I also have, I think I prefer the B8's, and they're priced much more affordably.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Ya I checked them at the drum store where I bought my heads. They just didnt have the sound I was looking for. The Zildjian ZHTs were ok. I really like the hats but the crashes just had a little too much of a "metal" sound. I really like the Sabian AAX dark crash series. I'll let ya know how it works out.